Bad start to the week.

General Bike chat
Blue

Bad start to the week.

Post by Blue »

It had to happen. 4 day old tyres, icy roads and down it went. Only at 15 MPH but its taken out all the left side of the fairing, exhaust, gear change, mirror etc. :oops:

The dilema I have now is my excess is £550 so do I put it through the insurance or fix it myself. The only problem with fixing it myself is the fairing. Mine is an 2003 in 03 blue and I cannot find replacement bits for it. Does anyone know if the earlier ones fairing fits as i am thinking if i can get the pre 2000 fairing and get it resprayed the right colour.

Obviously the budget on this is £550, anymore and I may as well just put it through the insurers.

Thanks in advance for any help as I need to get it fixed asap as I am now car bound :cry:
Apparently I'm supposed to care!!
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

done same, fink left choke on slightly bam bbbrrrrmmm on the deck minor spill, custom paint, done the handle bar end(cover it), brake lever rear(straighten it), fairing hhhmmm dont know yet paint job an all :?: may put extra wide stips on in these bits, indicator(ordered flush mounts), mirrors( get new with led indicators built in), exhaust(living history leave as).
Hate coming orf 2nd in a year 8O :x Forgot, tyres could be at fault as ride to work and on way back the bike was well skittish fitting new ones then will update. Road was frosty there an back!
chuxsta

Re: Bad start to the week.

Post by chuxsta »

Blue wrote:It had to happen. 4 day old tyres, icy roads and down it went. Only at 15 MPH but its taken out all the left side of the fairing, exhaust, gear change, mirror etc. :oops:

The dilema I have now is my excess is £550 so do I put it through the insurance or fix it myself. The only problem with fixing it myself is the fairing. Mine is an 2003 in 03 blue and I cannot find replacement bits for it. Does anyone know if the earlier ones fairing fits as i am thinking if i can get the pre 2000 fairing and get it resprayed the right colour.

Obviously the budget on this is £550, anymore and I may as well just put it through the insurers.

Thanks in advance for any help as I need to get it fixed asap as I am now car bound :cry:
sorry to hear about the slide... hope your ok.. presume its just pride damaged due to the speed...

if your not in a rush keep your eye on ebay,,
i smacked up my left hand side and have managed to replace every thing super cheap with patience and ebay.

lhs fairing, £30 - respray £75
clip on handle bars - £15 both sides.
lhs foot rest hanger £10

but as you have probably read i got knocked off today and now have the RHS smashed up :(
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Sorry to hear about your spill! I did write a guide on here ages ago about spraying with rattle cans, depending how bad the smashed panel is you might be able to mend it with a soldering iron and spray cans...a much cheaper option!

If its just cracks and isnt totally destroyed you might be able to bodge it back together :)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Blue

Post by Blue »

Sorry to hear obout your off as well, gutted that you have now done the right side.
The left panel on mine is completely destroyed so I am gonna have to get a new on butI can only find them for the older pre 2000 storms so need to check if they will fit :? It wither that or I am thinking about seeing if I can put tiger 1050 plastics/lights on it as its bars have been changed to upright renthals. only thing on me that hurts is my right thumb the got smacked when the bike hit the ground due to the new bars.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Sorry about your off mate, as Squiff says if its just cracks have a bash at repairing it but as a word of advice buy a fibreglass repair kit to strengthen the inside of the repair or it might just crack again after you have painted it.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

Beamish wrote:Sorry about your off mate, as Squiff says if its just cracks have a bash at repairing it but as a word of advice buy a fibreglass repair kit to strengthen the inside of the repair or it might just crack again after you have painted it.
+1 on that, tough break but at least relatively minor :(

can I just add that stresses on an unstrengthened repair can also lead to secondary localised cracks appearing (has happened on mine)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Sorry too hear of another off :!: Glad to hear you're OK though :!:

I'm pretty sure all the fairing panels are the same through the years.

Chris.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Ooops that's a bugger!

I reckon with peeps on here, E-blag and David Silvers, you should be able to repair for less than your excess, "No bother at all".

Obviously DS is easiest place to source panel from, iirc £135 +Vat and about £5 delivery.

How bad's the gear lever? is it mullered? if the main 'shaft' is ok, just drill it and put a bolt through it for now, with rubber over it. Fixed Queensbury Lads similarly and works a treat.

Is can standard? easy to source cheap;y from forum or e-blag if it is.

Mirror should be no bother either.

What's the etc?
clack

Post by clack »

I did something similar last year involving a myopic prck who couldn't even be bothered to stop after he clipped me.

Anyway, I was slightly less lucky than you as I dented the tank also. I've elected to ride it around 'grazed' until it comes time to sell.

You may have to take the DS approach for the fairing as I'm not seeing any 02 onwards panels on ebay in good enough condition to buy.

If its just the bar end, you can pick up a new pair from D2moto.com for about a fiver.

good luck.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Sorry to read this too.
Hope you're OK?

New tyres? Yep, carcases still have release 'juice' on them until they scrub in. Did the same a few years back with two day old tyres and a cold, wet road.
Don't forget if you do go through insurance they:- a) will expect everything that has a mark on it to be replaced (slight mark on a frame from a crash bung touching and they had mine down as 'new frame needed'), new mirrors as scratched etc so lots of dosh involved and; b) next year at renewal time and for the next five years you'll be saying about it to the insurance companies and it'll cost yer a lot more. Sorry, but been there and done that!!!!
Try to fix it yourself.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

I've got a set of original cans cheap if you want em??? :D
slot

Post by slot »

Sorry to hear about your off mate

I know it's no consolation but glad your ok :)

A guy on a Hornet passed me at about 50mph on the M602 @ 6:20am this morning, if i wasn't driving the car i would of shut my eye's 8O

Dave
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Ouch!

If the the fairing is relatively intact then it can be bodged for a lot cheaper than a new one

If cracked then drill the ends of the cracks so they won't spread - and as Squiffy suggested reinforce the back with glass fibre/epoxy (available from Halfords) aluminium mesh can be used to reinforce it all up if cracked into segments. Remember to remove inside panel paint & scuff up the plastic before applying resin/epoxy. Put masking tape on outside over cracks too stop resin oozing out - therefore if done neatly it will save needing to spray up. Function over form...

I've had my left side 'fixed' this way for a couple of years with a new replacement panel in the loft saved for a rainy day.

Blue

Post by Blue »

Hi again, Thanks for the replies. All the left hand side plastics are destroyed beyond repair along with the indicator, gear change and mirror, I dont do things by halves :lol: The exhaust is scraped on the bottom of the can but will be fine until I can sort out a set of aftermarket one.
I have looked on S site and cannot find new plastics on there but they are at the nec and I am off there tomorow so will go and find them as well as a new lid cos mine has a gouge on the side of it 8O Still not really sure what happpend but the bike just disappeared underneath me with no warning at all. It is the 3rd new tyre I have had on it so I normally take it easy for about a week to scub them in so to speak. Hey ho. Thanks again for the replies. 8)