Crashed my VTR... What about that tank.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
TorbenHarbo

Crashed my VTR... What about that tank.

Post by TorbenHarbo »

Hi guys,
I crashed. For the first time ever. At the tremendous speed of 15km/h. I feel like an idiot.
Is was suddenly icy, I wasn’t focused for 2 seconds, and the bike disappeared underneath me. It was on the way to winter storage!
Bummer.

Anyway, it’s my blue 2001 updated VTR and I can’t find the parts. I put a serious dent in the tank and broke BOTH side fairings, visor, brake pedal brake lever, and left handle. Oh Lord...
The parts I’m having trouble with are tank and side fairings.
I found the tank and fairings in US, but that’s probably the smaller, earlier tank.
Will that fit my 2001 updated VTR?
I know it’s only 16l, but that’s ok. Is it just a direct swap?

I live in Denmark, so my bike is the updated version and should be with the 19L tank - even though I can't seem to squeeze more than 13L in it.

At least I know where my spare time is going to be spent this winter!

All the best - and drive safely.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Crashed my VTR... What about that tank.

Post by sirch345 »

I'm sorry to hear of your slow speed off. How very annoying seeing as you were on the way to winter storage :(

It makes me think you already have the smaller fuel tank if you can only squeeze 13lts in it on fill up, either that or it's got a lot of body filler covering up a load of dent in it :wink:

If you have a look at the underside of your fuel tank, if it's like the one in the photo it's the 16ltr tank. The 19ltr tank doesn't have a diaphragm tap which you can turn off / on the fuel supply with an 8mm spanner.

For the fairing replacement if nothing turns up (fingers crossed on the ones from USA) either getting second hand panels in a different colour then having them resprayed is one option. Another is to buy a Chinese set which will cost less most likely, but can be a bit hit and miss on the quality. Although there may be some on here who could point you in the right direction for that option.

Good luck with it whichever way you go,

Chris.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I have a complete front fairing in a rather nasty Cherry colour. Not sure of your location though.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
TorbenHarbo

Post by TorbenHarbo »

Hi guys
Thanks for replying.
I’ll check my tank then. I’ll stop by the winter storage tomorrow and have a look.
Here’s a picture of the tank I might be buying. There is a diaphragm tap as far as I can see which makes it a 16l tank then.

If mine turns out to be a 19l - will the 16l tank fit my bike anyway? Doesn’t matter what tank size it is to me - I’m used to filling up after 160km anyway 8O :lol:

I live in Denmark by the way.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TorbenHarbo wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:36 pm Hi guys
Thanks for replying.
I’ll check my tank then. I’ll stop by the winter storage tomorrow and have a look.
Here’s a picture of the tank I might be buying. There is a diaphragm tap as far as I can see which makes it a 16l tank then.

If mine turns out to be a 19l - will the 16l tank fit my bike anyway? Doesn’t matter what tank size it is to me - I’m used to filling up after 160km anyway 8O :lol:

I live in Denmark by the way.
Yes that tank in the photo is a 16LTR tank.

I know some forum members on here have fitted the 19LTR tank in place of their 16LTR so they must fit. I haven't done this conversion myself, but IIRC the sender unit (the bit that tells you how much fuel is left in the tank) doesn't work properly with a swap over. I'm sure someone who has done this conversion will be able to confirm this and explain more,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

just to clear up in case its a late regd early bike, have you digi clocks or the old style dials?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
TorbenHarbo

Post by TorbenHarbo »

Hi guys
So I went to the winter storage today just to see if it was all just a bad dream. It wasn’t...

Anyway - the tank seems to be a 19LTR. See pic bellow. I wonder why it’s always “empty” after 13 LTR, but I guess it’s the sender unit as suggested by Chris.
It also has the digi clocks.

I actually found the broken of parts of plastic inside the fairings. I can’t believe my luck in that regard. I guess I’ll just glue the parts back on and give it a paint job.
The tank has some annoying dents. Don’t know if that can be fixed but maybe I should give at a shot at repair shop before I discard it.

Unfortunately I broke the brake pedal today when trying to straighten it out. I’ll have to fit a new one. Any instructions on that? Do I just disassemble starting with the really big bolt behind the black cover? I’ll figure it out.
Thanks for all your help! What a great forum.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TorbenHarbo wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:13 pm Hi guys
So I went to the winter storage today just to see if it was all just a bad dream. It wasn’t...

Anyway - the tank seems to be a 19LTR. See pic bellow. I wonder why it’s always “empty” after 13 LTR, but I guess it’s the sender unit as suggested by Chris.
It also has the digi clocks.

I actually found the broken of parts of plastic inside the fairings. I can’t believe my luck in that regard. I guess I’ll just glue the parts back on and give it a paint job.
The tank has some annoying dents. Don’t know if that can be fixed but maybe I should give at a shot at repair shop before I discard it.

