best tyres for storm??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
donk

best tyres for storm??

Post by donk »

Help people,

I would like some new hoops for my storm but am unsure what to get. I would like something that lasts a bit, is good on the road but is also track friendly as i have some booked for this year. Can anyone offer any advice?

cheers

Donk
knuckledragger

Re: best tyres for storm??

Post by knuckledragger »

Hey Donk...............Dunlop Sportmax gets my vote, loads of grip, hard wearing and very good in the wet. Stick to a 180 rear section, it'll turn in and hold it's line a lot quicker than a 190. I use to be a Brigestone fan untill a mate who fits bike tyres for a living put me onto them. Against my better judgement I gave them a go and have never looked back since, apart from over taking and turning right :lol:

Regards........
donk

Post by donk »

Nice one thankyou, i sat for ages scratching my head,having come from R6s and GSXRs i wondered what would be the best choice. Thanks KNUCKLEDRAGGER!!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Just to add to the mix.......Bridgestone 021's are thw dogs danglies as well.Harder wearing but heat up quickly.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

Michelin pilot power 2ct here dont last to long but very sticky and sure footed :D
B120CR

Post by B120CR »

BT21's for me, everytime. Excellent all-rounders, good mileage, can purchase relatively cheap if you have a look around and I run them every working day of the year and never lacked confidence in them come rain, snow or shine!! :eek2
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

on bt021 and agree very good, think marginally better than sportmax when cold, bout same warm, which the sportmaxs are a bit slow at coming to temperature.
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
bigfatbloke-71

Post by bigfatbloke-71 »

Never had 021 on the Storm but had them on the VFR. I would NEVER buy another Bridgestone after these.

3000 miles finished off BOTH tyres. The front was dangerous and had no shoulders left. I had an 014 on the front of the Storm when I got it and this went the same way.

Avon Storms for me.
andyh

Post by andyh »

Bridgestones for me as well, BT 014 front 021 rear, never let me down yet, loads of grip in the wet and dry.
tiggerii

Post by tiggerii »

I got fed up replacing the back tyre every 2k when I ran BT014's so I switched to BT021's. I've found them to be as good as the 014's, they warm up quickly and grip really well. I did the California Superbike School at Silverstone on Friday and they were excellent on the track as well.
2000 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm - SOLD
2009 Triumph Tiger 1050 - from two cylinders to three!
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

bigfatbloke-71 wrote:Never had 021 on the Storm but had them on the VFR. I would NEVER buy another Bridgestone after these.

3000 miles finished off BOTH tyres. The front was dangerous and had no shoulders left. I had an 014 on the front of the Storm when I got it and this went the same way.

Avon Storms for me.
Good job you didn't have softer tyres on then! 3K is a wee bit low (especially for a front) but I'm guessing you ride hard in which case they kept you upright. Only issue with 021's are the cost!
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

I'd just like to add how I'm loving the Michellin Pilot Road 2.

I've had Bridgestone BT014, BT021, Avon Storm ST on it before and the Michellins are the best out of all of them. Even the criminally short lived (1000 miles) BT014 supposedly grippy sporty race tyre.

And here's the kicker, I've done 10,000 miles on mine. I got the same mileage out of the Avons, but had a few tiny slides on them and it knocked my confidence in them.

So there you go. Cleared that up eh.

Only 50 different recommendations to choose from :)
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
donk

Post by donk »

Thanks for all your advice, i think it's settled Bridgestone 021's it is. if anyone knows where some are going cheap, pass it on!! I have seen a pair on ebay for £165 then £7 postage!.

Thanks again all
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kitch wrote:I'd just like to add how I'm loving the Michellin Pilot Road 2.

I've had Bridgestone BT014, BT021, Avon Storm ST on it before and the Michellins are the best out of all of them. Even the criminally short lived (1000 miles) BT014 supposedly grippy sporty race tyre.

And here's the kicker, I've done 10,000 miles on mine. I got the same mileage out of the Avons, but had a few tiny slides on them and it knocked my confidence in them.

So there you go. Cleared that up eh.

Only 50 different recommendations to choose from :)
I'm I reading this right Kitch, you've got 10,000 miles out of the Michellin Pilot Road 2 tyres and by that you mean the back tyre too :?:

Chris.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

10,000 miles :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 I was getting about 1200 miles to a rear on the 014's but that upped to 2500 with the 021's (I do like to nail it out of bends which rips the middle out of em. The rear on the blade (Dunlop Qualifiers ) is about 400 miles off dead as well with 1500 miles showing. My mobile tyre man loves me, sends me a chrimbo card every year :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'