Stumbling at 5000 rpm petcock question

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
grytvikken

Stumbling at 5000 rpm petcock question

Post by grytvikken »

Hi all I have an old 97 model vtr1000 thats been sitting a bit over the last few years
It idles ok but when you ride it , it stumbles badly around 5000 rpm. At first I thought it might be a carb issue but as I have already pulled them out and cleaned them as a precaution against old varnished fuel I feel it may be something else.
At the moment I am looking at the petcock with some suspicion.....I have the tank and fitted a hose to the vacuum and sucked .....hazaar fuel flows out of the petcock.....I stop sucking and the fuel more often than not continues to flow. I pulled the petcock apart and had a look and found nothing too bad it all seems ok. Should the fuel stop immediately from flowing once you stop applying vacuum? I am wondering if at 5000 the bike is getting too much fuel and is struggling because of that
Any ideas as to my theory would be gratefully received. Cheers
tony.mon

Re: Stumbling at 5000 rpm petcock question

Post by tony.mon »

What are the plugs like?
When the vac stops the fuel should cut off, so something wrong with the tap, but the float needles in the carbs should prevent excessive overfilling, so I don't think that's your problem.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:01 am What are the plugs like?
When the vac stops the fuel should cut off, so something wrong with the tap, but the float needles in the carbs should prevent excessive overfilling, so I don't think that's your problem.
I agree with Tony, something not right with the tap, but it shouldn't be overfilling at the carbs.

Are you sure the carbs are re-seated properly on the inlet stubs, and have you checked the hoses for splits or holes causing a vacuum leak :?:

Chris.

PS. Welcome aboard by the way :thumbup:
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

have you had the cct done and accidently timed it out by 180 degrees?
grytvikken

Post by grytvikken »

StuartWags wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:43 am have you had the cct done and accidently timed it out by 180 degrees?

Thanks for responses spark plugs are new I considered that. the cct IS cam chain tensioner? no its not been touched just had the bike sitting for awhile will check the carbs are seated correctly
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

grytvikken wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:19 am
StuartWags wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:43 am have you had the cct done and accidently timed it out by 180 degrees?

Thanks for responses spark plugs are new I considered that. the cct IS cam chain tensioner? no its not been touched just had the bike sitting for awhile will check the carbs are seated correctly
On the odd occasion it has been known for a new spark plug to be faulty,

Chris.
grytvikken

Post by grytvikken »

sirch345 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:15 pm
grytvikken wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:19 am

On the odd occasion it has been known for a new spark plug to be faulty,

Chris.
No mate it was doing it before I put new plugs in.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Are you sure the carb isn't still gummed up from storage?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's an easy check, swap carbs with a nearby owner to check it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
grytvikken

Post by grytvikken »

I guess its always a possibility that they are still gummed up up i was pretty sure i cleaned them well.....I dont have another set of carbs to swap them over ....
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

Hi. Have you sorted this yet? I hope so, and if yes, then it would be good to hear what it was. If not, it does sound like a blocked or gummed up jet to me. I have known on another bike of mine, where removing the brass jet is not actually the jet at all, but merely an elongated cover, which, when removed, allows the jet proper to be removed by applying pressure from above. Caught me out first time because I don't have the manuals! Anyway, just sayin that's what happened to me.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.