2001 RSV, Puff of smoke on start up

General Bike chat
evo360

2001 RSV, Puff of smoke on start up

Post by evo360 »

from cold on start up, my mates RSV. went out on it saturday, garaged it and then got back out i=on it on sunday morning, when he started it up there was a puff of smoke just on the initial start up for a second, any ideas?
Beamish

Re: 2001 RSV, Puff of smoke on start up

Post by Beamish »

Lots of possibilities, did he wash the bike before last putting it away? The exhaust heat can cause a moisture build up an initial start up (my blade does it most times). How many miles has it done?
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

My RSV does the same . especially if it's been sitting a while . or if the night before has been chilly
if it clears after a few seconds during warm up for instance i wouldnt worry too much.
put your hand over the end and see if it gets sooty, dont touch it of course. hot burny.
and smell your hand as well if it smells strongly of petrol adjust the mixture more air less fuel. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/ are useful as are
http://rsvzone.com/forums/forumdisplay. ... e5bca7&f=2

hope this helps :wink2
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
evo360

Post by evo360 »

yeah cheers, just seemed odd, he said that he'd never seen it before and the bikes only done 8.5k, literally only lasted a second but there was a fair bit??
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

check the airbox for oil.. RSVs are notorious for spitting oil into the airbox, if there is even a little to much oil in them.. just a thought.. :wink2
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]