No fuel, tons of smoke, won't start

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
alanfjones1411

Re: No fuel, tons of smoke, won't start

Post by alanfjones1411 »

They sure are and long milk and pasta.But there's more on the shelves this week than last week.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

I know I'm a fair way down the thread but I'll see how i go...

she starts and runs really well know after all that but when she got to full operating temperature after idling and the occasional rev for 10-15 minutes, started to smoke a bit when I blip the throttle and give it a good rev up. It's a greyish smoke not like the horrible white stuff from before and no where near as much, but I can see it clearly. Won't do it when just warm and I rev it a bit, but when it is at full temperature.

I'm starting to think something may have been affected, valve stem seals maybe?
Maybe swearing will help
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

KatanaKid wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:43 am I'm starting to think something may have been affected, valve stem seals maybe?
Hopefully not. That said, if the valve seals are a bit worn normally they will pass oil when cold on full choke. the extra fuel acts as a lubricant and allows oil to pass more easily. When the choke is off less oil passes and the smoke is less.
On a hot engine, in your case, it sounds a bit more like it's just running rich. Maybe the choke is sticking a little or maybe with all this isolation it just needs a good run and some miles on it.
If it feels fine and its running right I'd just use it and get some miles under it to clear it all out. If it's still bad after a couple of tanks then I'd be looking at it a little more deeply.
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

More likely sticky rings.
Just run a few tankfuls and see how it goes.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

If it's valve stem seals it's more likely to smoke on start up then mostly clear, if they are leaking by they'll leak hot of cold then when shut off some oil will still run down the stems which causes the start up smoke. So I'd say that's not your problem.
As Tony said give it a ride, it may well be fine but monitor the oil level.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Thanks guys. I think I panicked a bit thinking it was the valve stem seals, now I remember reading a while ago your engine will smoke on startup if they are worn. Hop to give it a run soon and see how it goes. What do you mean by sticky rings tony?
Maybe swearing will help
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The piston rings should be free to move in the ring grooves. They don't rotate, there's no rotational force acting on them, but they need to be free to expand and contract in the bore as the bore expends due to heat.
But sticky combustion residues can make them stuck in place.
When that happens more combustion residues build up, and the problem worsens.

Engine cleaning additives reduce this for example Redex.
But be careful, some people have had bad results using these products.
Better to buy good grade fuel which has additives in like shell, which help to prevent build up in the first place.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Finally managed to get out for a good run yesterday. Warmed her up nicely and hopped on to get some fuel, a few minutes down the road she strted billowing smoke again. I pulled over and this poor woman copped a lung full, "Sorry", I gesture but she isn't fazed, after all half the country burned this summer and we lived in the smoke. Got fuel, rode off and smoke started again, pulled over and the left exhaust was wet at the tip. Pressed on and sat at fairly high revs on the parkway and she cleared up after about 5-10 minutes. She was sweet after that, rode well. It's good to be back.
Maybe swearing will help
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That’s a relief for you mate. Hopefully that’s cleared her out.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF