Dreaded reg/rec

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
BrianC

Dreaded reg/rec

Post by BrianC »

Awoke the storm from its slumber ths afternoon eventually!!!

Forgot to disconnect my oxford charger maintainer so was surprised to see it registering about 18v

Put the meter on the battery and it was greater than 17v so im guessing the reg/rec is on way out?
Its a finned one
Wicky

Re: Dreaded reg/rec

Post by Wicky »

Doesn't sound like the bike's R/R as that does the charging from when the bike is running taking the generator output.

I'd look at the charger and the length of time trickling which like a bath with a tap dripping has over time overflowed...

"While both are typically 12 volt batteries, a motorcycle battery has less Amperage and requires less amp charge rate. Most automotive chargers pump out 13 amps, 30 amps or even 50 amps. While technically you could use the automotive charger, if you don’t keep an eye on it or leave it unattended for an extended period of time, the automotive charger will most likely over charge/fry your motorcycle battery. Some automotive chargers may have the option to switch to a lower charge rate, like 2A. However, even then you could damage your battery if you don’t monitor the process since the charger will continue to work and won’t automatically shut off if it’s an older trickle charger type unit."

https://www.chapmoto.com/blog/2019/04/1 ... e-battery/

Sounds like a new battery will be needed and I recommend a CTEK XS 0.8 maintainer.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sorry i wasnt clear.
I forgot to unplug the oximiser when i started the bike and it was registering 18v
I disconnected it and then ran the bike putting my multi meter across the battery when engine was running and it was 18v or so.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

What's the voltage from the battery showing today with the bike not running and not being charged.

"12-volt batteries supply useful energy only through a limited range — from over 14 volts (when fully charged and unrested) down to 10.5 volts in use/under load (when lights dim, your motorcycle is hard to start). No 12-volt battery will remain at over 14 volts for more than seconds unless it’s being charged. The lowest limit is 10.5 volts (used in testing) and obviously unsatisfactory in practical use."

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/battery

With the battery being simultaneously charged both externally from the main charger and internally from the alternator/R/R it could have caused damage mimicking what happens when a R/R fails and causes overcharging - Has it swollen or got hot to touch? You might want to take it a battery place for testing.

You need a perfectly good battery to work out if the R/R is the problem and overcharging will significantly decrease the battery's lifespan.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Wasnt swollen and not hot at all
Just checked it out and oximiser reading 12.4v
Disconnected oximiser - bike started fine voltage at battery reading about 16v.
I have a battery tester which showed battery to be fine
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Forgot to say my digital multimeter is screwed, so im having to use an analog one til i get a new fuse for the digital !!!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ive ordered a new meter for collection tomorrow, so will do more checks
bertye

Post by bertye »

Had to change my R/R to a MOSFET and all fine now. The main problem is having the Voltage displayed all the tine to spot a problem before more damage is done. I come up with a bracket to fit the VFR800 with the HISS unit, and jus found out that it will also fit the VTR with the HISS unit (sadly will not fit the non HISS). I have fitted one on my VFR but alas, my VTR is a non HISS, or I would have one on there as well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR800 ... SwPLhfTlhN
Last edited by bertye on Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Im going to go mofset i think

But on trying to find one on ebay there seems to be lots of chinese new ones - i presume these are crap?
Am i better going with a used one ?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

You can find Mosfet FH020's fitted to Yamahas, Triumphs etc. and available secondhand

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Yama ... 4760857541

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-675- ... 3765246641

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSX-S ... 4259221638

You'll need new connectors to suit - either get them crimped up to your loom or get a ready made fitting kit from Erik in the US.

viewtopic.php?p=351482#p351482

misnblu

Post by misnblu »

This is what I went with for my bike.
ED6CEE86-08B4-4597-9350-F716FD59E107.png
806EEE18-D9EC-4F2B-85FB-E53D6E8E2E2D.png
This Kawasaki unit has been recommended by many here and on the other VTR forums. 2 plug setup that I cut and spliced by soldering and heat shrinking the connections and finally tape wrapping like factory.

I mounted it with 2 nuts and bolts as seen in the picture and the seat cowl fits perfectly over the reg with no other modifications for fit. :thumbup:

You see the price I paid for it and well worth it.
Attachments
D7589FC4-C82D-4FF2-B929-567BB81E53DD.jpeg
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆
bertye

Post by bertye »

The last MOSFET I brought came from a almost new BMW. Even with the, you need to be careful as the BMW had problems with them and were updated, so important to check the code on them.
Last edited by bertye on Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Here is todays date
Got my new multi meter
Nice 12.7v at rest - starts as good as usual, however!!!!!!

18.5v when running !!!!!!

I think a mofset is required !!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Be careful what you order.
A moffet is a truck-mounted forklift and will have a detrimental effect on your bike's handling.
A MOSFET is a metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor.
A mofset is as above but mounted slightly to one side.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Good one tony!!!!

I have ordered the correct one :wink: