Anti-freeze/Coolant?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Anti-freeze/Coolant?

Post by sirch345 »

Is there any advantage for me to fill up the now drained cooling system on the Firestorm with clean water and run up to working temperature, then drain down when cold before adding the new coolant :?:

Cheers,

Chris.
TheBozBoz

Re: Antifreeze/Coolant?

Post by TheBozBoz »

Guessing for a better flush? There's a guy on YouTube I think called chrisfix who did a proper flush of his car coolant system, interesting to see the difference from start to finish. Use de-ionised water!

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

MacV2

Re: Anti-freeze/Coolant?

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:56 pm Is there any advantage for me to fill up the now drained cooling system on the Firestorm with clean water and run up to working temperature, then drain down when cold before adding the new coolant :?:

Cheers,

Chris.
According to the manual, after draing the old coolant out you shoud flush it through with clean water. IIRC it says use a hose pipe, so that means ok to flush with tap water.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Antifreeze/Coolant?

Post by sirch345 »

TheBozBoz wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:06 pm Guessing for a better flush? There's a guy on YouTube I think called chrisfix who did a proper flush of his car coolant system, interesting to see the difference from start to finish. Use de-ionised water!

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk
Yes may be for a more thorough flush. I was thinking the thermostat is closed when the engine is cold and you're draining the old coolant down. So there could be still some of the old still in the engine.
Thanks for the tip about chrisfix. I have the de-ionised water and coolant ready to go :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:27 pm
sirch345 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:56 pm Is there any advantage for me to fill up the now drained cooling system on the Firestorm with clean water and run up to working temperature, then drain down when cold before adding the new coolant :?:

Cheers,

Chris.
According to the manual, after draing the old coolant out you shoud flush it through with clean water. IIRC it says use a hose pipe, so that means ok to flush with tap water.
Yes it does say that you're right Mac, but I think that is only to flush the rads, as in if there is a load of gunk in the system. I can't see flushing with the hosepipe is going to flush the whole system if the thermostat is closed which it should be, but I could be wrong :eh:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Cheers,

Chris.
Yes it does say that you're right Mac, but I think that is only to flush the rads, as in if there is a load of gunk in the system. I can't see flushing with the hosepipe is going to flush the whole system if the thermostat is closed which it should be, but I could be wrong :eh:

Chris.
When you fill with new coolant its cold & the thermostat is still closed then but it still fills the whole system... There is only one fill point & thats the right hand rad. Been a while since I've done it TBH but IIRC you drain it, reconect the hose & refit the bung bolt, fill up with water drain it back down & repeat until it runs clear.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 pm

Chris.
When you fill with new coolant its cold & the thermostat is still closed then but it still fills the whole system... There is only one fill point & thats the right hand rad. Been a while since I've done it TBH but IIRC you drain it, reconect the hose & refit the bung bolt, fill up with water drain it back down & repeat until it runs clear.
That sounds like a plan Mac :thumbup:

Thanks for that,

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

There is a drain plug on the front of the engine to get the stuff left in the block :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:38 pm There is a drain plug on the front of the engine to get the stuff left in the block :thumbup:
Thanks Mike for the reminder, but I have remembered that one :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 pm

Chris.
Three flushes in the end did the job, although the water was almost clear after two, cheers Mac :thumbup:

Chris.