Firestorm Cooling problem.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
EXUPDel

Firestorm Cooling problem.

Post by EXUPDel »

Hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge on here.

I have just rebuilt a 'storm and put it back on the road. I bought it as a non runner that had been stood for 3 years. Everything is fine apart from an issue I am having with the cooling. the bike is an 2002 model with the larger 19l tank.
I am finding that when running and hot it is pushing so much coolant into the expansion tank to the point where when the temp gets over 90deg its being pushed out of the overflow of the expansion tank.

When I stop the bike the contents of the expansion tank will get sucked back into the cooling circuit as it cools down..

I have flushed the rads. checked all the hose clips. I have filled it according to the manual. I have also filled it from empty with the engine running to try and ensure there is no trapped air in the cooling circuit

If I check the level once its cool it needs about half a litre to brim the right hand side rad. and once topped up it runs fine and cooler at about 80deg until it starts pushing coolant into the expansion tank where it then runs at about 95 deg going as hight as 105 when in town.

When I re commissioned it I fitted a new pattern head gasket on the front cyclinder. I had to take the head off to drill out a broken exhaust stud.

I have tried a new radiator cap.

This is my first 'Storm I don't know if my 'storm is running as it should and I am worrying about nothing. or if there is actually a problem. To my mind the cooling circuit shouldn't need topping up and the amount of coolant being pushed into the expansion tank points to trapped air. I have tried everything I can think off beyond stripping the head and using an OEM head gasket.

Any ideas or something I have missed?
tony.mon

Re: Firestorm Cooling problem.

Post by tony.mon »

The top pipe between the roads always airlocks.
With the bike up to temp, on its sidestand and the rh rad filler cap off, put your bike gloves on and squeeze the top pipe that runs transversely between the rads and you will see bubbles in the filler neck.
Keep doing this until you can't see any bubbles.
Next, with the top-up coolant to hand, open the throttle to about a steady 2 1/2 to 3 thousand revs, you will see the coolant level drop.
Add coolant until it is at the top of the neck, then put the rad cap on, then close the throttle.

If this doesn't fix it, check that the fan is coming on, and try a different rad cap. Someone near you will have a spare or lend you theirs.
There are two different rad caps, both will fit but one releases at a higher pressure.

From memory, the older one is 1.1 bar and the later is 1.3 bar, but check in the manual.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
EXUPDel

Post by EXUPDel »

Thanks @tony.

Followed your instructions. Not a pleasant job. Deffinately more bubbles when the thermostat opened. When I revved coolant fountaining out of the rad cap opening.

bike ended up covered in coolant so had to rinse it down straight away. Thankfully the fairings are easy to take on and off.

Filled it and put the rad cap on at revs. and have topped up the expansion tank to stop it sucking air back in.

My new rad cap is a 1.2. it is a triumph one but that was all I could get locally last Saturday.

Fingers crossed it will be problem solved. Just gonna pop out for a spin to see.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, if you rev it rather than raise the revs it will go everywhere, a bit of finesse is required!
hope it's sorted.
EXUPDel

Post by EXUPDel »

OK it has been a while since I asked my original question and things have moved on a bit since.

After filling the cooling system as advised I was still having the same problem. I decided that there was an issue with one of the head gaskets letting combustion gases into the cooling jacket. This came to a head (excuse the pun) when the bike over heated to 125deg. The fan wouldn't kick in because the coolant had been pushed out to such an extent the coolant level had got so low it wasn't covering the fan switch and so the fan wouldn't kick in. on top of this plumes of steam were coming out of the exhaust at intermittent points during the ride.

Problem was which cylinder was the failed one. I had changed the head gasket on the front one for a pattern gasket when I drilled out the exhaust stud, and I hadn't touched the rear one from when I had bought the bike. I hadn't seen the bike running before I bought it so it could have been either. I decided to replace both with OEM gaskets from Dave silvers.

When I pulled the heads the pattern gasket on the front cylinder had a bulge in it where the water jacket is. I suspect that was allowing gases between the 2 layers and into the cooling system. When I drained the coolant as I dismantled the bike it smelt of exhaust.

I stripped both the heads and used a big stone on all 4 mating faces. They cleaned up nice and looked flat. Even still there were a couple of circular witness marks that I could feel with a finger nail. My paranoia stopped me from rebuilding straight away. So I decided to get the heads skimmed locally for £40.

Once I got them back I lapped each of the valves as I rebuilt them into the heads. All the shims needed changing. Once the heads were rebuilt I fitted the new OEM gaskets and torqued down the heads. checked, double checked and Triple checked the cam timing and then ran the bike off the starter without plugs to make sure everything was aligned, cam chains were on their sprockets and tensioned and that the oil was getting to the head.

I put the rads back on the bike and re-assembled the carbs and air box. Finally it was time to put some fuel through it. Bike started and ran ok. Didn't let it get too hot. As it was running I filled the coolant into the rads. Using the pump to prime the system and hopefully make sure their were no air locks. Once that was done I let the bike cool down and topped up the radiator and the overflow bottle. Ran the bike up again to temp. No leaks bikes running fine and fan kicked in and out as it should all seemed to be going well.

Weather was rubbish so wasn't in a rush to take it out. Left it overnight and had a niggling feeling that even though I had torqued up the cylinder head bolts I hadn't done the 4 screws that are located in the cam chain tunnels.

Good job I checked because they were not even nipped up. The front cylinder was a real ball ache to get at with the rads and oil cooler in place.

First ride was scary. This is my first V twin so I find it hard to differentiate between vibes that are its 'character' and something thats seriously wrong. Anyway did 30 local miles and bike seemed to be running cooler. Couple of slow rides through towns temp got up but never enough to get the fan to kick in. Checked the header tank and that was full but not boiling and nothing was coming out of the overflow. got home and left it ticking over on the drive. fan kicked at 103 and dumped a load of heat then cut out again. the header tank wasn't boiling so I dared to think I might have solved my problem.

