check there...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Skatrekker

Post by Skatrekker »

I do 90 miles a day commuting at 70 - 90 mph on Mway/A roads. I use between 8.3 to 9.3 litres for the round trip which is approx 48 - 44 mpg. Today I filled up with 12.66 ltrs having done 131 miles and the red light had still not come on. My storm is an FV, standard, has recently been serviced and has done 30.000 miles. I ride in a relaxed, smooth style ( well I think it's smooth ) using the torque rather than revs to maintain a higher gear for any given speed. I rarely use the brakes to slow down, relying on engine braking and accelerate just slightly faster than the traffic I am passing. Even with heavy traffic the 45 mile journey to and from work takes 40-50 mins.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Skatrekker wrote:I do 90 miles a day commuting at 70 - 90 mph on Mway/A roads. I use between 8.3 to 9.3 litres for the round trip which is approx 48 - 44 mpg. Today I filled up with 12.66 ltrs having done 131 miles and the red light had still not come on. My storm is an FV, standard, has recently been serviced and has done 30.000 miles. I ride in a relaxed, smooth style ( well I think it's smooth ) using the torque rather than revs to maintain a higher gear for any given speed. I rarely use the brakes to slow down, relying on engine braking and accelerate just slightly faster than the traffic I am passing. Even with heavy traffic the 45 mile journey to and from work takes 40-50 mins.
That sounds pretty good to me :!: :D

Chris.
Skatrekker

Post by Skatrekker »

motorways are so dull to ride on it gives me something to work at. On twisty roads/trackdays I can get it down to 31mpg. I often go touring in France with a mate who rides a 96 Triumph Sprint and we inevitably fill up the same amount of fuel, but he has a much larger tank. I'm currently talking to Stratman about his tank conversion so I can reduce the amount of fuel stops even further.
chaz

Post by chaz »

been reading thru the tank thing, cant be arssed to change the tank size , Ive checked the online and Haynes manuals but havnt got a handbook yet.
can someone tell me roughly how much fuel is left in the tank when the red light comes on? I see it should be a 16litre tank but how much is reserve.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

i think it's about two litres
so 15 to 20miles ish depending on how you ride.

Pete.l
chaz

Post by chaz »

ok, just filled mine up and took 13 litres... 16-13=3 :oops:
so will be looking around 25 miles.
one thing we did find out at work, one of the old setters had a GS550, If he filled up at BP,Shell, Texaco he got in to work 6 days a week. but if he used Murco or cheap ones he only made it 5 days. this worked out on a couple of trial weeks so you get what you pay for.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I read somewhere on here that tanks are measured by displacement, as in how much water it displaces when submerged. Therefore it might hold a bit less than 16l.

We need someone to run there tank dry and see how much they can fit in.
Badger

Post by Badger »

I've found a way to get more mpg & more power :wink: :wink:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Badger wrote:I've found a way to get more mpg & more power :wink: :wink:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Look here 143 mile and run out. Could only fit 15 in!

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7113