Powdercoating wheels

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wilky811

Powdercoating wheels

Post by Wilky811 »

Can anyone recommend someone in the NE England who can powdercoat my wheels? I've spoken to a couple but neither powdercoat the wheel centres and spokes and polish the rims. Cheers
nigelrb

Re: Powdercoating wheels

Post by nigelrb »

I'm no authority, but it's two conflicting processes that one company might not do.

I desperately wanted polished rims myself and ended up buying some from a forum member and then selling my standards. You might find this is a more economical means. :D
Attachments
200605 1 Wheels.jpg
Wilky811

Post by Wilky811 »

Cheers. That’s one way to do it I guess. I’ll have to give this more thought.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Personally. After having polished rims I would say don’t.
Get the centres done black or whatever and then have silver paint around the rims.
Mine were corroding even when the bike was sat in the garage and I was constantly polishing them and touching them up. Probably spent more time doing that than riding to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Wilky811

Post by Wilky811 »

Good point. I’m a bit anal about keeping my toys clean and shiny and I’m retired so time spent polishing won’t interfere with my riding to any degree. Appreciate your thoughts on it though
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Wilky811 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:42 pm Good point. I’m a bit anal about keeping my toys clean and shiny and I’m retired so time spent polishing won’t interfere with my riding to any degree. . .
Likewise. I have more cleaning products than food in my home!! :lol:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I can recommend a powder coater in the NE but not a rim polisher.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Have had a couple storms with part polished wheels.. pita! If I was going for that effect again then i'd have the wheels powdercoated in a nice bright silver and then paint the centres black.
Wilky811

Post by Wilky811 »

Not a fan of the rim polisher :lol: Great idea to paint the wheel centres. I might just go with that. Cheers
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

I'm just happy mine are round!!
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

If your going to commit to spending the money to do it properly, would it not be powdercoat (or 2 pack) - machine lip - clear coat?
Wilky811

Post by Wilky811 »

I’m going to find someone who does Powdercoating and speak to them about what’s possible and how best to go about it. I don’t know enough about what it entails
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

For powder coating they generally media blast or use a caustic chemical mix to get the old paint off/degrease to prep the surface

You could use heavy duty aerospace paint stripper yourself to get a bare metal surface - mask off what you want polished. Paint the rest. Remove masking and polish and seal with lacquer the rims
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

I dont know how much luck you will have with laquer on polished alloy, but wheel manufacturers (and people who restore them) will traditionally paint or powdercoat, then machine the shiny bits, but leave enough of a keyed finish that will hold a clear coat of some description. They still start crazing once water gets under the first chip or scratch though.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Shauned71 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:03 am Have had a couple storms with part polished wheels.. pita! If I was going for that effect again then i'd have the wheels powdercoated in a nice bright silver and then paint the centres black.
That sounds like a good compromise does that Shaun :thumbup:

I do like the look of polished wheel rims like nigelrb's above though.

I remember when I was a young man (early 20's) I used to be polishing the exposed alloy wheel rims on my Suzuki GS1000 in my 1/2 hour lunch break at work :lol:

Chris.