Clutch stake nut, HELP!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Clutch stake nut, HELP!

Post by sirch345 »

Calling all who have experience in staking the centre clutch nut on the Firestorm/Superhawk, before I go mad :evil:

I have managed to feck up another brand new clutch stake nut. I even practised staking the nut (on the old one) 4 or 5 times with success and still managed to end up with a split in the staked part of the new nut.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong exactly, but it could be I'm over doing the staking bit, in fear of if enough is not down in the groove in the shaft it could come undone :?: May be I should only be hitting it a couple of times with the punch and leaving it at that.

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated :)

Clutch stake nut..jpeg

Cheers,

Chris.
freeridenick

Re: Clutch stake nut, HELP!

Post by freeridenick »

It'll be fine with the split Chris. All I can see the staking is doing is acting like a nyloc nut. There's a fair amount of tightness on the nut so any deflection of the band into the recess is fine. It's not going to have enough force on it to reverse the dent to undo. Similarly, if it's split there won't be enough force to bend that back on itself to let the nut undo.

Don't sue me if it goes wrong though. I'm fairly sure the nut on my knackered engine was a reused one. The thread is a single start I think, so the nut ends up in the same place when torqued up. The staked part is in the same place, but if it's not it's no biggie. The clutch side of that engine is fine btw. :roll:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Agreed, that'll be fine.
I usually reuse the nuts, I've got a collection of them and if, when it's correctly torqued, the section you need is already used, I try another one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Many thanks Nick and Tony for you vote of confidence.
freeridenick wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:17 pm It'll be fine with the split Chris. All I can see the staking is doing is acting like a nyloc nut. There's a fair amount of tightness on the nut so any deflection of the band into the recess is fine. It's not going to have enough force on it to reverse the dent to undo. Similarly, if it's split there won't be enough force to bend that back on itself to let the nut undo.

Don't sue me if it goes wrong though. I'm fairly sure the nut on my knackered engine was a reused one. The thread is a single start I think, so the nut ends up in the same place when torqued up. The staked part is in the same place, but if it's not it's no biggie. The clutch side of that engine is fine btw. :roll:
The part where you mention about the stake nut acting like a nyloc nut makes perfect sense. So there is no need to drift the stake part of the nut right down to the bottom of the groove in the gearbox shaft as you point out Nick, so long as the stake part of the nut is below the thread lines on the shaft it should do it's job. I think that must be where I have been going wrong and ending up with splits in the stake part of the stake nuts.

Cheers,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Exactly.
You won't want to try it, but you can undo a staked nut quite easily with a breaker bar, so it's more belt and braces than essential.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:30 pm Exactly.
You won't want to try it, but you can undo a staked nut quite easily with a breaker bar, so it's more belt and braces than essential.
I did try that with my test runs of staking the nut, that was with my torque wrench which must be 800mm long at least :)
I get where you're coming from on the belt and braces bit :thumbup:

Cheers,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I use a Halfords professional 1/2" with a length of scaffold bar on.
The weight of the scaffold bar alone tends to undo most clutch nuts!