Water! Everywhere!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rhughes945

Water! Everywhere!

Post by Rhughes945 »

Afternoon everyone!

So recently my VTR started running REALLY rough, and eventually refused to drive at all.
I tried a few things from here, new plugs, checking airways etc but couldn't figure it out and get a garage to take a look.
They got back to me today and said that there was at least 4 litres of water in my tank! 4!
All drainage was unblocked so they think that I got very unlucky at a fuel pump and managed to fill her up with mostly water on my last refill.

Anyone know of any other causes to this much water to collect? Or was I really just that unlucky?
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Water! Everywhere!

Post by Pete.L »

Faulty petrol cap?
Could
You have drowned it the last time you washed it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Bloody hell mate. That’s a scary prospect if it’s come from a pump!!!! :eek2
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Worth googling locally if you know which garage you filled up at.
If the pump is supplying water it won't only be you that got caught.

Hang on, you didn't fill up at the free one by the airline, did you?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

jseus thats a lot of water :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Rhughes945

Post by Rhughes945 »

Haha the free one! Very good ;)

My last fill was at a local tesco, unfortunately due to Covid they're not responding to emails, so I have to wait until they're working again to submit my complaint.

Garage reckons the only way that much water could get in is by being poured directly, I'm going to service the cap anyway just for peace of mind.

Got her back today and she's smoother than she ever was, absolutely love this bike.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rhughes945 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:03 pm Haha the free one! Very good ;)

My last fill was at a local tesco, unfortunately due to Covid they're not responding to emails, so I have to wait until they're working again to submit my complaint.

Garage reckons the only way that much water could get in is by being poured directly, I'm going to service the cap anyway just for peace of mind.

Got her back today and she's smoother than she ever was, absolutely love this bike.
Going back many years ago a neighbour of mine found water in is car petrol tank after filling up. I helped him (well more or less did the job for him lol) siphon the petrol out. Back then there was no restriction for putting a hose down into the tank from the filler cap entrance. Over half of what we siphoned out was water, IIRC we siphoned out seven gallons and four of them were water. That was from the same name filling station as yourself coincidentally.

Good luck in getting compensation.

Also glad your bike is going well now,

Chris.