Clutch slipping diagnosis problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freeridenick

Clutch slipping diagnosis problem

Post by freeridenick »

Clutch was slipping last time out so I pulled it apart and the friction plates were all 3.8mm or more, the inner most steel had a slight groove where the judder spring sits and the springs were OK for length. I replaced the steel but I can't see that as the problem. Replaced the springs with heavy duty EBC ones because I had them but I don't think I've solved the problem.

Some info to help:
It slipped at Donington but noticeable on right hand corners, especially coming out of Coppice, seemed OK on lefts.
The slipping got worse through the day. I didn't notice it getting worse through each session
Oil had been changed but it's the same as I've used before - Castrol Power 1 MA2
Clutch slave isn't leaking
The outer basket wobbles, even with the clutch in and the springs done up. I can't say I noticed this when I put the engine together but would it make a difference? The clutch works on the inner and pressure plate.

What else should I look at?
tony.mon

Re: Clutch slipping diagnosis problem

Post by tony.mon »

Degrease the clutch pushrod and bleed the clutch.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Are you sure it wasn't spinning up the rear tyre ? coppice sort of drops away once you in it, you also move across the track a fair bit, it's not uncommon for the rear to spin there.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

popkat wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:10 pm Are you sure it wasn't spinning up the rear tyre ? coppice sort of drops away once you in it, you also move across the track a fair bit, it's not uncommon for the rear to spin there.
I'm not that much of a hero lol. I didn't feel the rear step out and I'd expect that if it was spinning. Could have been that though. The right side of the tyre is pretty worn and it's done two race meetings at Three Sisters and two days at Caldwell. It was a scrub too.

The outer basket 'wobble' is a worry. It's like it's loose on on the input shaft. Bearing worn?
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:26 pm Degrease the clutch pushrod and bleed the clutch.
The clutch fluid was replaced recently. Pretty sure it was bled ok but I'll check. Why would that make it slip though? Wouldn't it grab instead?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Because it's cheaper to start there than a clutch MC and slave rebuild.
If you have any contaminants in the fluid it can jam the action of either of these, or block/partially block the small transfer hole in the MC.
If there's any bits you'll see them in the fluid as it's pumped out.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i had a wobbly basket on the blue yoke when i stripped it at one stage, and it was always hard to find neutral at standstill? it had also started to slip in high gears. i replaced the clutch with a EBC heavy duty kit but also the large inner needle roller bearing, the slipping stopped and the wobble was more or less got rid of aswell..

i cant say if the plates or the bearing solved it but i never had the problem again. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Where are you?
I have a selection of previously owned clutches.
Probably half a dozen at least!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:39 pm Where are you?
I have a selection of previously owned clutches.
Probably half a dozen at least!
Manchester, more or less. I've a small selection myself lol. I know I have a spare I outer guide but I'm not sure about the bearing. I'll be in touch if not - the plan was always to strip the engine this winter so there's no point replacing with a new one when I can get by until a full rebuild.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, of its any help I might be heading up to Dream Machine in my van next week with the fairings and tanks from a couple of bikes.
They're in Northampton, so you could meet me somewhere.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:00 pm Well, of its any help I might be heading up to Dream Machine in my van next week with the fairings and tanks from a couple of bikes.
They're in Northampton, so you could meet me somewhere.
Just sent a pm but it looks stuck. Next week won't work for me but when you pick them it might. It's a fair track for me and not as close to a relative as I thought. Let me know though and I'll see what I can do.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I replaced the outer basket and collar with spares and the wobble is less pronounced. With the HD springs hopefully it'll make it through the rest if the year before I pull it out and strip it properly.