I might be swapping my Firestorm

General Bike chat
bikerpiker

I might be swapping my Firestorm

Post by bikerpiker »

Due to me having aches n pains when riding the 'storm much more than 130 miles , mainly my butt/hips , so ive advertised it for a swap in the local classifieds.

Im just testing the water,to see what i get offered ,and it's by no means certain i will Swap, as i do like my bike :!:

Money is not an option,as i'm skint (still short-time working),and tbh cant be bothered looking for other bikes,and being without one for a while.

Ive asked for bikes like 1200 Bandit ,Early xjr1200 ,And zxr 1100 etc ,ie preferably something big and naked .

Mines has been advertised only 2 days,and so far i've been offered 4 bikes

My bike is an R-reg ,in vgc :!:

Here's what i've been offered -----

1/ P-reg ,near mint Yamaha Thunderace 1000 (i'm not interested in this)
2/ 1999 Honda Hornet 600 (too wee ,looking for a bigger bike)
3/ 2001 GSX600F with some cash also 8O (again,im lookin for something bigger)
4/ X-reg GSX750W Retro ----now i like this style of bike , nicer than the bandit imo ,but a bit underpowered @85bhp :?:

Here's a pic of it ,its fookin nice i reckon...anyone know much about them :?: , i did read the bigger Suzuki engines fit straight in ,not sure if this is true or not.

EDIT just been offered a Trophy900 with full luggage,scottoiler,heated grips etc...will ask for more details and pics on that one as well :!:
Last edited by bikerpiker on Sun May 17, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Re: I might be swapping my Firestorm

Post by RedStormV »

Noooooooooooooo mate

Why not go the route of VTRBob and quite a few others, and either fit risers or flatbars or both?

Helps a lot with the wrists or so I understand.

Much cheaper than a PX for a bike you don't know and you get to keep the Storm!
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

Don't know much about GSX750W but I do know that example looks to be in superb condition, someone has looked after it (provided the mechanicals have had the same treatment). I know about the aches 'n pains, annoying to cut a run short 'cause yer back's killing you. I miss the storm but my new tiger is so much easier to ride all day, I've done 5hrs and still feel great. Wish I'd been able to keep the storm tho even if it was only for short outings. I didn't think high bars looked right on a 'storm and maybe not the whole answer anyway. One thing I have realised since changing bikes is that my storm desperately needed suspension work, it never inspired confidence through twisties but without anything to compare to I thought it was just me being chicken! The Tiger corners much better at speed but slow speed handling was actually better on the storm - likely because of the tiger's higher COG. The dealer I flogged the storm too is asking £2495!, expensive but he did have to fix the bjorked timing case cover and fit new tires (and offer a guarantee!) so I guess it's a fair price.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

FirestormMike wrote:
RedStormV wrote:Noooooooooooooo mate

Why not go the route of VTRBob
What, sell the storm and buy a supermoto ?
No silly, risers and flat bars
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

RedStormV wrote:Noooooooooooooo mate

Why not go the route of VTRBob and quite a few others, and either fit risers or flatbars or both?

Helps a lot with the wrists or so I understand.

Much cheaper than a PX for a bike you don't know and you get to keep the Storm!
I've already done that Graeme , the mod much improved the riding position for me ,but its not so much a sore back or wrists at all now .... but ive got a new problem...after 130/140 miles or so my butt/hips get sorer by the mile :( I'm not saying i cant/wont do more miles ,it just makes it bloody uncomfortable :(

Normal day to day riding not a problem at all.

The seat on the gsx above looks sooo comfy :D , just not sure if the decrease in bhp would be a problem :!:

Anyway ,as im skint and can't trade up , its a straight swap im looking for , but NOT desperate for , as i might go down the road of buying an Air Hawk seat cushion ,or removable gel pad or similar, as i do like my 'storm.

Heres the ammended list so far of what ive been offered for my R-REG Firestorm

P-reg Yamaha Thunderace in mint condition
99 Honda Hornet
X-reg GSX750W Retro
2001 GSX600F Plus some cash
T-reg 600 Fazer
Trophy900 with luggage
01 Kawasaki naked retro 750
01 Bandit 1200 full streetfighter 8O 8O
P-reg bandit 1200 semi- streetfighter
P-reg TDM 850
W-reg MGF CONVERTIBLE :!: :!:
P-reg Kawa ZRX1100 Needing downpipes and general tidy up
Around 5 people asking how much to buy my bike :!: :!:
1982 Kawasaki Z1100 in mint condition.

