Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:34 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:56 am thats some amount of work :thumbup: :thumbup:

i cant help but think would a storm engine go into one of those frames???? :eek2
anything is possible with an angle grinder :mrgreen:

Time to start up soon… I am always aware that a rebuilt engine needs oil at first start-up, and while I always fill the filter before I screw it on, the oil cooler and pipes are empty, as are the oil ways, and the oil pump. I have therefore always used this method of giving the engine the best start in life I can and inject some oil into the system via the oil pressure switch port.

I used to do it on many of the race engines I have built in the past and it was always satisfying to take the oil filler cap off and see oil seeping out the rocker shafts or cam bearings. Either way I always turn it over until the oil warning light goes out… which unless you prime the oilways can be a worrying amount of time!

That sounds like another good tip to me :thumbup:

Good luck with the first start-up,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

well it started first time! I screwed in my oil pressure gauge and it went up straight away… sounded nice! I like to start builds on a dummy tank if I can…. I made that tank over 40 years ago, its started a few engines! its still got an original laverda tap on it!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Glad to hear all went well, although I would have been surprised if it hadn't with your attention to detail. Always a good feeling to get that first start-up over.
Well done :clap: :clap:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:56 am i cant help but think would a storm engine go into one of those frames???? :eek2
Easier to make a frame around a Storm engine.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

been out of action for almost 2 weeks... strained my left hand, taking off a lid off a jar of all things, so thought it better to rest it... getting there now... sigh of getting older I guess...

Started preparing the tanks and bodywork for painting… I know the tank hinge on the monster is a weak point, and it did show evidence of being strained… I didn't want to paint the tank and find out it soon failed, so I decided to take the bracket off and strengthen the area and TIG weld the bracket back on… I normally have tanks blasted but the guy who does it for me is off with Covid at the moment, so it may be a while before he is back, and I don’t trust anyone else after having some shocking jobs done in the past….

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

things didn’t go well with the painting… the seat cowl had rattle can paint on it by the look of it... and it reacted badly to the base coat. going to have to do it all again. the other parts came out well though… two coats of clear on the mudguard and fairing, one coat on the tank before I put the decals on and then hit it with one and a half coats…

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:02 pm been out of action for almost 2 weeks... strained my left hand, taking off a lid off a jar of all things, so thought it better to rest it... getting there now... sigh of getting older I guess...
It's ridiculous how tight some of those jar lids can be, I'm talking from experience as my wife gave me one to undo only last week.

You must have been like a fish out of water with two weeks not being able to work on your bike(s).

Glad you're improving :thumbup:

Chris.

PS. As annoying as it is, I'm sure you'll sort out the paint reaction on the seat cowl. The tank is looking great :clap:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Painting is all finished and I am happy with the results... I love the way 2k just comes out with a gloss from the gun... :biggrin here is a 25 second video...

just ordered a new battery...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:23 am Painting is all finished and I am happy with the results... I love the way 2k just comes out with a gloss from the gun... :biggrin here is a 25 second video...

just ordered a new battery...
Awesome job 8)

What a finish :clap:

Thanks for sharing the video,

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Looks cracking, well done
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

One of the few fabrication jobs I have done on this bike… I have decided to fit an ignitech ignition… Most people seem to fit them next to a smaller battery, or move the coils over, but I wanted to keep the unit away from the heat of the engine… So I made a bracket to fit it under the LH side panel. it just fits nicely…

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:48 pm One of the few fabrication jobs I have done on this bike… I have decided to fit an ignitech ignition… Most people seem to fit them next to a smaller battery, or move the coils over, but I wanted to keep the unit away from the heat of the engine… So I made a bracket to fit it under the LH side panel. it just fits nicely…

Another good Mod :thumbup:
It should catch the wind there :)

It's surprising how useful a nice big vice and some formers as such can be for doing jobs like this.

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

well apart from a few snagging jobs, and replacing the rear brake hose which is too long… its finished. I need to tweak the ignitech unit and enable one of the output channels to limit the revs to 2500 when the stand is down… When I was 19 a good mate rode away from the pub with the stand down… just up the road he came off, and the accident resulted in him losing an arm… those things stay with you…

Need to find another project now! if anyone in the UK has anything... let me know!

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Excellent work Buzzer. She looks amazing :D
buzzer wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:18 pm Need to find another project now! if anyone in the UK has anything... let me know!
You must be mad. Your going to be inundated asking that on line :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good luck with the next one. I can't wait to see what you choose :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Beautiful result mate. What would your next one be given the choice?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF