rear brake removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wombat

rear brake removal

Post by Wombat »

Can someone tell me how to remove my rear brake pedal ? Is there a knack to gettting the 22mm bolt out to remove the brake pedal ?
Wicky

Re: rear brake removal

Post by Wicky »

You'll need to suspend the bike as the swingarm spindle hanger runs through it - or push in the rear wheel spindle as you pull it out, to stop swing arm dropping out.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

To remove the pedal you have to take the whole hanger off... There is a circlip holding the pivot pin on.

As Mr Wicky says it's mounted on the swingarm spindle...

Pop the black plastic cover off...If you see a 27mm nut, then happy days, just take the little allen head bolt No.19 ( think it's a 5mm head...) out at the front, there is a spacer, No.3, in there so watch out for that to drop on the floor & roll somewhere you just cant see it... :lol: :lol:

If the nut is on the otheside then the spindle will have to come out to remove it...

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... 3270/pedal

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... e3271/step
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Wicky wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 am You'll need to suspend the bike as the swingarm spindle hanger runs through it - or push in the rear wheel spindle as you pull it out, to stop swing arm dropping out.
So if I supsend the rear wheel with a bike stand, the 22mm nut should come out then without dropping my swingarm on to the floor ?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wombat wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:00 am
Wicky wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 am You'll need to suspend the bike as the swingarm spindle hanger runs through it - or push in the rear wheel spindle as you pull it out, to stop swing arm dropping out.
So if I supsend the rear wheel with a bike stand, the 22mm nut should come out then without dropping my swingarm on to the floor ?
No! You need to hang the bike from above...

If its on a padock stand & you take the spindel out it will drop...The only thing holding the weight of the whole bike will be the suspension linkage... It may hold it but you will struggle to get the spindle back in...

If your workshop/garage/leanto has rafters use some ratchet straps to hold it up...

This is my method. Put the the bike on a padock stand. Seat off, thread the straps over the rafters & through the loops on the sub frame... Ratchet them up until just tight but not lifting the bike off the stand... Remove the rear wheel, take note of the spacers & which side they go on, less weight on the swingarm. Crack off/loosen the swingarm nut Do not full remove it yet.

Now the moment of truth...ready...take the padock stand away !

The bike may swing around a bit but thats normal Undo the nut on the swingarm spindle. Dont take it right off, preferably with a rubber mallet, tap the nut to get it moving, fully remove nut, then use the rear weel spindle to push the spindle through...

It's slightly shorter than the swingarm spindle so you cant leave it in place. Once the swingarm spindle is fully out, take the small allen bolt out at the front of the hanger. & the whole hanger will be free apart from the brake master cylinder. There is a spring from the plunger of the M/C to the lever & a fatter spring which hooks from the hanger to the pedal. Use long nose pliers to pull the M/C spring down & out of its location point, might be easier to do it up & out of the M/C plunger but it has a long tang, so have a look & decide which is best... Remove the circlip & the pedal will pull off its prong, there should be a washer on there. Unhook the fat spring.

Top tip take pics on your mobile before you disassemble so you can look at them to check it's going back together correctly...

Reasembal in reverse of above... You may find it easier to put the fat spring on its hooks then push the replacment pedal over its prong if not you'll need a spring puller to attach it... whasher, circlip, line it up push the spindle back through, clean & regrease before insertion, replace front allen bolt with it's spacer. tighten up the singarm spindle nut...but not fully tight just yet.

Put the rear wheel back in having cleaned & regreased the spindle, spacer with the lip on it goes on the sprocket side, use some grease to hold the spacers in place, put the chain back over the sprocket, slide the spindle in left to right. washer & nut on again finger tight for now...

Now get your padock stand back under the swingarm, push down & you get that slack back into the straps... Once back onto the padock stand time to go round & fully tighten the the bolts...Allen at front of hanger, swingarm spindle 93nm torque rear wheel spindle 93nm torque... Adjust chain. Remove the straps. Side stand down. Remove padock stand, clean tools, clean hands & either take it for a ride or crack a stubbie open... :thumbup:

If you don't have rafters avaiable you can use a large step ladder as an A frame, use a good thick bit of timber as a cross member to put the straps through...
Dangle.JPG
Mine hanging from rafters for a compleat swingarm removal...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:24 am
Wombat wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:00 am
No! You need to hang the bike from above...

If its on a padock stand & you take the spindel out it will drop...The only thing holding the weight of the whole bike will be the suspension linkage... It may hold it but you will struggle to get the spindle back in...

If your workshop/garage/leanto has rafters use some ratchet straps to hold it up...

This is my method. Put the the bike on a padock stand. Seat off, thread the straps over the rafters & through the loops on the sub frame... Ratchet them up until just tight but not lifting the bike off the stand... Remove the rear wheel, take note of the spacers & which side they go on, less weight on the swingarm. Crack off/loosen the swingarm nut Do not full remove it yet.

Now the moment of truth...ready...take the padock stand away !

The bike may swing around a bit but thats normal Undo the nut on the swingarm spindle. Dont take it right off, preferably with a rubber mallet, tap the nut to get it moving, fully remove nut, then use the rear weel spindle to push the spindle through...

It's slightly shorter than the swingarm spindle so you cant leave it in place. Once the swingarm spindle is fully out, take the small allen bolt out at the front of the hanger. & the whole hanger will be free apart from the brake master cylinder. There is a spring from the plunger of the M/C to the lever & a fatter spring which hooks from the hanger to the pedal. Use long nose pliers to pull the M/C spring down & out of its location point, might be easier to do it up & out of the M/C plunger but it has a long tang, so have a look & decide which is best... Remove the circlip & the pedal will pull off its prong, there should be a washer on there. Unhook the fat spring.

Top tip take pics on your mobile before you disassemble so you can look at them to check it's going back together correctly...

Reasembal in reverse of above... You may find it easier to put the fat spring on its hooks then push the replacment pedal over its prong if not you'll need a spring puller to attach it... whasher, circlip, line it up push the spindle back through, clean & regrease before insertion, replace front allen bolt with it's spacer. tighten up the singarm spindle nut...but not fully tight just yet.

Put the rear wheel back in having cleaned & regreased the spindle, spacer with the lip on it goes on the sprocket side, use some grease to hold the spacers in place, put the chain back over the sprocket, slide the spindle in left to right. washer & nut on again finger tight for now...

Now get your padock stand back under the swingarm, push down & you get that slack back into the straps... Once back onto the padock stand time to go round & fully tighten the the bolts...Allen at front of hanger, swingarm spindle 93nm torque rear wheel spindle 93nm torque... Adjust chain. Remove the straps. Side stand down. Remove padock stand, clean tools, clean hands & either take it for a ride or crack a stubbie open... :thumbup:

If you don't have rafters avaiable you can use a large step ladder as an A frame, use a good thick bit of timber as a cross member to put the straps through...

Dangle.JPG

Mine hanging from rafters for a compleat swingarm removal...
God I LOVE this Forum....Thank you sooooo Much man...I really appreciate your help and advice.