Camchain tensioner failure!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SteveR76

Post by SteveR76 »

Hi folks,

Anyone experienced a camchain tensioner failure at relatively low miles? My 1999 VTR went bang at 150mph the other day... Can't imagine the damage inflicted, but know it wont be good. Still, at least it didn't kill me... Its done less than 15000 miles. I know of at least two other '99 VTRs that have both gone in a big way, causing major engine damage, at 15-16000 miles. My local Honda dealer insist there isn't a fault with the canchains and tensioners on VTRs, but I'm not so sure. Both my bike and my mates were bought, brand new on the same day from the same dealer, and both self destructed around 15000 miles. Coincidence, or potential manufacturing/design fault? So much for Honda build quality and reliability.... I intend speaking to Honda UK, in an attempt to get help with this - I simply can't afford the cost of what is bound to a be major repair job, and frankly, I'm gutted. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers folks,

Steve
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

There are loads of threads on this subject,
oh and yes they have been known to go pop & honda knows it to
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Sorry to hear about your bike.

I experienced the same last year while riding and likely got it stopped ok. The front of the engine was a mess but the garage fixed it up. Blew my confidence on the bike and I didn't trust it anymore so after looking a lot of money having it re-built I then lost even more tading in for a 600 Bandit :roll:

My VTR was bought and serviced at the same dealer since new and had a full service history but in the end that counts for nothing so I wont be wasting my cash doing that again!

Good luck with Honda. I sent 3 letters to them regarding the cam chain issue, the last one sent directly to the boss of honda UK. Needless to say I didn't even get an acknowledgement form them that they had reveived them. Seems like they are only interested in getting money out of us for new bikes and don't really give a toss after that.

I find the whole thing disgusting. Sooner or later someone is going to get killed over the sake of a £50 component failure but Honda don't seem to care.

It would really take a lot to make me even consider buying a Honda now.

Al.
captainkirk11

camchain tensioner

Post by captainkirk11 »

my firestorm's done 7400m and when starting it up last week there was a noise rather like a ball bearing flying around in a saucepan. I stopped the bike and restarted it and the noise had gone. When I got to the local dealers I was told that nothing goes wrong with the V twin, but on insisting that something was very wrong they got the mechanic out who immediately said " that's the cam chain tensioner mate,quite common is that, I've got one in stock and I can do it today"........makes you wonder how common it is don't it !!
Hooner

Post by Hooner »

doe`s anyone make a replacement kit...back in my youth ( a long time ago).....Yoshi and a couple of others used to make "double" tensioner kits for the 400/4 engines, which were quite prone to rattles and faliures.... :!:
Ride it like ya stole it !
Ralphie

Happened to me too

Post by Ralphie »

Dutchbiker here,

Last week on a trip in Austria i had problems with my VTR model 1999.
Suddenly a lot of noise doing 50 mph, I immediately stopped the bike.

Inspection by local Honda dealer gave bad news: chain tensioner broken, possible damage of the valves..... :cry:

There is a lot of talking about this in the dutch VTR scene, but the problem rarely occurs with the 1999 model. Some say a modification was made starting from the 1999 model.

My VTR is now upto 19000 km, hopefully it can be repaired.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: Camchain tensioner failure!!!

Post by firestorm_al »

Hooner wrote:doe`s anyone make a replacement kit...back in my youth ( a long time ago).....Yoshi and a couple of others used to make "double" tensioner kits for the 400/4 engines, which were quite prone to rattles and faliures.... :!:
APE do a manual tensioner for may bikes including the VTR - http://www.debben.co.uk/acatalog/Debben ... ts_19.html
SteveR76

Post by SteveR76 »

Thanks for replying guys.... Not very encouraged by Al's story though. Can't believe Honda could be so slack. I've tried calling their customer service number and only ever get the bloody ansaphone and, surprise surprise, they never call back. Hmm, great... I'll keep you all informed though. Thanks again,

Steve
stormy 1

cam chain tensioners

Post by stormy 1 »

hi guys im new to the storm but now im getting worried!.Do the tensioners just go or is there any warning?,will a bike mech be able to spot it?.Ive just got my 98vtr in HRC colours and would hate her to come to a nasty end. :cry:
stormy 1 ,kinloss scotland
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
delmeekc

tensioners

Post by delmeekc »

well, had enough of this tensioner stuff so just ordered a pair of the manual type. will report back on the installation and if it's not too time consuming I'll offer to fit em on the VTR if people want them.

Del.
stormy 1

Re: tensioners

Post by stormy 1 »

delmeekc wrote:well, had enough of this tensioner stuff so just ordered a pair of the manual type. will report back on the installation and if it's not too time consuming I'll offer to fit em on the VTR if people want them.

Del.
I wait your reply with hope :?
cheers mate :wink:
stormy :twisted:
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
SteveR76

Post by SteveR76 »

Progress report....

Spoken to Honda UK, and seems like they're prepared to pay the parts bill if I stump up for the labour charges. This of course is subject to an initial inspection by my local dealer, and will only apply if it was indeed a mechanical failure that really shouldn't happen at less than 15k. So, partial victory I suppose, and not too bad considering the bike is almost 2yrs out of warranty. Watch 'em try to bill me a full days labour now though....

Cheers, Steve
delmeekc

just a day

Post by delmeekc »

ehh, bet it'll be more than a day, they gotta take the engine out before they start, then strip it all etc etc, it'll be heads off and then split the cases. Also I bet they have not split a VTR engine yet. I have an engine forsale, has done 7k and was built by me and I got the crank, rods, pistons, rings etc all balanced. I can fit it too. can negotiate a price but would fit it for free, which is alot of work on it own.

if ya interested sebd us a pm and I'll give you my details

Del.
delmeekc

oh yeh

Post by delmeekc »

got the manual adjusters today, not sure whether to fit them, probably will when I get a spare few days. Spoke to Roger and he has never used them and never had an engine let go due to the tensioners,ummmm. Will fit em and see what the adjustment is like but if I'm not happy I'll just pull em out.

Del.
SteveR76

Post by SteveR76 »

Hi Del,

Thanks for the offer of the engine, but Honda are on the case as we speak... Total repair bill amounts to £560 - turns out the damage wasn't as bad as it could've been.... Just need 2 new tensioners, a camchain, just 1 valve, and assorted bits and bobs. No head damage at all, amazingly... They've agreed to pay for the parts (pretty good for a bike almost 2yrs out of warranty), which amounts to just over half the bill. Result I reckon!

Cheers mate,

Steve