Battery keeps going flat

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
swild123

Battery keeps going flat

Post by swild123 »

Happy new year to you all. I need some advice my battery keeps discharging. I’ve put a new battery and regulator and tested it with a multimeter and the voltage going back is good. Can some tell me where all the earths are on the VTR as I was going to clean and check them all hoping that this is the cause maybe?
tony.mon

Re: Battery keeps going flat

Post by tony.mon »

The main one runs from the battery to one of the bolts holding the speedo sensor on to the crankcase just inboard of the rear brake master cylinder.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Daft question
How flat? Is it lights dim flat or just slow to turn the engine over and trouble starting?
If it's losing its charge you may have a partial short somewhere. If it's just not got enough pep to start the bike it could be corroded starter lead/ contacts, a worn starter solenoid or even the motor itself.
These twins take a lot of juice to get going when it's cold out.
Or it could just be a tired old battery

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
popkat

Post by popkat »

if the bike is charging when running and your battery is all good then it's likely you have a parasitic drain, set multi meter to ma remove a battery terminal and put the meter probes between the removed terminal and the post on the battery you took it off (effectively making the connection with the multi meter in line) there should be very little drain, maybe 1 or 2 ma, if there's more then you need to look for the cause, pull fuses until the ma drops, if you find one you've started tracing the fault.. other things to consider is if the bike has an alarm fitted, this would draw more ma, also the hiss if it's a later model may draw a little more. Still if it's draining your battery quick then the ma will show much higher.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
swild123

Post by swild123 »

Thanks for reply’s
The battery is dead flat just clicks
Going to run a few tests over weekend
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

swild123 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:32 am Thanks for reply’s
The battery is dead flat just clicks
Going to run a few tests over weekend
I had the samesort of thing once, fully charged batt, press starter just a click from the relay... After changing the solinoid x3, the starter & trying 2 different starter cables...I tried a different battry & it fired up first time...

Battery had dropped a cell...So although showing full charge as soon as a load was put on it...voltage dropped & nothing doing...

Ive been using these batteries for a while now, not had an issue since & the battery tunrs up within a day or so...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nano-Gel-Upg ... 2749.l2649

Stick a new battery on it, that would be my first thing to do...

Easy test if you have a spare battery or if you have a mate who can temp swap a good known battery to try it...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Agree with Mac here, last week I had exactly the same problem with my car 14.5 volts when running 12.6 volts when engine off, turn key and just a faint click.
New battery problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Where are you? I have spare batteries.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
swild123

Post by swild123 »

I’m in Tiptree Essex
I’ve cleaned all the earths and checked for any loose connections. I will see how it goes thanks for help/advice👍🏻
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I'm just down the road in Colchester if you need a hand (and any leftover crimbo biccies chomped on....)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
swild123

Post by swild123 »

Wicky wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:38 pm I'm just down the road in Colchester if you need a hand (and any leftover crimbo biccies chomped on....)
That’s handy to know. Sorry no left over biccies!!!!😂