Saturday just gone decided that I trusted it the bike and more importantly my repairs to do a longer ride. Ended up doing 300 miles. No problems. Bike ran and cooled just as I would expect it too. Its a bit lurchy at low speed and small throttle opening so I suspect it might need a bit of dyno time to get it set up. But other than that All seems good.

Biggest engine job I have ever done. Well pleased that its solved my problem. Can now get on with enjoying the bike and my first big V twin experience. Wanted a 'Storm since I first saw one powering off a roundabout in March 97.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Well done good job.
Have balanced the carbs and set the tps?
This can help but it's never going to be as smooth as an il4 in town.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Well done that man :thumbup: , as long as the coolant problem is sorted the rest should just be a carb balance/tps and your good to go :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
EXUPDel

Post by EXUPDel »

Have balanced the carbs. Was gonna do the TPS Mod once I am happy there are no other issues that need sorting. As part of my getting back on the road I made up some looms and fitted stick coils which seem to be working ok.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Result!
Well done that man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good to hear of a problem-solving exercise that went as planned and fixed the problem, well done.
How much did you skim off the heads?
That gets you a small performance bonus, but reduces the piston to valve clearance. No problem in these engines, though, there's loads of clearance to play with.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

EXUPDel wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:13 am OK it has been a while since I asked my original question and things have moved on a bit since.

After filling the cooling system as advised I was still having the same problem. I decided that there was an issue with one of the head gaskets letting combustion gases into the cooling jacket. This came to a head (excuse the pun) when the bike over heated to 125deg. The fan wouldn't kick in because the coolant had been pushed out to such an extent the coolant level had got so low it wasn't covering the fan switch and so the fan wouldn't kick in. on top of this plumes of steam were coming out of the exhaust at intermittent points during the ride.

Problem was which cylinder was the failed one. I had changed the head gasket on the front one for a pattern gasket when I drilled out the exhaust stud, and I hadn't touched the rear one from when I had bought the bike. I hadn't seen the bike running before I bought it so it could have been either. I decided to replace both with OEM gaskets from Dave silvers.

When I pulled the heads the pattern gasket on the front cylinder had a bulge in it where the water jacket is. I suspect that was allowing gases between the 2 layers and into the cooling system. When I drained the coolant as I dismantled the bike it smelt of exhaust.

I stripped both the heads and used a big stone on all 4 mating faces. They cleaned up nice and looked flat. Even still there were a couple of circular witness marks that I could feel with a finger nail. My paranoia stopped me from rebuilding straight away. So I decided to get the heads skimmed locally for £40.

Once I got them back I lapped each of the valves as I rebuilt them into the heads. All the shims needed changing. Once the heads were rebuilt I fitted the new OEM gaskets and torqued down the heads. checked, double checked and Triple checked the cam timing and then ran the bike off the starter without plugs to make sure everything was aligned, cam chains were on their sprockets and tensioned and that the oil was getting to the head.

I put the rads back on the bike and re-assembled the carbs and air box. Finally it was time to put some fuel through it. Bike started and ran ok. Didn't let it get too hot. As it was running I filled the coolant into the rads. Using the pump to prime the system and hopefully make sure their were no air locks. Once that was done I let the bike cool down and topped up the radiator and the overflow bottle. Ran the bike up again to temp. No leaks bikes running fine and fan kicked in and out as it should all seemed to be going well.

Weather was rubbish so wasn't in a rush to take it out. Left it overnight and had a niggling feeling that even though I had torqued up the cylinder head bolts I hadn't done the 4 screws that are located in the cam chain tunnels.

Good job I checked because they were not even nipped up. The front cylinder was a real ball ache to get at with the rads and oil cooler in place.

First ride was scary. This is my first V twin so I find it hard to differentiate between vibes that are its 'character' and something thats seriously wrong. Anyway did 30 local miles and bike seemed to be running cooler. Couple of slow rides through towns temp got up but never enough to get the fan to kick in. Checked the header tank and that was full but not boiling and nothing was coming out of the overflow. got home and left it ticking over on the drive. fan kicked at 103 and dumped a load of heat then cut out again. the header tank wasn't boiling so I dared to think I might have solved my problem.

Saturday just gone decided that I trusted it the bike and more importantly my repairs to do a longer ride. Ended up doing 300 miles. No problems. Bike ran and cooled just as I would expect it too. Its a bit lurchy at low speed and small throttle opening so I suspect it might need a bit of dyno time to get it set up. But other than that All seems good.

Biggest engine job I have ever done. Well pleased that its solved my problem. Can now get on with enjoying the bike and my first big V twin experience. Wanted a 'Storm since I first saw one powering off a roundabout in March 97.
Well done in getting the bike fixed :clap:

Great to have the full detailed report :thumbup:

I don't think you are the first to have had a problem with a aftermarket head gasket, although I'm not saying all aftermarket head gaskets give problems.

Chris.
EXUPDel

Post by EXUPDel »

Thanks Chaps. TBH I can't say I knew what I was doing as I have never done anything like this before, Just took my time and hoped it would solve the problem I had. If it hadn't I think I would have been dealing with a cracked cylinder liner or something of that ilk. Just glad it worked out.

Not sure how much was skimmed I would guess only 3 or 4 "thou.

Don't think I will use pattern parts for critical components again. In doing this re-build I have had to deal with pattern float valves that didn't seal, that was about 4 litres of fuel into the sump. Pattern pet-rock seals that remained open when the engine wasn't running. And now the head gasket.

All these part's have been replaced by OEM Honda parts and that sorted the problems.

The good thing is that I know my bike a whole lot better