Crank Rebuild

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Dano

Crank Rebuild

Post by Dano »

hello all, Im fairly new to the vtr, my current predicament is that I need to rebuild my crank. I need to replace my Con rods as well, I live in Thailand so shipping is quite expensive, ive already received the crank itself but my mechanic sent me some photos of a manual saying that the on rods have to be weight(?) matched any info and knowledge would be much appreciated
tony.mon

Re: Crank Rebuild

Post by tony.mon »

Buy a secondhand crank complete with rods.

If you already have some, a few grams either way makes little difference, they're a limit engine as standard and don't rev high, so there's little point balancing them.
The STD pistons vary as well, but it makes no real difference.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Dano

Post by Dano »

Dano wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:39 am hello all, Im fairly new to the vtr, my current predicament is that I need to rebuild my crank. I need to replace my Con rods as well, I live in Thailand so shipping is quite expensive, ive already received the crank itself but my mechanic sent me some photos of a manual saying that the on rods have to be weight(?) matched any info and knowledge would be much appreciated
After buying a new crank complete with conn rods, My mechanic is now telling me I need to replace the main journal bearings. Anyone know anything about this? Just want to get riding again.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Main bearings are a service item and there are different sizes matched to the crank and cases. It's not unreasonable for these to be replaced as part of an engine rebuild and it's likely your replacement crank will need different bearings to make sure it fits your cases.