Quick ACCT question

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vtrmike

Quick ACCT question

Post by vtrmike »

Hello all. First post here. Have been pouring over the site for quite some time but have a question I cannot seem to find the answer to! I have used the search function but nothing quite like im dealing with comes up. Relatively new to the VTR, not new to bikes. Im also a licensed mechanic so I generally know my way around. Bike in question is a 2001. Bought from the orig owner. Has around 38 thousand kms on it (24 thousand miles for my american friends) Had oem ACCT on when I bought it. Never been changed, bike is completely stock. For good measure I changed the factory ones with new OEM units just for peace of mind. At that time I just wanted to ride the bike so did not bother with manuals (yet). When I start the bike up cold no problem, I can ride it all day and not hear a noise. If I shut it off (to get gas etc) then start it back up hot i can hear a tick tick tick tick. Which to me sounds like valve/cam chain noise, coming from the front left area of the bike. (where the acct is roughly). It will tick for 30 seconds or so then go away. I can ride and ride and no noise. Doesnt seem to do it all the time, never can hear it when its a cold start. I was planning on taking them back out tomorrow to do the stopper mod. Will be fitting manuals this winter. Just wondering if any of you VTR folks could lend me some knowledge. I do not belive it did it before with the old accts fitted. I followed the instruction found on this site very carefully when installing them. Went smoothly. Anyone:?
Dickiebig

Re: Quick ACCT question

Post by Dickiebig »

Can't honestly give an opinion on your ticking.
I can tell that the accts, old or new, have a terrible reputation for letting go at any stage
For true piece of mind do the conversion to mcct or the stopper mod.
You will at least have eliminated the number one issue with these bikes
I am sure much more knowledgeable and practical people than myself will chip in.
All the very best.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I changed OEM to OEM for peace of mind, 18 months later one failed...

But it's usually not catastrophic, two new valves and a head gasket, half a day tops. Easy enough if you can reset the valve timing- just follow the guide on here.

Easier still to change to manuals it stoppers and have it sorted though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

the replies you will get will all reinforce the message that you shouldn't trust the CCT from Honda as it stands. either fit a stopper to the Honda part, or go for manuals.

but going back to your actual question about the ticking, if it is not too loud, then it could be thermal expansion / contraction not being instantly taken up by the CCT.
you did move the steel cover that sits onto the cam chain guide from the old CCT to the new one? I have seen some times where they have been left out and once I did find one loose in the engine!

but if you follow the instructions and fit Stopper, then you should all good. and no need to change to manuals after that is done, save your money for more petrol
AMcQ