FIX THE ROAD SYSTEM

General Biker Banter
METALDAN

FIX THE ROAD SYSTEM

Post by METALDAN »

WANT TO COMPLETELY REMOVE CONGESTION FROM OUR ROADS?
HERE'S HOW

Ban 56mph HGV1s from the middle lane, as soon as we stop the speed limited races down our motorways we remove a 56mph rolling road block every 350 yds.

eye sight tests for everyone who, on a clear, bright, sunny, dry day with 100% visibility is more than 20% below the speed limit

ban hgv from minor roads across the country except for access, you can do 56ph on the motorway or a max 40 on country lanes, stop doing it!

retest every housewife that normally drives a metro for the school run but hubby's off today so she's taking the range rover, e class, saab estate :roll:

and the retiree, who's driven an austin allegro all his life and has just picked up his golden handshake, and his 4.2 v8 jag, topping out at 12mph on beautiful, twisting double white lined country roads
Put me in an empty room with a brick and i'll either break it, lose it or hurt myself on it!!!
ImageImage
andyh

Re: FIX THE ROAD SYSTEM

Post by andyh »

Timbo wrote:You are on drugs arent you? :biggrin
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me thinks the lift don't go to the top of METALDAN's floor :!:
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

I'd tend to agree with you guys - either his green grocer stocks some wierd fungii or, more likely, 'the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead'

That said, he does sort of have a point - I'm at risk of pi55ing off all the HGV drivers out there (sorry Dave 'Zipper').

Put fecking freight back on rails!!!!

OK I know Dr Beeching 'conveniently' arranged for the dismantling of a lot of rail infrastructure, wonder if he had stocks in TNT et al?
However, all cities and most large towns within living memory (mine at least), had rail freight depots which distributed locally using smaller trucks and vans. Most large freight was distributed nationally by rail, at a time when there was far less traffic congestion on our roads.
Not all rail routes were torn up, not even all freight routes. Some have had tracks re-laid and are increasing in use for commuter rail tarffic, there's 'new' stations popping up alll over the place. New 'cycle routes' / 'country walks' could in a lot of cases be re-laid.

Retrain HGV drivers to build railways, drive trains, build and man freight depots :eek2

Thereby, keeping HGV traffic to a minimum on the roads.

What about dusk till dawn only for HGV's? Well more realistically, say 21:00 till 09:00

I've stopped short of re-using the canal's but hey! there's an idea :lol:

Here I sit waiting for ......

Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

METALDAN wrote:WANT TO COMPLETELY REMOVE CONGESTION FROM OUR ROADS?
HERE'S HOW

Ban 56mph HGV1s from the middle lane, as soon as we stop the speed limited races down our motorways we remove a 56mph rolling road block every 350 yds.

eye sight tests for everyone who, on a clear, bright, sunny, dry day with 100% visibility is more than 20% below the speed limit

ban hgv from minor roads across the country except for access, you can do 56ph on the motorway or a max 40 on country lanes, stop doing it!

retest every housewife that normally drives a metro for the school run but hubby's off today so she's taking the range rover, e class, saab estate :roll:

and the retiree, who's driven an austin allegro all his life and has just picked up his golden handshake, and his 4.2 v8 jag, topping out at 12mph on beautiful, twisting double white lined country roads
Well said that man
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

My way of thinking is 1stly sort out the motorways have 4 lanes, the left for caravans / hgv, raise the speed limit to 90+ for the outer lane over taking. then you have two crusing middle lanes.

For inner city I would widen all A-B and single / double carrageways put double yellow lines on them, also on town roads, have a seperae buss lanes built which don't take up normal lanes, make sure also that busses have off road laybys so they can pull off the road to pick up passangers rather than hold up traffic behind.

Build out of town free park and ride and also have a Monorail there also.

Get rid of all speed cameras, speed humps, narrowing of roads and suchaines (spelling) fecking pricks whoever wants and supports that should be shot. To me they are hazadarous and cause conguestion.

When utility companies dig up the roads they should be made to pay and resurface the entire road, and come back to top up when the crap they have put down sinks.

Get the councils to fill in more pot holes. Stop fathing up roundabouts with uncessary trafficlights as all they do is cause conguestion

also get rid of all toll roads.

^^^^^^^ if that was done this country could be a dream to drive in.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

The supermarket car park in our village is a nightmare mid morning.

Octeganarians who can't see, can't turn the steering wheel more than a 1/4 turn and seem incapable of using the accelerator. These are mixed in with the more dangerous idiots. 17 year olds with baseball hats racing round at stupid speeds and delivery drivers who think its OK to park anywhere.

Which is why I usually walk - being retired myself!
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Seven Of Nine Firestorm wrote:When utility companies dig up the roads they should be made to ....... come back to top up when the crap they have put down sinks.
Errrrrrrr .......... They do mate, they do.

Not only for if / when it sinks either, thay also have to remake if it stays proud of the surrounding surface too.

Tis usually a civils contractor working on behalf of a utility these days, but they are all accountable under the New Roads & Streetworks Act 1991.

Newly surfaced roads are usually verboten for digging for quite a while afterwards too, known I believe as a 'Section 58 Notice' - Prevents any civils work on the road for anything from a few months to at least a year, maybe more.
METALDAN

Post by METALDAN »

FOOK SAKE, (sorry shouting again)

Opened a can there didn't I :biggrin ?
Put me in an empty room with a brick and i'll either break it, lose it or hurt myself on it!!!
ImageImage