Whenever your enjoying something.........................

General Biker Banter
stormingjoe

Whenever your enjoying something.........................

Post by stormingjoe »

:sad2 gone out on a nice ride with my 1000 mile tyres, collecting a nice collection of damned screws, put slime in, that hasnt worked gonna see about plugging now, or paying out for another new one......... :mad2
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
marravtr

Re: Whenever your enjoying something........................

Post by marravtr »

thats w@nk matey, i dont trust repairs tho, i'd be chucking a new one on :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

1000 mile! Your rear should be fooked anyway :twisted:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Tried slime in my rear tyre. So far its been in for 2 weeks and is OK. Done about 500 miles up to 120mph. I'm still disapointed though. The web-site ad says tested at 150mph and lasts for up to 2 years. When I get the bottle it says keep below 45mph and get the trye repaired asap. So still feel ripped off.
Anyway its a brand new tyre so there's no way I'm changing it. Next stop is to put a tube in it.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Used slime for years in MTB tyres but not on the motorbike. Just carry a plugging kit should I get a puncture.

The tyre fitter I use hates slime too-makes a right bloody mess :biggrin
SP1's rock!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I got a puncture on the back tyre last year around June , the tyre had only done around 400 miles 8O

I thought it was a nail ,but on pulling it out with long nosed pliers ,it turned out to be a sharp stone :!: The puncture was almost in the middle of the tyre,s o i got it repaired,£16 iirc,.....have had no probs whatsoever ,and have been at ...err...high speeds on numerous occasions.

Was very apprehensive for the first day or so ,then you tend to forget about it ,infact tyre nearly goosed now ,hopefully will get another couple of months out of it :!:

NOT the way i'd have done it if i was loaded ,...but im not loaded ,so...needs must..,and it saved a bit of cash at the time :(
Stevie
mwad

Post by mwad »

I had a similar problem before.

I had a brand new tyre on my ZX 6R. Rode it back from the tyre suppliers to my workplace. Left work to ride home. Got home and see my rear tyre looking flat and see an inch screw :evil:

The tyre had done less than 10 mile !!!! Was REALLY pi##ed off but had to get a new tyre.
VTR's are for life, not just for Christmas
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Never had good results from Slime or Tyre weld.
Ultra Seal is the only one I'd use. Saved me a fortune over the years in both the car and the bike even put a teaspoon in the pushbike and fixed that too.

Sirch put a link up for it a little while ago.
(i'd post one myself but the info is on my other pc and I'm too lazy to search :wink2 )

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Got a puncture two weeks before the Bulldog Bash last year, and there's no way I'm putting new rubber on to go killing it with burnouts and abuse on a dragstrip.

So I used the slime, which just kept leaking out of the hole and onto my hugger, :sad2 and in the end put a plug in.
That lasted until I got there, :) and all four (4) runs between bloody showers....... :sad2

But the tyre bus they have on site has cheap tyres :) so I've always got a new rear to come home on.

So plugs seem to take quite a bit of abuse without problems, IMO.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

putting in for repair, £16 if can be done, will tell me morrow after scraping goo out, hes gonna save some to put back in. Should be fine as they are using mushroom type patch and loads of glue. Money needs to be spent on brakes if repair holds out for life of tyre ill be happy. :wink2
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

Have any of u tried "goop" .... I am guessing it must be like this "slime" stuff u are all talking about.....but......it works :)

I use it on my wheels and have punctured a tyre with it in and it has sealed the hole up within seconds......worth a gander fo sure :biggrin
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Only worry I have about using this sort of stuff is that if you get a subsequent puncture (or punctures) you won't necessarily know about it.
The stuff will just seal around the nail or screw and you'll be oblivious.

So you could have a blowout later.

I'm happy putting the stuff in when I know I've got a puncture, but wouldn't want to ride around for long with it in.

Just my two pennorth.....
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

A good point Tony but Not quite true of all of them.
Here's and excerpt from an Ultra seal review. It might be worth a read.

THE 3 UNIQUE ABILITIES, WHICH CAN ONLY BE FOUND IN ULTRASEAL
1.The ability not to seal dangerous punctures: - Ultraseal does not have any of the failings that previous and many present products have. Apart from drying and balling up in the tyre, the biggest failings of traditional tyre sealants in a high speed tyre, was the inability to seal small holes, but the ability to seal a large dangerous hole or cut, because they contained large chunks of chopped up rubber. Whereas Ultraseal contains only tiny strands of coarse surface synthetic fibres that are stronger than steel when they interlock tightly together, but will only positively seal small holes caused by puncturing objects up to 6mm in diameter, but only in a hole that is in the tread area of the tyre, and that is shrinking in size because there is no cord damage (rubber recovery), which is 95% of today's high speed punctures. Anything bigger, or in the sidewall, with or without cord damage, and the Ultraseal fibres just slowly bleed through the hole, giving a controlled deflation, and usually with a halt or abrupt slow down in air pressure loss at the lower pressures of 10 to 15 psi (depending on cord damage) which prevents damaged rims, and helps the driver maintain control and possibly enabling continuation of the journey to remove the vehicle from a possibly dangerous location.

2. The ability to give full even coverage, throughout the whole inner tyre: - In a high-speed tyre, traditional tyre sealants do not give 100% crown coverage. They usually only cover 65 – 85%, whereas Ultraseal contains a very clever ingredient called Thixogel™ which is not a glue, but has similar abilities to glue by allowing the Ultraseal formulation to cling evenly over the whole inner tyre surface. It does this when the lateral movement of the vehicle throws the excess Ultraseal over the whole of the crown, then side-ways up the inner sidewalls of the tyre where the Thixogel™ properties then enables it to stay firmly stuck over the entire crown with maintained sidewall coverage for added heat dispersion to the rim.

The Thixotropic qualities of Thixogelâ„¢ also enables Ultraseal to go very liquid when the vehicle is at speed, but also enabling the liquid to snap back into a thick gel when the vehicle comes to rest, so the product stays evenly coated in the inner tyre, instead of pooling on the bottom. which is most common with traditional tyre sealants.

3. The ability to withstand the heat and stress in a tyre: -
Unlike inexpensive traditional tyre sealants, the Ultraseal concentrated liquid gel formulation containing 24-superior ingredients will not separate, or ball and dry up because of the extreme heat and centrifugal forces that can be created in a very high speed tyre. Ultraseal has been tested and proven to stay liquid in a high speed tyre for 40,000 miles and beyond.

What it doesn't say is the ultraseal is also purple and if the damage is severe enough it can't seal the hole it will leave a purple mark on the tyre and also leave purple splatters all over your mud guard.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Mmmmm, looks quite impressive.
Thanks for that, love the thixotropic bit, clever.

Not too sure about this bit, though:
"the lateral movement of the vehicle throws the excess Ultraseal over the whole of the crown, then side-ways up the inner sidewalls of the tyre".

Car tyres have lateral forces during cornering, etc, but as a bike is pretty much always perpedicular to the forces going vertically through the tyres (proved by closing your eyes when banked over {no, as a pillion :plainsmile} when it still feels like you're upright).

So I can't see where lateral forces apply- tyres with sideways forces on them might not add much to your riding experience!

Lastly, the thing that worries me most is where you get two or more punctures in a small area.
As you'll know from getting punctured tyres repaired, they won't do it if two holes are within a certain distance of each other, due to the possibility of a blowout at this weakened point.

And as long as I'm aware I've got two punctures I can do something about it, ie ride slowly, not load up the tyres with acceleration, cornering or braking.
But if the sealant has done its job (as it says, sealing up holes up to 6mm diameter) then it might be that you have two or more holes within a small area but aren't aware of this.
(although the purple colour and splashes on your hugger and rear light help).

Anyway, that's my worry, but to be fair I find that in practice I only get punctures on brand new tyres when trying to get to somewhere important on time on days/times when the tyre shops are shut!
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

the sealant leaks out all over place, green crap everywhere, the hole was about 3mm so in theory should have sealed it easy, no way. with the gunge in there you could get home or service place albeit at reduced speed and have it repaired or replaced.