Valve clearances

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chromedome

Valve clearances

Post by chromedome »

As I had to replace my reduction/transfer gear, I took the opportunity to check and, if required, adjust my valve clearances. This is the first time I've delved this far into a 4-stroke engine, so proceeding very cautiously.

My valve clearances are as follows:

FRONT VALVES
Right Intake: 0.14
Left Intake: 0.14
Right Exhaust: 0.28
Left Exhaust: 0.28

REAR VALVES
Right Intake: 0.14
Left Intake: 0.14
Right Exhaust: 0.30
Left Exhaust: 0.29

As the front exhaust clearances are at the minimum acceptable, I am inclined to adjust them, but am dithering over doing the others to get them in the middle of the range. Part of me wants to remove the bare minimum, and thus avoid potential rock-ups, and part of me thinks that while I have access I should do the lot.

In the paperwork I got with the bike, the clearances at 16,000 miles were recorded as all exhaust 0.29 and all intake 0.16; the bike has now done 34,000.
To those who work on these bikes a lot, should I do just the ones on the minimum, or get them all in the middle of the range?
tony.mon

Re: Valve clearances

Post by tony.mon »

Same answer as I gave on factlessbook.
But you've already started reshimming.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

You actually have 3 options to choose from.

First, do the minimum.
The bike will run fine but will have the shortest interval until the next adjustment.

Second, set all to spec.
They always seem to run the best with this option though it could possibly just be a placebo due to the extra time needed to finish the job.

Third, set all to the loose side of spec
No real difference in how it runs but you do get the longest interval between adjustments as the tolerances tighten with wear. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

So this is a good time to ask this a I really have no idea where to get a shim to get the clearances needed.
Is it worth to get a 140+ piece shim kit for the bike?
It would seem the best way to go rather than going to the dealership and get individual pieces, no?
Here's the setup I'm looking at.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164335118626

Good or no?
Thanks. ๐Ÿ‘
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website ๐Ÿ‘†
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

misnblu wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:08 pm So this is a good time to ask this a I really have no idea where to get a shim to get the clearances needed.
It would seem the best way to go rather than going to the dealership and get individual pieces, no?

Good or no?
Thanks. ๐Ÿ‘
The cheapest way would be to check the clearances to see if you need any first, then if you do buying individual shims of Ebay (as you suggest) would be the way to go. The only downside with that is it means your bike will be off the road longer than if you bought a shim kit as in your Ebay link, although that may not be a problem this time of the year. Of course you could buy the kit (not that one you list as they don't ship to the UK) do your clearances, replace the ones you use and re-sell it. The only problem buying from the USA you will most likely incur an import tax,

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

misnblu wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:08 pm So this is a good time to ask this a I really have no idea where to get a shim to get the clearances needed.

Good or no?
Thanks. ๐Ÿ‘
Another issue with the kits is they skip a step.
In US numbers the shims in the kit increase in .002" steps, while the bike has a tolerance of +\- .001"
So if you want to set the lash dead on, the kit might not have the shim you need.

The down side to ordering the shims needed is the down time but they are usually easy to get at places like Ron Ayers or Partzilla :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Well since I'm out for 4-6 weeks at a time I can measure the clearance, take note of what I need, and order while I'm out on the road. That's pretty much what I've been doing the last 3 months.
I've got to do the mcct's so that's why I'll be checking valve clearance too. Might as well while I'm in there. ๐Ÿ‘
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website ๐Ÿ‘†