Fuel consumption

General Bike chat
Kip Dingo

Re: Fuel consumption

Post by Kip Dingo »

Mine has black/graphite wheels...but in 13 years who knows how many changes it's had? oh well...trip meter on display full time instead of miles...does the larger tank bolt on instead by any chance?
The older I get, the better I was.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Kip Dingo wrote:Mine has black/graphite wheels...but in 13 years who knows how many changes it's had? oh well...trip meter on display full time instead of miles...does the larger tank bolt on instead by any chance?
Presumably. I don't recall any changes to the frame in the '01 update. But 19ltr tanks very rarely come up for sale, and don't come cheap when they do
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

skyman wrote:late reg oldies are better / faster /slightly better bhp has it got silver wheels they went on in 1999
I have read this before. what did they do to it ??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

19L tanks, first off you would be very lucky to find one and when you do they go for a lot of money. They don't have a fuel tap like on the 16L and have a spigot, basically like a 90 degree pipe fitting. One hose comes off of that and goes down to the vacuum diaphram which is bolted on the frame. The two main fuel hoses that run from the carbs connect on to that, where as on the 16L combined vacuum diaphram/tap those hoses connect directly on.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 58#p170599

Also because the later storms have a digital fuel gauge the tank has a float (like a toilet cistern) rather than just a sensor for fuel level. These do swap over easily enough.

(:-})
Last edited by VTRDark on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have read this before. what did they do to it ??
In all honesty there's not much in it. The later ones have the emission (PAIR) system and also they put restrictor type things (well changed the shape) in the carb inlet rubbers under your carbs. Plus ther's the extra weight of 3L more of fuel. :lol:

chric

Post by chric »

skyman wrote:late reg oldies are better / faster /slightly better bhp has it got silver wheels they went on in 1999
think that's a old wifes tale myself mine's fast as f*ck compared to my r reg was im sure.could be wrong though was 7 year ago or somet like that
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

faster /slightly better bhp
Have you a source for how many horsey burgers improvement and top speed differences between early & late models -

* http://www.burniemorgan.com/firestorm/i ... 00f01e.pdf late model specs - Have you Honda specs for 1997-2000 model.

* Nothing I can see claiming more power or increased top speed.
For 2001, the engine received a detailed inspection of all the components that factor into its performance equation, which resulted in small but significant modifications made to such points as its carburettor and ignition settings in the interests of smoother, more responsive performance.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I personally think the difference is minimal, maybe 1 or 2 hp from the emissions and restrictor plates that can just be removed. Anyway, Honda probably made up for it with the ignition and carb improvements. Saying that, the only carb improvement I know of is installing 48 pilots as standard which most have anyway. Possibly a change in needle profiles as as well but that's just me hypothesizing.

There was rummer's that the later models had the +4 ignition advancer as standard, but that has been proved to be incorrect and the difference in part numbers is because Honda changed suppliers as Roger has confirmed. There could be improvements with the ignition map in the ECU. They must have done something there to compensate for the emissions. But I don't know for sure.

The only real differance is the extra weight of 3L of fuel but if one goes on a diet then you gain that back. :lol:

So in reality there is no real difference and the later ones are probably a bit more powerful due to less wear and tear.

Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Hi guys after much searching the length and breadth of the United Kingdomshire I have sourced a
possible storm seat for my elbow complete with motorcycle underneath... its a minter to be honest ... but
after reading all this I do not know if its an F2... 2002 with the larger tank so ...
with regard to the previous pic the dials look like this.... engine is really quiet... :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So can all the genius guys please tell me what is this storm likely to be... a 19 ltr tank model or
the older 16 ltr... bike is finished in blue with a gen mileage and is virtually unmarked. It is advertised as
an F2 2002 model .. Help please :thumbup:
Alb :wave:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

An ickle tank, still don't let that put you off if everything else checks out - The year of manufacturer will be on the VIN plate but don't pay extra for it being advertised as a later model, in fact it'll be something to point out to the seller and used in negotiating/knocking down a final price.

It looks like a teal coloured model so they should be begging and paying you to take it away. :p

How Can I find out which Model VTR F1, F2 or F3? > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 27#p243027
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

thats the old model clocks, so it shouldnt have the new big tank, it will be a 16L one.

but get it for a good price and it will serve you well.........I need to stop for a piss before 100miles, [sign of old age!] so stopping to fill up with petrol is not a hassle and it gives time for the others to catch up :D
AMcQ
Virt

Post by Virt »

AMCQ46 wrote: it gives time for the others to catch up :D
What sort of riders do you go out with, delinquents on mopeds? :D
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Virt wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote: it gives time for the others to catch up :D
What sort of riders do you go out with, delinquents on mopeds? :D
Wait and see it you can keep up with the flying scotch banana mobile !
Virt

Post by Virt »

lloydiecbr wrote: Wait and see it you can keep up with the flying scotch banana mobile !
Well there's at least 20 months before I could even consider taking him on, and realistically standing a chance with the advantages of my youth :P
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

thats the old model clocks, so it shouldnt have the new big tank, it will be a 16L one.
Also IIRC the Jerez blue metallic (Teal) colour was on the 2000 FY models. The later storms where not introduced until late 2001.