check there...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bluesman

check there...

Post by bluesman »

If you do search on http://www.superhawkforum.com on US Firestorm forum - there you will find detailed explanation with pictures about VFR tank mod.

I have just recently swapped 16 liter tank from 1997 model for 19 liter from 2003 model - some results here:

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6154

But beware: you need a bit more than just tank from post-2001 model.
You need tank + petcock with bracket + 2 fuel lines + vacuum hose (small one) and 1 hour of your time.

I am still planning VFR mod, but absence of time and money made me first go for just swap to newer model tank
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

My advice would be to fit an aftermarket filter and get it jetted
I used to get 95-100 miles to RLOD (16-litre tank)
Now I get 120-125

The benefit of doing this is you're getting the increase in range by improving the mpg of the bike
Consequently you're SAVING yourself money.That way the cost of doing it (£120-£150) is recouped in lower fuel bills and pays for itself within 5000 miles or so

5000 miles consumes
-- 50 tankfulls at 100 miles to RLOD (unmodded)
-- 40 tankfulls at 125 miles to RLOD (filter + jetted)

:. saving 10 tankfulls = 150litres = £150ish

If you just fit a bigger tank you do less stops but still use the same amount of fuel
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Ben,

TOP TIPS! :D

Ive already got a filter and the dynojet kit ready for fitting; i would say even with just the filter on it makes a difference, maybe +1mpg...

Also, would you not agree it depends how you ride? I've actually had 25miles from RLOD to petrol station using hills to roll down and good gear selection etc.....(yes i was crapping it after the clock hit 15!)

.....hammering it round your favourite bends is never going to get you such good MPG's as a continous speed on a motorway!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

I am with Ben on that - my experience this weekend - saving considerable money over 2000 km because of just new stock filter. Means with high-flow should be even better...
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I am just finishing off a VFR800 tank conversion for my Storm - just a bit of painting to do now - all brackets/panel beating/fabrication done. Not simple and certainly not a "bolt on", but it can be done. I got the tank off ebay for £25, so if it doesn't work then nothing much lost. Its the right yellow too!

As soon as I have finished, all the pictures (step by step) will be on the website I run for our club, so I'll post then and you can all have a look.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stratman wrote:I am just finishing off a VFR800 tank conversion for my Storm - just a bit of painting to do now - all brackets/panel beating/fabrication done. Not simple and certainly not a "bolt on", but it can be done. I got the tank off ebay for £25, so if it doesn't work then nothing much lost. Its the right yellow too!

As soon as I have finished, all the pictures (step by step) will be on the website I run for our club, so I'll post then and you can all have a look.
I look forward to seeing the pic's Paul :!: :D
Rob

Post by Rob »

Fitting a K&N filter improved my mpg from 36 to 40 (commuting so fairly relaxed riding)

Got exactly the same on a tank of texaco unleaded and a tank of optimax - but the bike felt better on optimax :)
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Rob wrote: Got exactly the same on a tank of texaco unleaded and a tank of optimax - but the bike felt better on optimax :)
Yeah optimax is great, i swear it makes mine run slightly better but wheather the extra cost is worth it i dunno...
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
xenophon

Post by xenophon »

Stormin Ben wrote:My advice would be to fit an aftermarket filter and get it jetted
I used to get 95-100 miles to RLOD (16-litre tank)
Now I get 120-125

The benefit of doing this is you're getting the increase in range by improving the mpg of the bike
Consequently you're SAVING yourself money.That way the cost of doing it (£120-£150) is recouped in lower fuel bills and pays for itself within 5000 miles or so

5000 miles consumes
-- 50 tankfulls at 100 miles to RLOD (unmodded)
-- 40 tankfulls at 125 miles to RLOD (filter + jetted)

:. saving 10 tankfulls = 150litres = £150ish

If you just fit a bigger tank you do less stops but still use the same amount of fuel
I've sent you a PM about this.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Right, try this for size. Leaving the inverness run on saturday after refilling at lochcarron there was very, very little traffic on the road all the way down to fort william for my first fuel stop. All the way there sitting beween 70 and 90, only dropping down to 5th for the occasional overtake. All very smooth and relaxed (wasnt in the mood for rushing after getting soaked earlier).

Pulled into fort bill with 101.2 miles on the clock and brimmed the tank with 10.14 litres. Allowing for a little rounding up and down, this means i was getting 10 miles per litre, with 6 litres still in the tank. (surprised me)

So, do you think I've found the answer to getting 160 miles out of a tank?
Rich.

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Thats 45 to the gallon
Good going Cuppa. :D
Sounds like you've got your jetting about right :D

Pete.l
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

cupasoop wrote: So, do you think I've found the answer to getting 160 miles out of a tank?
Hahaha, you've obviously never tried to get 16L in a Firestorm tank then!!
I think they measured the capacity using displacement rather than volume :?
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Pete.L wrote: Sounds like you've got your jetting about right :D
Nothing to do with me Pete, It's still the same as when it left the factory apart from the scorpians (just for the noise :wink: ).
Stormin Ben wrote: Hahaha, you've obviously never tried to get 16L in a Firestorm tank then!!
I think they measured the capacity using displacement rather than volume :?
Aww Ben, dont burst my bubble. I thought I was doing well there :roll:
Rich.

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

The most I ever pushed mine was 128 miles before fuel and I stopped at the next station.
Mind you it was new and in std trim and I was crapping myself from about the 115 mark onwards.
I was on the way home from Newcastle so it must have been the down hill run that helped :wink:

Pete.l
Skatrekker

Post by Skatrekker »

I do 90 miles a day commuting at 70 - 90 mph on Mway/A roads. I use between 8.3 to 9.3 litres for the round trip which is approx 48 - 44 mpg. Today I filled up with 12.66 ltrs having done 131 miles and the red light had still not come on. My storm is an FV, standard, has recently been serviced and has done 30.000 miles. I ride in a relaxed, smooth style ( well I think it's smooth ) using the torque rather than revs to maintain a higher gear for any given speed. I rarely use the brakes to slow down, relying on engine braking and accelerate just slightly faster than the traffic I am passing. Even with heavy traffic the 45 mile journey to and from work takes 40-50 mins.