Want to cry, my bike is knackered

General Bike chat
Seeker 77

Want to cry, my bike is knackered

Post by Seeker 77 »

To cut a long story short, went for a thrash, changing down through the box, no crunches nothing. Pulled up to the lights, fine. Pull away, up through to 3rd and clunk, clunk, clunk. Go into 4th, no noise. Drop to 2nd missing third, nothing. Back in to third, clunk, clunk, clunk. Ride home in 4th and 2nd. Read the TLR forums and this is commonly known as teeth coming off the thrid gear. 5 mins later, have a fag. Start looking at how to fix, engine strip required :sad2

Dropped the oil, inspect, few tiny little bits of metal, nothing major. Is there any way back? How much of a job is an engine strip and rebuild. I am pretty good with a tool kit but i imagine that i will need a bucket loads of seals and filters that would normally get replaced by a garage. Has anyone done this before? How hard is it? Should i just get a new engine?

HELP!!!
Seeker 77

Re: Want to cry, my bike is knackered

Post by Seeker 77 »

Thansk Mike, that may be the easier way to go in the long run. Want to make sure that the gearbox is hooped before i splash out though. Anyone know a way to check it without a full strip?
Max

Post by Max »

As I'm sad and bored I just had alook at the service manual for the TLR. Repairing the gearbox looks a bit of a tw@.
The engine has to come out, all ancilleries stripped off and then the cases split vertically.
Have you got a copy of the service manual? if not pm me your address and i'll post you a copy as its 180mb.
Max

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Blimey Mark (Mellis), that's not so good :!: I guess the up side is (if there is one) you should be able to get it sorted in time for the summer,

Chris.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

well thats suzuki crap for ya, cant beat a honda :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
lee67

Post by lee67 »

i ran my tl for a year and half...never ever had any gearbox problems, and it was used hard...infact i havnt heard of 3rd gear problems..suzuki gearboxes are among the best in the world....maybe u was just unlucky??..did it have reg oil changes etc??
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

marravtr wrote:well thats suzuki crap for ya, cant beat a honda :wink:
Very helpful :roll: Oh and by the way my SP-1 threw a piston ring so you can beat a Honda!!

I have got the manual thanks Max. I am doing some more checks tomorrow to see if it really is the gearbox, i am now more than a little unsure if it is or not. Unfortnately the only way to really check is get the fly wheel off and look through the side into the 'box.

Hoping to get some more answers though before i commit to stripping the engine down :sad2
Last edited by Seeker 77 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

Always bad when this happens even more so when your not sure what the problem is too. Hope you get it sorted and its not to expensive. Always a good excuse to upgrade though make it stronger. :D
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Bidding on an engine now, fingers crossed!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

So, did you 'win' said engine?

LSM
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Won the engine, pick it up on Wednesday. Will let you know if it runs!!!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

TL has the "fangled" damper Timbo.

In saying that, never had one issue with mine (previously Lee67's) and that had done nearly 30K. It went like stink too :mrgreen: poo'd on a VTR from 90+ :twisted:

Sorry to hear yours has gone crappy Mellis. sh1t happens sometimes. Hope you get it sorted mate. TL's are good bikes despite the negatives some people have about them :wink:
SP1's rock!
lee67

Post by lee67 »

dont worry mark, your not alone,my new bike went pop on friday !!...engine dead..and that was low miles full service history :evil: thank feck for warranty
Dean O

Post by Dean O »

Timbo wrote:You bought another bike Lee? Or do you mean your scoot? Either way its a pisser
tough break Lee :(

note how my sympathy ain't tempered with an ill disguised barb :biggrin
lee67

Post by lee67 »

Timbo wrote:
lee67 wrote:dont worry mark, your not alone,my new bike went pop on friday !!...engine dead..and that was low miles full service history :evil: thank feck for warranty
You bought another bike Lee? Or do you mean your scoot? Either way its a pisser. Been a lot of this sort of thing on here lately, hope all get sorted without too much fuss.
yes i meant my £5k scoot timbo :sad2