rear wheel misalignment

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tastethefloor

rear wheel misalignment

Post by tastethefloor »

hi guys, i just found my rear wheel was misaligned, apart the tire wear..is it possible to have done others damages?
anyway this is strange I found rear nut to be a little loose and I'm sure to had torque it to 93 N-m the day I changed the tire
sorry for my English
ciao
8541Hawk

Re: rear wheel misalignment

Post by 8541Hawk »

It could possibly cause odd wear on the sprockets and also can cause damage to the wheel bearings if run that way for any length of time. :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tastethefloor

Post by tastethefloor »

maybe also the chain :whatever
tastethefloor

Post by tastethefloor »

my rear wheel still be misaligned, I got a lot of tire rubber everywhere on the rear, so the tire doesn't work correcly.Both the marks on the swingarm are at the same distance. my question is do I have to trust these marks? this is strange because on the previous tire everythings was ok.cheers
p.s. tire pressure is ok, wheels is balanced
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i never trust the markers on the swing arm. use a string method or straight edges
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Agree, the marks are not always accurate.
Bear in mind it also wears the chain if it's out, because the sprockets aren't lined up either.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Not heard of 'the string method' how's that work?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Flatline wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:59 am Not heard of 'the string method' how's that work?
https://www.google.com/search?q=motorcy ... nt=gws-wiz
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The string method works but is a bit fiddly.

I've found that there's a lot of play on the right side of the wheel. No clue why but with the adjusters in the same place and the axle in, the left side doesn't move for and aft but the right side easily moves 5-8mm. Pushing the right side forward against the adjuster gives me good alignment.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:17 pm The string method works but is a bit fiddly.

I've found that there's a lot of play on the right side of the wheel. No clue why but with the adjusters in the same place and the axle in, the left side doesn't move for and aft but the right side easily moves 5-8mm. Pushing the right side forward against the adjuster gives me good alignment.
I agree on the string bit.

Using straight edges is easier, I usually raise my straight edges up on some bricks piled up to the required level.

I do the same as in making sure the wheel is pushed as for forward as it will go on the adjusters before tightening up the wheel spindle. Once the wheel spindle is tightened up I also nip up the adjusters to make sure they are tight (they should only move a small amount after the spindle has been tightened). If one adjuster turns a lot more than the other you didn't have the wheel up against the adjusters properly before tightening the wheel spindle.

I also have a red dot (a spot of red paint on the end of the adjuster bolt that I put there once I have the wheels properly aligned, that allows me to to keep an eye on how many flats of the adjuster bolt head I have turned it making it easier to turn both adjusters the same amount when adjusting the chain. Making a mental note before you start of which way the adjusters turn also helps when you're only making fine adjustments.

I just re-read that, it makes me sound like a Geek almost :eh:

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

freeridenick wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:17 pm The string method works but is a bit fiddly.

The way I get around this was shown to me by a real old timer..... After setting the adjusters, put a rag between the lower run of the chain and rear sprocket. Rotate the wheel so the rag takes all the slack out of the chain which pulls the wheel forward into the adjusters (Also a good time to re-check the alignment).
Then do the 3 handed magic of holding the rear wheel to keep tension while torquing the rear wheel nut to spec.

Actually with a little practice it is easy.... I use my knee to hold the wheel while tightening things down :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:23 am

The way I get around this was shown to me by a real old timer..... After setting the adjusters, put a rag between the lower run of the chain and rear sprocket. Rotate the wheel so the rag takes all the slack out of the chain which pulls the wheel forward into the adjusters (Also a good time to re-check the alignment).
Then do the 3 handed magic of holding the rear wheel to keep tension while torquing the rear wheel nut to spec.

Actually with a little practice it is easy.... I use my knee to hold the wheel while tightening things down :thumbup:
A good idea that Mike :thumbup:

Chris.