Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by sirch345 »

Do you not sleep :lol:

Lovely work, well done 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:31 pm Do you not sleep :lol:

Lovely work, well done 8)

Chris.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

been painting the tank and seat today... one of the tips I picked up many years ago is that when spraying small items, use a torch in your other hand and shine it from below... you can see where you are wetting out the paint... I love the way 2K lacquer glosses from the gun these days!

link to video here...

https://youtu.be/umG5TAFmm7A
No 1.jpg
No 2.jpg
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That looks a lovely finish, you must be more than happy with that :clap:

Thanks for the video link :thumbup:

Chris.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Amazing, and I just love that colour.
Like I said, before, I would be happy to spend my holiday in your workshop. I am sure my Mrs. would let me 🤣
MaroonMachine

Post by MaroonMachine »

Looking great.Well done mate. :mrgreen:
Not So lean,Not so mean,Ex-Maroon Machine
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Richard wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:13 am Amazing, and I just love that colour.
Like I said, before, I would be happy to spend my holiday in your workshop. I am sure my Mrs. would let me 🤣
:mrgreen: it was lovely and warm in there when I did the paintwork... I wacked the house heating on so the radiators in there came on... unfortunatelyy she came home and the house was hot as hell :lol: :lol:

MaroonMachine wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:12 am Looking great.Well done mate. :mrgreen:
Thanks!

started work on the seat base. I have cut it to shape and added the Rivinuts to hold it on. I have used aluminum ones as these are much easier to pull in with a nut and bolt if you don’t have the special tool to draw them in…

Also a picture of how its looking... I know this build will finish well before Spring next years so I have bought another project to see me through the dark months of winter... watch this space!

No 7.jpg
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Still in the middle of a build of a multistrada special when a bike i have always wanted came up at a bargain price… an early Ducati Monster. With the prospect of limited going out and no holidays due to Corvid, and the fact the current build will be finished before winter, I decided to buy it! here it is… It's a bit tatty, but it runs well and sounds sweet. Ripe for restoration its going to the back of the garage for a while… this will be a straight restoration though, probably red as I like red monsters!
No 3.jpg
No 4.jpg
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

That looks fun. If it's a straight resto, it's only going to keep you busy for 5 minutes!!! 😃
And orange, surely, you can't change a winning formula, can you?
After all it would be a rare beast in orange.
Not that I have any preference or bias towards orange, well just a bit 👍🤣🤣
I am sure that whatever colour you choose it will be mechanically perfect and looking glorious.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Richard wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:17 pm That looks fun. If it's a straight resto, it's only going to keep you busy for 5 minutes!!! 😃
And orange, surely, you can't change a winning formula, can you?
After all it would be a rare beast in orange.
Not that I have any preference or bias towards orange, well just a bit 👍🤣🤣
I am sure that whatever colour you choose it will be mechanically perfect and looking glorious.
yes, a straight restoration for this one as they are going up in value... Lets see about the colour when I get to paint it :lol:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

On the last couple of builds where I have converted from EFI to carbs I have used an Ignitech ignition unit that utilised the original induction sensor. While the bikes ran OK, I had to make adjustments in the software to compensate for the fact that the values in the software differed from what was actually happening on the bike, plus the tick over was not as steady as I would have liked… This irritated me, and Ignitech themselves refused to answer emails for advice… so I investigated a hall effect setup.

I read about it on the fastbikegear website (Liam has been VERY helpful) and decided to give it a go… The sensors are tiny, and sense two small magnets in the cam wheel through a couple of 3mm holes in the alloy plate. South Pole switches it on, north off, so it’s important to get them the right way round, hence the magnet and phone! Here is how I made it, took a while! The values in the software now match the actual advance when checked with a strobe, and the tick over is rock solid! I have shown it here on the 996 engine as that bike is on the road…

No 5.jpg
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

??????????? 8O
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:21 pm ??????????? 8O
Yeah, that's some level of expertise being explained. In layman's terms it's a 'high tech ignition system' (I think :) ). Credit is not to the system itself, but the ability to conceive and manufacture it. Friggin' brilliant!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Love what you have done with the ignition set-up :clap:

And another Ducati :)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Nice work!
Does the original sensor also have two sensors?
I thought it was only one, sending the point of field collapse to trigger an ignition- on the Firestorm engine, anyway.

Does your setup still run wasted spark?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 am Nice work!
Does the original sensor also have two sensors?
I thought it was only one, sending the point of field collapse to trigger an ignition- on the Firestorm engine, anyway.

Does your setup still run wasted spark?

the original on the Ducati is a single induction sensor, which gives a sinusoida wave form. thats OK for most instances but it does have disadvantages... firstly you need a fairly large diameter wheel (like a flywheel) to sense off. then you need to calculate at what point on the slope on the wave form the sensor picks up the signal... again that's OK as you can enter a compensation factor in the ignition software, however the point on the curve that it triggers is not linear in that it moves along the curve as revs increase.

the hall effect sensors have some distinct advantages. firstly they work off a square wave form, so it's essentially on or off with a precise cut off point that does not change with RPM. they can also be used on small diameter wheels, Like a cam wheel in this instance as they are not reliant on a chunk of steel passing in close proximity like the induction ones. They are also physically small. Most cars and bikes use Hall sensors these days for things like crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. they are also cheap... these we £1 each!

using the hall sensor also allowed me to get rid of the wasted spark as I can configure the software to spark every second revolution :D