E10 fuel

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Furrybiker

E10 fuel

Post by Furrybiker »

The latest idea to save the planet is the introduction of E10 fuel to the UK.
Do our bikes run on it, or is this another nail in the coffin of older vehicles?
Certainly my 1967 Land Rover won't take it.
I know they will keep producing E5 for a while, just as they did with 4 star, will it last though?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51731757
jchesshyre

Re: E10 fuel

Post by jchesshyre »

The manual says

so it should be OK.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Thank you for that, apparently super unleaded contains little or no ethanol so there is that option for mowers and the like, and of course my old Landy.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Furrybiker wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:34 pm Thank you for that, apparently super unleaded contains little or no ethanol so there is that option for mowers and the like, and of course my old Landy.
All the petrol stations round here (Chester) say E5 on both the premium and super unleaded pumps.
popkat

Post by popkat »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:14 pm
Furrybiker wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:34 pm Thank you for that, apparently super unleaded contains little or no ethanol so there is that option for mowers and the like, and of course my old Landy.
All the petrol stations round here (Chester) say E5 on both the premium and super unleaded pumps.
Esso through most of the country have ethanol free super unleaded even though it will still say E5 on the pump.. you can check the area's by looking on Esso website.. the other fuel companies may have ethanol free but they don't tell you.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

popkat wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:37 pm
Esso through most of the country have ethanol free super unleaded even though it will still say E5 on the pump.. you can check the area's by looking on Esso website.. the other fuel companies may have ethanol free but they don't tell you.

That's great to know! I didn't realise this was still the case. The Esso website says, 'Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.'
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

What's your concern, knock rating or the effect that ethanol has on rubber or plastic components?
If sold as 95 or 98 Ron the knock rating will be the same, I would have thought?

The leaded thing was about valve seat deterioration due to the lubricating effect of the lead, not the knock rating being lower.
Unleaded is unleaded, no matter what proportion of ethanol is in it.

98 octane deteriorates in storage at a lower rate than lower octanes, so that's a good idea for winter storage, or add a fuel stabiliser.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 pm
popkat wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:37 pm

That's great to know! I didn't realise this was still the case. The Esso website says, 'Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.'

Good info isn't it, my problem is I live in Devon :roll: have to go well out of the area and fill cans when laying bikes up for a while.

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:38 am What's your concern, knock rating or the effect that ethanol has on rubber or plastic components?
If sold as 95 or 98 Ron the knock rating will be the same, I would have thought?

The leaded thing was about valve seat deterioration due to the lubricating effect of the lead, not the knock rating being lower.

98 octane deteriorates in storage at a lower rate than lower octanes, so that's a good idea for winter storage, or add a fuel stabiliser.

You should have some concerns Tony, maybe your next big mod on the Ape should be a steel or ally tank.. Aprilia insist on still using plastic when they're well aware the effects the ethonol is having on them :wink:

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If not on a run, and therefore going through a tankful quickly, I use super, especially if its going to stand for a while.
Anyway, it's warrantied until Feb next year, so it will be their problem, not mine, as the tank has a sticker saying up to 10 percent ethanol.

I wonder why they add ethanol in those areas?
Might be worth a freedom of information act request.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:38 am What's your concern, knock rating or the effect that ethanol has on rubber or plastic components?

My concern was the effect of the ethanol on the rubber and plastic components.
I do need to get an unleaded head for the Landy, but as it does such a low mileage these days I hadn't bothered. Still good for 70mph flat out, good as it ever was!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

the aprilia i have i always run on 98 super as the tanks already a little swollen at the front.and its a much better starter on 98.

my 23 year old storm just runs fine on whatever i put in it, starts the same ,goes the same and no stupid tank swelling :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: