reg/rec tits up? ):

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
lilnick

reg/rec tits up? ):

Post by lilnick »

Hey guys

Not too concerened about the crash bungs just now as the machine has stopped all together.

Blew the main fuse - stopped going. Seems that the batt is trying to dump its charge back though the system to the stater. Auto elec is having a squiz at the mo' but he is finding it rather puzzeling

Clues???
I am 23 years old own a black Vtr1000F a custom single pipe, gold chain and geared it down by 3 teeth on the rear.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

If if get it running and the voltage goes over 15v then the regulator has gone. The regulator is there to limit the voltage and converts the excess volts into heat, hence why the thing gets hot. If will either fail open circuit or closed circuit/short circuit.

If it goes short cct it'll blow the fuse. If it fails open cct then it wont regulate the voltage and you end up over charging the battery making it unpredictable as well as possibly damaging anything electrical on the bike, bulbs etc.

Mine failed open cct earlier this year and took the battery with it. When I got the new regulator I coated the back of it with heat trasfer compound, which you should get from any electronics shops, before bolting it on the subframe. Since getting the new battery and regulator, the bike has never stalled on my once. It used to be bad for stalling when cold. Not a problem now though, touch wood.

Al.
Skatrekker

Electric adventures !!!!!!

Post by Skatrekker »

Mine had a regulator problem and boilled it's battery while I was blasting around the roads near Knockhill. I replaced the regulator with a 2nd hand one and it was fine. Recently my brand new battery, replaced after 2 years as per normal, wouldn't start the bike even after a long run. Checked out all the charging circuit etc all fine, 14.5v everywhere except out of the battery.
Took it back to Bikes of Brighton who part ex'ed the battery for a top grade one. In future no more cheap batteries for me Rolling Eyes
lilnick

Post by lilnick »

Been a bit slow to get back on here.

Got the problem sorted. It was exactly what you said Al I got a big bad butt 35 amp for it - word on the street is that its the dogs.. No prob at all.

Now I just got to shell out $285 for a new rear tyre.

Life goes on, very quickly but on...
I am 23 years old own a black Vtr1000F a custom single pipe, gold chain and geared it down by 3 teeth on the rear.
davey_n

Regulators

Post by davey_n »

Had similar problems with 1998 VFR 800 - almost exactly as the warranty ran out!!

Read somewhere of a 'better quality regulator/ heavier duty' that was available. Seems big H likes the work for their service centres.