Starting problem - Part 2

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
BIG STEVE

Starting problem - Part 2

Post by BIG STEVE »

Any avenue of persuit will be appreciated. :cry:
My first ever post was re - my starting issue, which after many attempts i cant seem to solve.

The symptoms :
Press strt button and it (sometimes) sounds realy "laboured" i whirs and whirs sounding progressively slower and slower and then just when it sounds like it might stop it fires a couple of times then vrooom we have ignition......
It will run fine then plenty of vroom no dodgy plumes of smoke or rattles / knocks (or at least no more than usual !!
I can then hit the kill switch and fire her up fine .......or it repeats previous with no apparent pattern ?

What have i tried so far:
Spark plugs changed.
Rectifier replaced for an R1 mod (charging V up from 11ish to 14)
Starter removed cleaned new shiny s/steel "connector" bolt added and greased up.
Altenator cover off, flywheel off, starter "sprag/clutch" oppperation checked and all is ok.

The only thing not changed/checked is the battery(not to good with electrics - not to sure what constitutes "dead battery ?) although i have had it on the optimate between fixing attempts often a whole week so i would have thought it would be charged tidy ??

If the battery is buggered would it charge up but have poor CCA (cold crank amps...i think) not giving ernough welly to the starter ?

I am realy stumped here fella`s & ladies, i am almost convinced that there is somthing "nipping up" internaly thats putting extra load on the starter causing it to struggle (possible paranoia also 8O )
But then when it does start it runs fine ??

I am looking for any suggestions please i suppose i should just buy a new battery and try that but £££ aren`t in abundance.

Thinking caps on :cry:

BIG STEVE
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Steve,
Have you tried checking the volts (with a volt meter) at the battery terminals when cranking it over trying to start it :?:

Cheers,

Chris.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I always use an Optimate and on the old battery it was still showing green lights, but ihe battery sooon ran out of puff unles she fired at once e.g. relatively warm, hadn't been standing. Also, a loose connector before had caused similar symptoms. Solution? New battery, all fine again.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Mines bolted on near LHS footpeg (its too wet to go look!).

The law used to be that it had to be on the LHS - so the coppers could see it from the pavement. Those were the days..........
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

cor blimey !! 8O nver thought to move the tax disk......god i am dull :D
Cross posting me thinks ??

At the moment i will give anything a go :?

Just to put my mind at rest (i hope) if somthing was nipping up or binding should a decent battery & tidy condition starter throw the engine round regardless ?
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

:oops: :oops: :oops: Wrong thread... how did that happen
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

BIG STEVE wrote:cor blimey !! 8O nver thought to move the tax disk......god i am dull :D
Have you tried putting more air in the tyres? :wink:
Rich.

Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I find a good buffing with a chamois leather brings mine up a treat.

Oops, sorry, wrong forum.................
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

All right, all right, settle down. It'll happen to you if you make it to 59 :P :P
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

hey jag it made me laugh.....cheers.

Further to the dilema , had battery off removed the "do not remove" plugs and peeped inside what do you know dryer than a nuns dry bits no fluid at all. 8O

I can almost hear the entire forum shouting " KIN TOLD YOU SO" :roll:

I feel that the shafted battery theory is looking better by the second !

You must agree if your a fellow electrical numpty, that if your multi meter (thats taken you light years to learn how it works) is telling you its got 12. whatever volts in the battery that it could be jiggered ?
My good friend has just painfully tried to explain to me Amps & Volts and CCA to the point where my obviously blank expression nearly landed me with a slap 8O :D

Maybe one of you more technical types could post a sticky with some basic testing routines and some electrical stuff for nuggets ?

Still dont think moving the tax disk is gonna cut it though jag :D PMSL
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

BIG STEVE wrote:hey jag it made me laugh.....cheers.

Further to the dilema , had battery off removed the "do not remove" plugs and peeped inside what do you know dryer than a nuns dry bits no fluid at all. 8O

I can almost hear the entire forum shouting " KIN TOLD YOU SO" :roll:

I feel that the shafted battery theory is looking better by the second !
That's sounding promising Steve :!:
My theory on that would be that the rectifier was the original problem, it packed in allowing the battery to be come over charged, over charged too the point of boiling it dry :!:

Cheers,

Chris.
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

My mate who was trying to explain the volt amp stuff is getting me a battery (only a loaner) but it is an 18 amp/hour not a 10 ?

Please excuse my stupidity but whats amp hr mean and whats the difference?

Will it do my machine any harm just as a test battery to confirm that my shagged one is the root of all evils ? :?
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

BIG STEVE wrote:Please excuse my stupidity but whats amp hr mean and whats the difference?
Dont worry Steve, all this electrickery stumps me as well but I do know what the amp hr bit means.

If you were running a device that uses 1 amp per hour off your 10 amp hr battery then it would last 10 hours before the battery dies. Hence, your 18 amp hr battery will last 18 hours.

It's a bit like changing from a cheepo varta battery, say in a torch, to a nice duracell one. Same power output, just lasts a lot longer. Just think of the bunnies :wink:
Rich.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Also a bigger amp hour battery is usually bigger in actual size :!:
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

HA HA HA :D PMSL
cheers Cupasoop , gotta laugh the piece of sh*t battery in there at the moment is a VARTA !!!!
All me bunnies have got up and gone the lil buggers :D

Was serious about the "sticky" post, there are obviously some rather elastic trickery friendly types on here that could impart some useful fuse saving info.
Or lead us to a tasty link or two "leccy stuff for divs" .com ??
sh1t HAPPENS !!!