Cold. Very Cold

General Bike chat
clack

Cold. Very Cold

Post by clack »

fugging cold.

Anyone else having trouble starting in the mornings? Fine when its warmer, even when its wet, just crap in the cold.

Also is the firestorm susceptible to carb icing? Had a couple of less than fun moments with it cutting out towards the start of my ride into work.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

My storm did it regulary in v cold weather clack-not good on the middle of a roundabout 8O

Found Silkolene Pro FST helped slighty.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

:lol: :D
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: Cold. Very Cold

Post by cupasoop »

FirestormMike wrote:Yeah, although I'm much better after a cuppa.
Hey, watch it!
Rich.

Hankie

Post by Hankie »

I find mine hates running on choke, starts first time but need to push the choke off within 20-30 secs, then it just dies. Leave the choke on at all and it just splutters. Have to tickle the throttle for a couple mins without choke before it will idle but then it's OK. Got iridium plugs in at the moment (which helps I think).

ChrisH
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Odd, mines never been a problem in cold weather. Starts and runs fine with/without choke. Nothing changed on it engine wise, apart from cans, its as it left the factory.......
clack

Re: Cold. Very Cold

Post by clack »

FirestormMike wrote:
clack wrote:Anyone else having trouble starting in the mornings?
Yeah, although I'm much better after a cuppa.
:mrgreen:

its very odd. somewhat frustrating as I ended up getting the train in today which as a potential one off is a very expensive way to travel,

I guess this is what is referred to as 'character'.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Hankie wrote:I find mine hates running on choke, starts first time but need to push the choke off within 20-30 secs, then it just dies. Leave the choke on at all and it just splutters. Have to tickle the throttle for a couple mins without choke before it will idle but then it's OK. Got iridium plugs in at the moment (which helps I think).

ChrisH
i started post on this the day we had the mad crazy random snow and really cold day..and lots were coming out with the same issues..

your the first to mention the bit about the choke problem and it idling cause i have just worked out how to stop mine cutting out using the same method you just suggested.

think this was the other post about it..
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12749

since then i changed the plugs, air filter, oil filter and oil.
but not had to start her the past day or so as i have been off work. 2morrow is gona be the test cause its rather nippy out tonight..

a few people said a lot of the cold morning probs went after they started using a battery optimizer.
im borrowing one this week to see if it helps...
clack

Post by clack »

I can see how an optimiser helps but as I ride mine virtually every day you would think it wouldn't need one.

Park it up most nights at 7.30pm and then start it the next day at around 6.30am.

Anyway, the battery is now as flat as a witch's preverbial so the optimiser will be on this evening anyway.

I'm getting to the stage where I may just park it up from December through to the end of February. Not ideal but probably better for my health.
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

The optimiser will give a hint about the condition of your battery, it doesn't sound very healthy if it goes flat overnight.

ChrisH
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

[quote="clack"]I can see how an optimiser helps but as I ride mine virtually every day you would think it wouldn't need one.

Park it up most nights at 7.30pm and then start it the next day at around 6.30am.
quote]

i also use mine as my only form of transport, and i had probs starting her this morning, had so many attempts the battery nearly nearly died trying to get her started.