VTR cam chain tensioners

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
nachtjaeger13

VTR cam chain tensioners

Post by nachtjaeger13 »

I am currently working on designing a replacement automatic cam chain tensioner to replace the Honda original equipment,I have manual tensioners fitted and they are a pain,in terms of time taken,to adjust.I have basically dissected the Honda auto tensioner and can see where drastic improvement can be made,At present,I have completed the design drawings and am looking at machine shops in my area who could produce a prototype,not cheap by any stretch!
Anyway,my intention is to have maybe 4 of them made and then fitting 2 to my VTR and basically crossing my fingers and hoping they work of course,it will take a bit of time to evaluate them as they won't be adjusting the cam chains on a daily basis,at least I hope not!,to this end I have incorporated a visual marking system which will show when an adjustment has taken place.
Anyway I'll let you know how I get on.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: VTR cam chain tensioners

Post by sirch345 »

This sounds interesting, good luck with your plan,

Chris.
jbf955i

Post by jbf955i »

Hi guy's,

My manual CCT have arrived, I'm scared to death. However, the the point of no return is tomorrow.

Stand by your beds, I will no doubt know some advice.

Cheers Jason

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Take your time, follow the instructions, drink plenty of tea, walk away if frustrated and come back a bit later. It's not a race. If in doubt ask here, alot more competent than me will always willingly help

Best of
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I managed it and I am no mechanic,but it took me a lot longer than the instructions say.You will be fine if you do as Richard says,take your time etc.The only comment I have is that you turn it over manually to make sure everything is free BEFORE you hit the start button.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

What I don't understand from the first post is frustration with the need to adjust manuals once fitted. In my experience, about once every 20,000 miles is all it takes.
You must be really, seriously annoyed at having to check your tyre pressures and oil level.
You have to do that every year or two!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jbf955i

Post by jbf955i »

Hi guys,

I've come to a stop on the first step- removing fuel tank ! Is there a detailed method any where on this site, I haven't found one.

Also, probably the silliest question every asked on here. Can I take it that the rear CCT is the more accessible one! Please try and be nice in your responses

Cheers

Jason

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Pezed

Post by Pezed »

Hi. I don't have a manual but I have done this a coupla times, so from memory:
Remove seat.
Locate the pair of wires that emerge from below the rear of the tank and undo the connector.
Remove the two securing bolts at the nose of the tank, don't lose the top hats!
Remove the nut from the rear securing bolt, but leave the bolt in for now.
Lift the front of the tank up as far as it comfortably goes, make a mental note of what length prop you need to hold up the front, obtain such prop and put it in place to hold the tank up. I cut a stick and inserted it from the raised front of tank to fairing support.
Identify the fuel on/off tap and rotate clockwise to the closed position. It's about an 8mm square lug on the aluminium component.
Now have a look, and a feel, of the rubber hoses that are all at the rear. It would pay you to check these from all angles and familiarise yourself with what goes where. They aren't that easy to replace, and it is easy to get one wrong, particularly a narrow one that fits horizontally on to its spigot. Having checked them all out, remove them.
Remove the rear lateral securing bolt and remove the tank from the bike.
That's about the gist of it, there are some pictures on this site somewhere which would aid you if you can find them.
Good luck.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

A general tip.
If you are not familiar with the job in hand, and especially if it may be a while before things get reassembled, it can pay big dividends to take a digital foto of the disassembly procedure. This will then be able to jog your memory when it all goes back together.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

jbf955i wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:43 am Hi guys,

I've come to a stop on the first step- removing fuel tank ! Is there a detailed method any where on this site, I haven't found one.

Also, probably the silliest question every asked on here. Can I take it that the rear CCT is the more accessible one! Please try and be nice in your responses Image

Cheers

Jason

If you havent already then read this at leaste 3 times before picking any spanners up... viewtopic.php?p=264315#p264315

Re tank removal... It's always best to do this with as little fule in the tank as poss but if you have recently filled it up & have no way of draining it never mind just remember it will be heavy when lifting it.

Two 8mm bolts at the front of the tank. There should be a top hat spacer in the rubbers that go in from the bottom.

You need the saddle to be off, then at the rear of the tank is a bolt holding the rear of the tank to a bracket, 10mm head on the bolt & 10mm nut.

So take out the bolts at the front, take the nut off the rear tank bolt but leave the bolt in for now.

In the bunch of conectors at the rear of the tank just behind the frame rail In front of the battery, on the right hand sied of the tank you should be able to see a wire coming from under the tank & going into the wire bundle, trace the wire & find the conector & disconect it... This is your fule level sensor so make sure you reconect it at the end of the job or you wont get the fule light warning on your dash !

Lift the tank from the front & prop the tank up. I use a bit of timber cut to length or you can use bungee cords or simular If you have something to attach to.

Now at this point get your phone out & take some pics of the pipe work...

See here... viewtopic.php?f=31&t=42689

Now I'm assuming you have an early Storm as it will be different on the later ones with the bigger tank... so bear with me...

I'll refer to 16ltr & 19lt as I dont know which you have...

16ltr. just pull off the two breather pipes... You dont really need to turn the tap off but if you do use something to remind you to turn it back on or you'll be posting up that your bike wont start...

Personaly I don't bother with turning the tap off.

Now use some pliers or just your fingers to squeeze the clips on the fule lines & remove each one, some fule will come out but dont worry it wont be much. On the back of the petcock is the vac pipe...It's hugly important that when reconecting this goes to the correct spigot ! Or again you bike will not run...It'll start with the fule in the carbs but once thats gone it'll stop & you wont restart it...
Z Petcock pipe fekup reminder....jpg
Now once all the pipes are out of the way & the sensor wire disconected, lower the tank back down, remove the tank bolt from the rear ( if it's tight push it through with a long allen key or somesuch & when you put it back in grease the feker up !) ...

Now lift the tank clear of the bike & place it caerfully on the ground somewhere away from where you are working On a towel or the grass just away from anywhere you will be walking or possibly dropping or throwing tools !

19ltr Basically as above but the fule petcock is a remote item & is mounted on the frame so you only have to pull the two breather pipes & the sensor wire... There is only one fule pipe from the tank to the petcock & this needs to be clamped before you remove it from the petcock...

Have fun.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

After writing that all out I remmebered I'd already done it...

:lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=466814#p466814
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

jbf955i wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:43 am Hi guys,

Also, probably the silliest question every asked on here. Can I take it that the rear CCT is the more accessible one! Please try and be nice in your responses Image

Cheers

Jason

Yes the rear is the easier of the two. With the front a bit more dimantling is required to get at it...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

This is where the tank removal post is...

viewforum.php?f=31

Sub section in the Workshop section...

:thumbup:
jbf955i

Post by jbf955i »

Thanks guys, massive help.

Yes break then the CCT ImageImage

jbf955i

Post by jbf955i »

Gents, I have read Darks guidelines a number of times and I'm not getting it. It's not the instructions that are at fault, it's my very limited mechanically train of thought.

I'm at the stage of removal of the carb's and I have no clue. Would anyone be open to a quick phone call? It would be my call of course. It would be far easier for me, if I could talk over one or two points.

Sorry to bother you all