Plastic headlights

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Skatrekker

Plastic headlights

Post by Skatrekker »

my Firestorm has a plastic headlight and I wondered if anyone has fitted a 100/80 bulb to one of these ? will it melt ?
I have no problem with fitting a relay and wiring to handle the extra current but obviously don't want to ruin the light. I've already fitted a brighter 60/55 bulb but I could use more power
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

yes mate, I have run a 100/80w bulb since I've had storms in 97, never had a problem with the switch burning out, no relay, just make sure the plug that goes on the back of the bulb is clean and making good contact. Also run them in the car and the VTX. I buy them in bulk, can do you a pair for £12. Have MaxPower Blues in stock, I've tried them all and found these the best, not road legal but I've been stopped in the car and bike for other stuff and the lights were only questioned once and I just said they are for driving in the rain at night and nothin else was said.

Del.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Ill have a set off you fella - will they go in my BBird too?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

dunno mate, we'll check next time we meet.

Del.
Fluffy

Nope not a BB

Post by Fluffy »

They wont fit in a Blackbird m8, they are not H4 bulbs. I actually got mine for my old blackbird off ebay, philips bluevision (H2 or 3 I think) for £12 a pair + P&P.

Not quite as meaty as Delboys, but still better than stock.

Have a look on the BIRD website and speak to Jaws http://www.superblackbird.co.uk he has them in stock for birds as he runs europes biggest owners club and has a bike shop over in Thetford. If you want ANYTHING for your Blackbird Wayne, get over on that site and grab Jaws or PsychoBikerBen...... both mines of usefull XX information.

Cya

Tony
I see no Firestorm......
Proudest Monkey

Post by Proudest Monkey »

delmeekc wrote:yes mate, I have run a 100/80w bulb since I've had storms in 97, never had a problem with the switch burning out, no relay, just make sure the plug that goes on the back of the bulb is clean and making good contact. Also run them in the car and the VTX. I buy them in bulk, can do you a pair for £12. Have MaxPower Blues in stock, I've tried them all and found these the best, not road legal but I've been stopped in the car and bike for other stuff and the lights were only questioned once and I just said they are for driving in the rain at night and nothin else was said.
And the burning question is... Do they actually light up the road at night? I don't do much night riding on country roads, but when i do, I would like to be able to see forward of about 2 feet in front of me. Can i simply "plug-and-play" a set of 100/80w bulbs?
She's Matte black and FULL-O-BEAUTY
and now sounding sweeter than ever with the new High Rise StainTunes :D

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/displa ... StainTunes
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Mr Proudest Monkey:

I ran a 90/130 in my VF500 for years, no problems at all. However, I found that when I stuck it in my Firestorm, because I wasn't doing long enough runs at high enough revs, the battery was gradually going flat while commuting, so I was having to ride with the headlight disconnected.

The battery and stator (alternator) are in good condition, the problem is that the stator output is only 280W, and the battery is rather small. There's not much of an output margin when running extra electrics, like a bigger headlight bulb, heated clothing, or whatever. It's fine if your revs are up, but I was lucky to get much over 5K rpm commuting, as if I revved it out, I'd be into the back of other vehicles, scoring lots of tickets, or whatever.

So now I've switched to a 55/100W headlight bulb, and that is much better for not running the battery flat.

So if you do long(ish) runs, or sustained running at revs above 4k rpm at least, then you should be fine with the 90/130 or whatever.

Hope this helps.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
Proudest Monkey

Post by Proudest Monkey »

Cheers Ian. I think i might try out a 55/100W bulb for a while then.
She's Matte black and FULL-O-BEAUTY
and now sounding sweeter than ever with the new High Rise StainTunes :D

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/displa ... StainTunes
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

By the way - I just remembered that on the VF500 I fitted some heavier wiring and a relay to the high-beam side of the headlight wiring. Although the 90W lowbeam was pretty good due to the good reflector design, the amount of light with it on high was unbelievable.
While you may not need to fit a relay, if you take the time to fit one for each filament, and run heavy duty wire through a fuse back to the battery, you should notice a huge difference in output, whether you fit a higher-wattage bulb or not.
Then again, it just might melt your headlamp shell.... :oops:
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I have always run a 100/80w bulb in all the VTR's I have had, never had any problems with switchgear or battery problems. I also had heated grips on all the time too and at one point a heated vest aswell, alway ride with lights on too (not side light). I guess I've done about 150k on vtr's with the bulbs. Also have em in the car and d VTX. The only thing I would suggest is make sure the connector on the bulb is a good tight fit and not corroded as this will cause arcing and then melt the plastic block that houses the female pins.

Del.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Bloody Hell Del. 8O
Do you also have electric draft excluders around your wrists and neck :?:
Still I suppose there's no need to go to the gym for a sauna.
You Can just go for a spin on the bike :P

Pete.l
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Sort of but I used to ride in any weather, used it in every snowy day over the past years, took ages to get to work.

Del.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Forgot, me VTX1800 has heated grips, heated seat and a heated back rest, too kin hot some times. Can feel it through me leather and back protector and waterproofs.

Del.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:P Excellent :P That sounds like a pretty cool set up....eerm I mean Hot...Ahg :? maybe I should just be quiet :roll:

Pete.l