Mine reposted - now with pictures

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Kitch

Mine reposted - now with pictures

Post by Kitch »

Some of you may remember the post I made detailing what I'd fiddled with.

Well, here it is in a new home with new shiny pictures.

Well, now my bike has fewer bits that were as Honda made them in the factory, I thought I'd post an update of what shiny bits I've put on and a brief overview of why I did it and what benefits I've gotten from it.

Engine & Drive Train mods:

K&N Air Filter - Fitted to make best use of the stock engine. Honda's airbox is pretty good, but doesn't breathe well enough if you put aftermarket pipes on.

Stage 1 Carb Kit - (not an Atkins diet product) From Dynojet. Fitted to combine with the aftermarket filter and exhaust for best results. Requires setting up properly but is well worth it.

I'm so not bothering stripping the tank off to photograph these. :D

Custom Hand Made Exhaust - Fitted as I tried 4 different exhausts to find one that has exactly what I want in terms of look, riding position, noise and performance.

The above combined with a proper set up by Revolution Racing has yeilded more power, better throttle response, smoother and stronger pull and better fuel useage as a nice bonus.

Here's what they sound like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPJ4aV8_omg

APE Cam Chain Tensioners - Original set started to make funny noises. Replacement set with upgraded springs did the same. Fitted solid state racing adjusters and can now banish CCT concerns permanently. Anodised in red for extra bling.

Renthal Sprockets and Tsubaki 530 Gold X-Ring chain. Ratios are 15/42 which is 1 tooth down on the front and 1 up on the rear over standard. Heavy duty chain for good mileage vs. lighter 520 ones and less faff in converting. Much better pull now with improved acceleration and most noticeably in top gear. Pulls same speed as stock about 500rpm higher, so not too bad a compromise on distance cruising ability. Gold chain looks bling too.

Chassis Mods:

Front Forks - modified by Revolution Racing using custom springs and valves developed to suit the FireStorm and my weight. Cheaper and arguably more effective than a complex front end swap. Doesn't look as bling though.

Exactly the same as normal forks with custom internals, so nothing special to photograph.

Penske Shock - Vast improvement over stock item, fitted and set up to match with the equally vastly improved front end. Remote adjustment is handy too.

Image .. Image

Ancilliary Mods:

Front Calipers Suzuki GSXR1000 K1 6 pot Tokico - Looks ultra bling and has much larger pad area than standard. Improved braking power and a world of 1 finger stoppies awaits. Fits straight on with no messing too.

Front Master Cylinder Honda SP1 19mm - Larger bore than standard. Fitted to provide a better partner to the GSXR calipers in providing more power and large bore size for maximum feel at the lever. Also fits straight on with no messing.

Braided Steel lines - Front brake, rear brake and clutch all wear braided steel hoses. Harder wearing, slightly increased performance, blinger look, and no pressure bulging vs. standard rubber hoses.

No photos of these, but you can see them in the other pics.

2 Bulb HID type headlight - custom built direct replacement in an original headlight housing. Not pukka HID lights, but 2 H3 bulbs with HID lenses.

Clear Alternatives LED rear light - Clear lense matches silver bodywork much better. LED unit so no more replacing bulbs and plugs straight in to standard fittings.

Clear Flush Mount Indicators - front and rear. Much nicer look and profile than bulbous standard ones. Might upgrade them with LEDs instead of bulbs in future.

Speedo Healer - now my speedo reads 100% true, even with the altered gearing and my mileage is correct too.

Yamaha R1 Regulator/Rectifier - fitted to replace the woeful Honda original. Later models got a better one, but this one is huge.

Optimate Battery Conditioner (plus new battery) - Coupled with the rectifier, my electrical system is now ace. Optimate's are great, fully charged battery all the time and just a lead to plug in.

No pics of the electronic gubbins.

Motohaus Mirror Extenders Nicely engineered, looks fine and I can see behind me. Bonus.

Bodywork and Cosmetics:

Front Mudguard - Replaced with a standard item, but in black to match the bellypan and hugger. Looks nice.

See it on the large pics at the top.

Skidmarx Moriwaki style Bellypan - Looks nice too. As bellypans go, its small and slim and looks right for how I wanted. Larger bellypans are probably better in a practical sense.

Pyramid Plastics Hugger - Also nice. Keeps the crud off my lovely shock too.

See it on the large pics at the top too.

Powerbronze Undertray - After terrible experience with cheap undertray, bought a proper one. Fits well, and really tidies up the back end. Looks nice.

See it on the large pics at the top also.

Ermax Double Bubble Screen - Besides looking nice, it really does make a difference to windblast. Very little buffeting and a much more comfortable ride especially on motorway slogs.

So there you go. Hope you like it as much as I do.
Last edited by Kitch on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Beamish

Re: Mine reposted - now with pictures

Post by Beamish »

Looking good Kitch, very tasteful. Would be interesting to see feel the difference over stock suspension.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
SILVER ZIPPER

Post by SILVER ZIPPER »

Is'nt that suspension work worth it :cool2
Looking great Kitch.
I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE TO PUT IT AWAY........
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Aye. Its not too bad for a 30,000 mile 10 year old bike. :)

Yeah Dave. Roger's "da man"

Beamish, I said you could have a go any time we we're in the same place. Still can.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Kitch wrote:Aye. Its not too bad for a 30,000 mile 10 year old bike. :)

Yeah Dave. Roger's "da man"

Beamish, I said you could have a go any time we we're in the same place. Still can.
Thanks Kitch, I sort of have an unwritten rule where I dont ride others steeds and dont offer my own out. I have broken the rule on occasion but I watched my mate accidently through a one year old GSXR750 down the road. When its not yours in the first place it really hurts for both parties concerned.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kitch, your bike is looking good :!: 8) I like the different mods you've done. The suspension must be great with both front and rear done :!:

Who supplied that Clear Alternatives LED rear light :?: Is it a stop/tail plus no plate light and is it as bright as the standard one :?:
Beamish wrote: Thanks Kitch, I sort of have an unwritten rule where I dont ride others steeds and dont offer my own out. I have broken the rule on occasion but I watched my mate accidently through a one year old GSXR750 down the road. When its not yours in the first place it really hurts for both parties concerned.
I have to say I totally agree with that Jim :!:

Chris.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Its from Clear Alternatives off e-bay.

Mines just a stop light and its as bright as the original one with the bonus of being LED so it doesn't blow bulbs.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kitch wrote:Its from Clear Alternatives off e-bay.

Mines just a stop light and its as bright as the original one with the bonus of being LED so it doesn't blow bulbs.
Cheers Kitch for the info :D

Chris.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Aye Tim,

They're the ones Chris 'Hankie' made up when he was bored for 5 minutes!

Luckily got one on mine, still waitin' for one for wor lass' Gixxer