Rear cylinder issue

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
datomo

Rear cylinder issue

Post by datomo »

G'day have a strange issue not making sense new firestorm basically I brought the bike not started in 2 years last owner removed the airbox snorkel so I'm missing that but kept stock jetting so far ive sorted CCT and rectifier cleaned carbs they where dirty not filthy but dirty ,the tank and the screen filter weren't to bad ,dozens of cooling system flushes all good now and a new battery.
As i live rural rode around dirt road good few km problem free so out to Highway get about 2 km getting up it and bike stalls out won't restart for a few minutes when it does only running on the front cylinder so limp home after 30 min or so when I restart it both cylinders running fine the barstard so off I go exactly the same thing happens again at exactly the same distance back cylinder dies 5 or 6 times over a week or so same issue , this is where it gets weird firstly thinking needle n seat so new carby kit and new plugs for the hell of it fuel lines all good diaphrams seem fine again the same problem at ruffly the same distance so thinking rear coil I swapped them over and still the back cylinder dies same frigging place so I checked the vacuum lines they all seem to be clear and crack free I'm just about lost when it's running good for the first 2 km she's an animal runs like a dream one of the times when the rear cylinder died I kept it going pulled the cap n dropped in another spare plug gave me a massive belt it was fcked lol but she was sparking fine it must be something simple but I'm running out of ideas also the little vac hose from the petcock is on the right outlet on the side so it's not that any help greatly appreciated any suggestions at all lol thanx in advance
AMCQ46

Re: Rear cylinder issue

Post by AMCQ46 »

Look at fuel starvation from the tank as an option. The front carb sits lower than the rear and hence the rear will run dry first.

Could be an airlock in the tank breather or a petrol tap not opening fully due to vac leak or ruptured diaphragm
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

And look at sourcing a replacement snorkel and anyother plastic bits in and around the airbox inc. the carb cowl as the VTR can be very temperamental in that department.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40272&start=1065
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
datomo

Post by datomo »

Sorted !!! after all that it was a mud wasp nest in the tank breather hose lol running like a dream now thanx for the suggestions it was doing my head in lol and yea I definitely agree want to get a stock airbox and snorkel for her if anybody has a spare untouched one they'd sell let me know thanx again ✌️🏍️🏍️🏍️
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

datomo wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:23 am Sorted !!! after all that it was a mud wasp nest in the tank breather hose lol running like a dream now thanx for the suggestions it was doing my head in lol and yea I definitely agree want to get a stock airbox and snorkel for her if anybody has a spare untouched one they'd sell let me know thanx again ✌️🏍️🏍️🏍️
Whats your location...?

UK ?

Lesser country not UK ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
datomo

Post by datomo »

I'm in Aus