Unfortunately I broke the brake pedal today when trying to straighten it out. I’ll have to fit a new one. Any instructions on that? Do I just disassemble starting with the really big bolt behind the black cover? I’ll figure it out.
Thanks for all your help! What a great forum.

You were very unlucky to create that much damage to your fuel tank at such a low speed off, I'm guessing the tank must have hit the kerb in the off.

I agree, your fuel tank in the photo certainly appears to be the 19ltr version. As you say though, rather strange how you can only squeeze in 13ltrs on fill up. Seeing as it has the digi clocks the sender unit should be giving you a correct reading. Lucky in finding the broken fairing bits inside the fairing. IIRC you can remove the brake pedal from it's pivot point, no need to remove the whole assembly,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Brake pedal is held on with a circlip. Unless you have very small fingers the whole bracket has to come off.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... 3270/pedal

The assembly is on the swingarm bolt... One side will come off buy just undoing the nut...thats easy... the other side to remove it requires the bolt to come out...

Now obviously to do that means the swing arm will drop if you remove it so the bike need to be surported in some way...

So first thing is remove the black plastic covers & see which side the nut is...

If It's on the brake side happy days, whip the nut off & remove the bracket swap the pedal...

If the nut is not on that side... You need to surport the bike to take the weight off the rear of the bike preferalby by hanging the bike off rafters or jack up under the sump. Loosen all nuts before you lift the bike. Take the rear wheel out, less weight hanging off the swingarm...Take the nut off & use the rear wheel spindle to push the swing arm spindle though to hold the swingarm in place...Its the same diameter just a littel shorter but it will hold the swingarm in place...Fully remove the swingarm bolt & the pedal bracket will be free ! Dont forget the small allen bolt at the front of the bracket... no19 & the little spacer no.3

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... e3271/step

Remove the circlip, & washer & the pedal will come off...There is a spring attached as well...Relace the pedal, replace spring, washer & circlip & replace the whole bracket.... push the swingarm spindle back through...nut back on finger tight...Lower the bike back down & torque back up...IIRC its 93nm but check manual to be sure...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
TorbenHarbo

Post by TorbenHarbo »

Once again - thanks for your help and advice!
I went to the winter storage again, just to check.

The nut is on the "wrong" side of the bike.

Obviously this bolt needs to be taken out which is way beyond my capabilities. The bike would most likely fall apart with me lying underneath all the destroyed parts. It's a job for a pro work shop.

When / if the brake pedal, fairings, tank and what ever else I have smashed is repaired, the bike needs new chain and sprocket, complete brake restoration and so forth.

My Honda pusher/ dealer txted me the other day. He offered me a 2006 cbr1000rr at a really fair price. Same guy earlier adviced me to give up and sell the VTR. There's too much to be repaired on it.
So I'm honestly considering to give up on the VTR.
But I just love that V2 engine sound and rumble...

Anyway, thanks for all your help!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

TorbenHarbo wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:19 pm Once again - thanks for your help and advice!
I went to the winter storage again, just to check.

The nut is on the "wrong" side of the bike.

Obviously this bolt needs to be taken out which is way beyond my capabilities. The bike would most likely fall apart with me lying underneath all the destroyed parts. It's a job for a pro work shop.

When / if the brake pedal, fairings, tank and what ever else I have smashed is repaired, the bike needs new chain and sprocket, complete brake restoration and so forth.

My Honda pusher/ dealer txted me the other day. He offered me a 2006 cbr1000rr at a really fair price. Same guy earlier adviced me to give up and sell the VTR. There's too much to be repaired on it.
So I'm honestly considering to give up on the VTR.
But I just love that V2 engine sound and rumble...

Anyway, thanks for all your help!
take your rear axle out and use it to push the swingrm bolt out, its a perfect fit and stops your bike falling in half on you :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
TorbenHarbo

Post by TorbenHarbo »

Hi guys
I gave up 😐
I put it on for sale here in Denmark, and a guy who obviously has more talent then I when it comes repairing crashed VTRs has bought it.
I'm going to miss the V2 rumble, cause I bought a...
CBR1000RR 2006 instead 😬

A complete impulse buy but I'm looking forward to the spring though. It's crazy, I know 😁

Anyway thanks again for all your input and drive safe!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

When you drop that I'll give you 300 gb pounds for it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

TorbenHarbo wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:03 am CBR1000RR 2006 instead

A complete impulse buy but I'm looking forward to the spring though. It's crazy, I know
I think you'll like it. Doesn't have the character of the VTR but it's sowing machine smooth and will scare you senseless at full throttle :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TorbenHarbo wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:03 am Hi guys
I gave up 😐
I put it on for sale here in Denmark, and a guy who obviously has more talent then I when it comes repairing crashed VTRs has bought it.
I'm going to miss the V2 rumble, cause I bought a...
CBR1000RR 2006 instead 😬

A complete impulse buy but I'm looking forward to the spring though. It's crazy, I know 😁

Anyway thanks again for all your input and drive safe!
Good luck with the new bike :thumbup:

Chris.