back protectors

General Bike chat
gazbut

back protectors

Post by gazbut »

hi all
after the recent air bag jacket press i started thinking about my own gear.
whats the general opinion of back protectors?
also how much ££ for a decent one?
cheers
gazbut
:)
Zakalwe

Re: back protectors

Post by Zakalwe »

Get one. Wear one.

A broken back will really FUBAR your day.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Some are better than others....

ALL are better than nowt!!!
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

My advice would be get one and treat it like your crash helmet WEAR IT EVERY RIDE.

I've tested mine twice, first time going into the chicane at Donington when my bike decided i was going to fast in the wet. 8O
The second time I was doing about 50mph when an uninsured foreign driver thought I needed to get off my storm. I landed heavily on my left shoulder and back dislocating my colar bone and bruising all my ribbs.
The A&E Doctor who looked after me stated "if you hadn't been wearing your back protector and other protective clothing you would have been spending a conciderably longer time with us"
This is what I was wearingImage
They take a little bit of getting used to but are worth every penny.
If your shoping for one make sure you take your bike and clothing with you and try them on.
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

I have a Forcefield 2 back protector, wouldn't dream of not wearing it! feels a little weird at first but you soon get used to it plus it pulls your tummy in for when you have to get off your bike at the cafe to impress the laydeez :P

It's hard to look cool carrying toilet roll.
Ernie Cooley

Post by Ernie Cooley »

I recently imported an Alpinestars bionic "Race" protector, comes with extra fasteners to add in a chest protector. Not cheap but I feel bare without it on.

I lost my best mate to major injuries, including a direct impact on the chest which made me want to upgrade to one with extra chest protection.

As has been said, get one that fits your body and wear it no matter what!
Tony_tbone

Post by Tony_tbone »

I broke my lower back on my VTR back in 2005 and I was wearing a $400 Joe Rocket jacket that had lot of internal padding, but I wasn't wearing a spine protector. I high-sided and landed on a concrete curb on my lower back ("love handle") region. If I had been wearing a spine protector I likely would have done less damage to my lower back.

Since then I've been wearing a Knox Ricochet spine protector (05 or 06 model), which I believe they have improved and replaced with newer models.

Here is a review of the Knox Ricochet spine protector:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-pro ... tector.htm

Here is one I found from a quick search:
http://www.motorcyclegiant.com/ProductD ... tr&click=2

Here are some of the newest Knox spine protectors listed on their home page:
http://www.planet-knox.com/SearchResult ... egoryID=10
'98 VTR1000F - Superhawk 996
Dallas, TX
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

I wear a Knox back protector...once you get used to it you feel really vulnerable without it.

I came off at a Donington trackday...lost the back end exiting Coppice at about 95MPH. I can down really heavily on my right elbow- hard enough to force my elbow into my side and crack a couple of ribs. I slid for a bit and then started to tumble and bounce until I had a little lie down in a gravel trap.

My leathers were scuffed up. My right arm was black and blue from shoulder to wrist as well as my right leg from hip to knee. I can't say that having the BP made much difference, but then again, It could have been a hell of a lot worse if I didnt have it.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Just have the foam inserts that come with my jackets at the moment.

However, bought the wife a Forcefield back protector at bike show a few years ago, she won't go out without it.

They are supposed to be the dog's danglies - she reckons once it's warmed up and moulded to her back she can't tell it's there (the back protector - perverts!).

It certainly gets a good write up in all the bike press.

Think it was about £70 / £75 when we bought it - plus they do ones specifically for the ladies - must have odd shaped backs - :lol:

Once I have some surplus £'s I'll be getting myself one for sure.

Forcefield Clicky

Does anyone know if there are back / knee / elbow protectors commercially available with D3O / d3o in them yet? I know there's some French company doing motorcycle clothing using d3o but I'm interested in just replacement protectors.

Bloody amazing stuff!

Founder of d3o lab explains it here:

d3o on Discovery here:

Last edited by RedStormV on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

RedStormV wrote:
They are supposed to be the dog's danglies - she reckons once it's warmed up and moulded to her back she can't tell it's there (the back protector - perverts!).

It certainly gets a good write up in all the bike press.

Think it was about £70 / £75 when we bought it - plus they do ones specifically for the ladies - must have odd shaped backs - :lol:

Forcefield Clicky
Yep, it's weird when you first put it on it feels as stiff as a board after a few minutes the gel pad shapes perfectly to your back and then you don't even notice it's there :)

It's hard to look cool carrying toilet roll.