hooked again!!!!!

General Bike chat
chuxsta

hooked again!!!!!

Post by chuxsta »

the craving is BACK!!!!!

been there once before, loved it,, spent hours days weeks months doing it.....
i then lent the mops to my dad and forgot about them.....
days weeks months years past and i never thought i would go back to it....

but tonight it all changed.......

i asked for my polishing mops back to try to tidy up some harris rear sets i got at a bargain price....
after an hour or 2 in the freezing shed and one gear selector lever done the craving has bitten me again...
MAKE IT ALL SHINY>>>> POLISH IT ALLL>>>>>>>

there is some thing so rewarding and therapeutic about taking a pebble dashed peace of aluminium off my bike and spending hours polishing it up so you could use it as a shaving mirror its that shiny..

is it just me or have others kicked the habit then fallen off the wagon when the tools are back in their hands.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

no im the same matey! :roll: i cant help it, even me lads pushbike is all shiney :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
patty

Post by patty »

FirestormMike wrote:And then you go down a salty road and ruin it. Thats what happened to my swingarm and back wheel last year, never again.
same as me mike!!!!!
i didnt even think i got caught out in the salt,but i did!!! and all the mirror polishing on my swinging arm was buggered!!!

had to get it powdercoated black in the end,just to cover it .

thats why this yr the rsv is tucked up in the shed,dec sorn,

and the c90 is getting the rough time....but its a c90 ,it can handle a bit of salt. :lol: the things bloody bullet proof!!

pat.
yellow all the way...
who needs 4 cylinders when 2 are this good!!

storm no more...rsv power now.
(along with 85cc of honda finest)
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

i know polishing up is the last thing to do this time of year, and when you have to ride every day rain or shine....

not that im gonna go gung ho just yet, but what is exposed i spray with that clear wax stuff that you leave on over winter and remove when salt has all gone in spring / summer / autum time.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I ordered some polishing mops and compound but the scoundrel on eblag let me down. I ended up hand polishing the blade wheels and its a pain in the ass keeping the rims corrosion free now.
not that im gonna go gung ho just yet, but what is exposed i spray with that clear wax stuff that you leave on over winter and remove when salt has all gone in spring / summer / autum time.
whats this clear wax stuff then?
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Beamish wrote:
whats this clear wax stuff then?
let me just text me dad an find out what its called..
i used to cake my hornet in it every winter.. if your heavy handed with the applications you get a slight tinge of dark yellow like a social club window from all the smoke ( in the day )..
and it drys kinda hard.. you obviously loose the mirror shine but it keeps all the delicate metal safe from the salt...
then you just a heavy degreasant or alcohol based product to remove it.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

just spoke to my dad,
he recommended the scottoil 365
http://www.wheelspincycles.com/products ... 5s214p1346

only down side is you have to apply it on a regular basis, but said its well worth the effort.. a few bike stores he calls on cover the bikes in this stuff before they sell them and give the customers a can of it.
and when they come back in for services etc they can tell if they have been using it or not due to the over all condition of the bike.

the other one i used to use we cant recall the name or make but found an equally similar product
http://www.fowlersonlineshop.co.uk/Prod ... &CatID=695

thats the spray on and leave stuff...
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

should just follow ratty's lead.......... paint everthing matt black no need to polish :roll:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Thanks Chuxta.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
grinner

Post by grinner »

ACF-50. It's the only way to go! Had my bikes treated for the last couple of years, this stuff is worth its weight in gold. Downpipes look like new still.

I had three bits of metal in my garden for three weeks, one with nothing on it, one treated with 365 weekly, one with one treatment of acf.

Even after 2 weeks, the 365 had rusted almost as much as the plain one.
3 weeks and on, the one with acf is still as shiny as it ever was!

No I'm not on commission!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Chuxsta I must admit I got a bit carried away when I started on my VTR headers :lol:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... pit+polish

grinner wrote:ACF-50. It's the only way to go! Had my bikes treated for the last couple of years, this stuff is worth its weight in gold. Downpipes look like new still.

I had three bits of metal in my garden for three weeks, one with nothing on it, one treated with 365 weekly, one with one treatment of acf.

Even after 2 weeks, the 365 had rusted almost as much as the plain one.
3 weeks and on, the one with acf is still as shiny as it ever was!

No I'm not on commission!
That's worth knowing Grinner, cheers for the info :!: :D

Chris.