Disaster has struck. !!!!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Watty

Re: Disaster has struck. !!!!!!

Post by Watty »

Tony is the expert here so go with that! As the starter is knackered anyway I'd be inclined to flog the sh1t out of it with a persuader and drift first :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Not if you leave it on the sidestand.
But amy bits of grit or old gasket you disturb will drop into the enmgine, so perhaps it's best.
If not, jetwash the engine to try to get most of the grit and general dirtiness off first.

Unless the oil is really fresh (less than 500 miles) I would do it while you're there.
New filter, too, of course.

Watty, dunno about expert (ex is a has-been, spurt is a drip under pressure) but if there's an easier way, use that. I am perhaps mopre willing to rip[ loads of bits off and get staright to the sit eof the problems and rebuild later- but then I'm less fussed than most about getting arm-deep into mechanical rotating bits! (mostly as I have spares of pretty much everything if I bugger it up :lol:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks watty - that sounds a good idea

To be honest the starter is goosed now, hence my idea about just cutting through the shaft, as I can't get the body of the starter off to give me room, as the body is moving, but the shaft isn't !!!!

I might even just slice through the starter and leave the central shaft intact, then as you say heat around the engine casing and keep applying plus gas or acf

This is all pretty brutal - but this is a horror story

I thought I had done the real hard stuff by liberating all the rear suspension and getting all that right....
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I knew I'd get lots of advice and encouragement here. - to be honest without this forum in respect of the work I have had to do, I'm not sure I'd have made the progress I have......

Thanks everyone so far
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The really big problem would be if you damaged the crankcases, so avoid at all costs.
Watty

Post by Watty »

tony.mon wrote:Not if you leave it on the sidestand.
But amy bits of grit or old gasket you disturb will drop into the enmgine, so perhaps it's best.
If not, jetwash the engine to try to get most of the grit and general dirtiness off first.

Unless the oil is really fresh (less than 500 miles) I would do it while you're there.

Watty, dunno about expert (ex is a has-been, spurt is a drip under pressure) but if there's an easier way, use that. I am perhaps mopre willing to rip[ loads of bits off and get staright to the sit eof the problems and rebuild later- but then I'm less fussed than most about getting arm-deep into mechanical rotating bits! (mostly as I have spares of pretty much everything if I bugger it up :lol:
I don't carry any spares but I too ain't afraid to get bollock deep in mechanicals :lol: Oh.............. Hold on! Not sure that's quite what I meant :sheep shagger: :Oops: :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Totally agree tony

I will take it really easy - gentle heat and lots of plays fans etc
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Watty wrote:

I don't carry any spares but I too ain't afraid to get bollock deep in mechanicals :lol: Oh.............. Hold on! Not sure that's quite what I meant :sheep shagger: :Oops: :lol:
Knowtcha mean-
I've seen Blade Runner.. nudge nudge wink fiddler.

Oooops.... :oops:
Watty

Post by Watty »

tony.mon wrote:
Watty wrote:

Knowtcha mean-
I've seen Blade Runner.. nudge nudge wink fiddler.

Oooops.... :oops:
:lol: :lol: :clap:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Well what a day!!!!!

Following on from my disaster with the starter refusing to budge and my semi destruction of it!!!!!

Given the starter shaft was stuck and the outer body of the starter was moving I ended up having to Dremel through the two long bolts that hold the starter together.

This then allowed me to withdraw the end plate that holds the bolt holes and then withdraw the inerds of the starter complete with the shaft.

This then left me with this :

Then started the tedious work!!!

Having removed all the rubber drain pipes etc, insulated the oil pipe ad oil filter, I then started a ritual of applying heat to the block with my butane gun, then applying either ACF or plus gas,then letting it cool, then repeating, then repeating, the repeating ...........

Odd times I would give the remains of the starter a gentle tap, and as you can see there was a bit of the end plate left so inserted a screwdriver and gently applied pressure, and then repeat the cycle until I thought I saw a tiny bit of movement, so continue the cycle, then tap the remaining end plate up and down to get some rotary motion, then after at least 20 cycles and all afternoon, success!!!!!

So panic over, massive relief all round, and a lesson in just how corrosion can affect things

So I think I'll donate whats left of the starter to Marty for his sterling work in refurbishing starters (Marty - pm me your address) and await the arrival of my replacement starter.

Still, got all that rear suspension to build up now - then onto the dreaded manual CCT s!!!!

Thanks for help and support guys

Brian
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

:clap: Well done and a good save.

After all that how was the bolt under the rubber hood on the starter?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Watty

Post by Watty »

BrianC wrote:Well what a day!!!!!

Following on from my disaster with the starter refusing to budge and my semi destruction of it!!!!!

Given the starter shaft was stuck and the outer body of the starter was moving I ended up having to Dremel through the two long bolts that hold the starter together.

This then allowed me to withdraw the end plate that holds the bolt holes and then withdraw the inerds of the starter complete with the shaft.

This then left me with this :

Then started the tedious work!!!

Having removed all the rubber drain pipes etc, insulated the oil pipe ad oil filter, I then started a ritual of applying heat to the block with my butane gun, then applying either ACF or plus gas,then letting it cool, then repeating, then repeating, the repeating ...........

Odd times I would give the remains of the starter a gentle tap, and as you can see there was a bit of the end plate left so inserted a screwdriver and gently applied pressure, and then repeat the cycle until I thought I saw a tiny bit of movement, so continue the cycle, then tap the remaining end plate up and down to get some rotary motion, then after at least 20 cycles and all afternoon, success!!!!!

So panic over, massive relief all round, and a lesson in just how corrosion can affect things

So I think I'll donate whats left of the starter to Marty for his sterling work in refurbishing starters (Marty - pm me your address) and await the arrival of my replacement starter.

Still, got all that rear suspension to build up now - then onto the dreaded manual CCT s!!!!

Thanks for help and support guys

Brian
Hoorah hoorah :clap: :clap: Good on ya mate for not loosing heart and giving up :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The reason I started trying to take the bloody thing off was because when I pulled the colander rubber cover off that the nut was completely corroded - so much so that it was unrecognisable and had to be dremeled off !!!!

The new one will be well greased !!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Go on then, Marty, give that one a bit of a polish and a spray from a rattle can, clad it in enough plastic film carbon fibre and no-one would ever know.

:wink:

Good job, it's often easier once the panic subsides and you know you're in for the long haul.
Your'e almost ready for a seized engine bolt now :lol: