which is the correct battery for 02 firestorm

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gazbut

which is the correct battery for 02 firestorm

Post by gazbut »

hi all
confused here!
bought a new battery ,yuasa ytx12 bs (good price at £45 preston battery)
but when i've come to fit it this morning it is too tall (1/2") for the battery compartment.
on some sites this is the correct part number?
did the battery change when the firestorm was updated with bigger tank, clocks etc?
does anybody know the correct battery?
cheers
gazbut :oops:
Wicky

Re: which is the correct battery for 02 firestorm

Post by Wicky »

According to the YUASA APPLICATIONS & SPECIFICATIONS DATA BOOK 2003 there is a difference in specs between early n late VTR models -Take it back and start again

http://www.lilko.us/ta/Honda%20XL650V%2 ... 20Book.pdf

VTR1000 F Firestorm 97-00 YTX12-BS "SUPER MF" SEALED,NON-SPILLABLE

YTX12-BS Capacity (Ah/10HR) = 10, L 150mm, W 87mm, H 130mm

VTR1000 F Firestorm 01-02 YTZ12S INTERGRATED MF", WET-CHARGED, NON-SPILLABLE

YTZ12S Capacity (Ah/10HR) = 11, L 150mm, W 87mm, H 110mm

Don't use the late model battery in the early storm as this thread illustrates:

http://superhawkforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16799
Last edited by Wicky on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
solorider

Post by solorider »

gazbut wrote:hi all
confused here!
but when i've come to fit it this morning it is too tall (1/2") for the battery compartment.
did the battery change when the firestorm was updated with bigger tank, clocks etc?
cheers
and you paid £45 for a battery,they see you coming,david silver charges £29 plus vat,i think mine cost £35 off ebay for a varta battery (ytx12bs),david silver list the battery upto 2000,2001 on is a different battery,they list a CT12ABS,here is one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CT12A-BS-YT12A-BS ... 240%3A1318
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I picked up a YT12A-B for mine last year. Although it has a slightly lower CCA rating (no problems though, even on chilly Canadian mornings) it is also shorter and almost 2 lbs lighter (not to mention cheaper too).
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

solorider wrote:
gazbut wrote:hi all
confused here!
cheers
and you paid £45 for a battery,they see you coming,david silver charges £29 plus vat,i think mine cost £35 off ebay for a varta battery (ytx12bs),david silver list the battery upto 2000,2001 on is a different battery,they list a CT12ABS,here is one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CT12A-BS-YT12A-BS ... 240%3A1318
Ive been checking battery prices as i'll more than likely need one soon,bike has already refused to start once :(

The £29 battery on David Silvers website you refer to is a Non-Genuine item , it could be anything :!:

Thats a good price for the Varta ,i've seen them around that price elsewhere,the Varta is actually dearer than a Yuasa at around £50 on the Busters website 8O

The Yuasa ive seen is £45 here ,same price as Gazbut paid for his...http://www.moonraker-motorcycles.co.uk/ ... cfm?ID=124

Also saw an Exide advertised somewhere ,prob quite a good make, at least Yuasa ,Varta and Exide are recognisable names, id like to save a bit of cash n go for something cheaper ,but its prob not worth it in the long run.

In most cases ye get what you pay for i suppose :)
Stevie
solorider

Post by solorider »

try this ebay seller,he does varta batteries at a good price,this is where i got mine from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motorbike-batteries-direct
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Aye ,cheers,thats a good price for a Varta,with free delivery :!:
Stevie
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

I bought a Dynavolt CTX12BS for mine and it's been fine for 12months now.
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

bikerpiker wrote: Also saw an Exide advertised somewhere ,prob quite a good make, at least Yuasa ,Varta and Exide are recognisable names,
have to admit I would stay away from Exide batteries from personal experience had two of them die on the car
Exide Maxxima 900DC lasted 4 months (bloody dear one out of warintee that did tick me off somewhat)
also a Exide black 500 AMP didn't last a year refused to charge. I do hate sealed batteries also those gell types NOT good.

Had a Yuasa before are quite good, but also had one die on me can't remember which type used for model aeroplanes 12v thou.
Never used Varta might try them next.

Perhaps the bike batteries perform better than car / hobby ones, just had some bad experience with certain brands mainly Exide.