I've exhanged a few emails/pics with the owners of the two bikes im interested in,the GSX Retro and the Trophy,both seem very keen on mine ,but the Trophy seems a tad rough aroon the edges ,so that just leaves the GSX.
Standard bandits i'd be very interested in .

I advertised for swap not really expecting any response ....just shows ya :!:

'Tis a BIG decision gettin rid of a 'storm ,so im takin ma time... :wink2
Last edited by bikerpiker on Sat May 09, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stevie
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

My Dads got a 1200 Trophy bp.

If you want a big (and heavy...) comfy bike you can’t go wrong. The build isn’t bad (its a P reg) and my Dad bought it on retirement from the Fire Service. He's had it nearly 10 years now and it’s never missed a beat. The rear shocker is now ready for replacement tbf and it could do with a bit of a tidy-one of the end cans has rotted slightly.

He wanted something different recently but went the opposite way to you buying a Guzzi V11 Sport. In saying that, he's found the Guzzi slightly uncomfortable on longer runs and loves the Triumph so much he's decided to keep it :)

How about the TDM? Always thought they'd be a comfy alternative to the VTR?
SP1's rock!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You've certainly had some options offered there Stevie :!: The Suzi above does look in nice condition, but I think you'd find the smaller engine a lot more buzzy than the Storm. Only my opinion I know,

Chris.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Jbrebel wrote:My Dads got a 1200 Trophy bp.

If you want a big (and heavy...) comfy bike you can’t go wrong. The build isn’t bad (its a P reg) and my Dad bought it on retirement from the Fire Service. He's had it nearly 10 years now and it’s never missed a beat. The rear shocker is now ready for replacement tbf and it could do with a bit of a tidy-one of the end cans has rotted slightly.

He wanted something different recently but went the opposite way to you buying a Guzzi V11 Sport. In saying that, he's found the Guzzi slightly uncomfortable on longer runs and loves the Triumph so much he's decided to keep it :)

How about the TDM? Always thought they'd be a comfy alternative to the VTR?
The Trophy would be a decent bike ,but it had 42k on the clock(my Firestorm 24k),and according to the close-up pics the chap sent ,was a bit rough, quite a lot of rusty bits , i was a bit dissapointed tbh ,as the bike i sold to buy my 'storm,which was a J-reg Daytona 1000/4 ,was actually cleaner .
I know 42K isn't high miles, indeed my Triumph Daytona had 52k when i sold it, it was running great, and hardly used a drop of oil , but with this Trophy being a year older than my 'storm , higher miles , and not in as good nick, i suppose i thought i'd be gettin a raw deal in a straight swap.

The TDM....... they do look comfy , i havn't ruled it out completely ,but ........i'll wait a bit yet , see if anything else turns up ...
Stevie
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

As pain in the butt/hips when doing high miles is the main reason i was thinking of getting rid of my Firestorm ,ive been searching to find out how someone as skint as me could make my seat more comfortable (i'm still only workin a 4 day week,some weeks only 3 days ) :cry:

I watched an "air hawk " inflatable seat pad on ebay last week, it sold for £95 8O fook that :!:
Sargent seats are around £320 8O

I found this --

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136007

...i think if i was buying one i'd buy a black one and cut it to size , ie make it a bit more discreet :!: Looks ok for a tenner :!: Dunno if i'd get the piss taken out of me though :confused .

Good to know there is a cheap option if i want to go down that route :!:

http://www.lambland.co.uk/shop/advanced ... &x=15&y=10
Stevie
warby221

Post by warby221 »

If your wrists are ok on the storm m8 think the problems more to do with the seat to peg height and the fact that the storm puts your feet directly under your butt
Think you could do with lower and further forward or even further back
I always end up with cramp in my left leg because of the way the pegs position my legs
Ps we would take the piss :lol: :lol: :lol:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Cheers mate......i expected that , nowt like givin me confidence :lol: :lol:
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stevie,

If I were your cat I be very, very afraid :!: :eek2 :lol:

Perhaps something like this could help. This is just to give you an idea of how (as Warby suggests) you could lower footrests and/or place them further forward or further back. Note the first link from Busters don't include the actual footrests, they're extra, also there are different sizes 23mm 30mm & 50mm. IMHO you wouldn't want to go to low as you may have ground clearance problems. The second link gives you a demo on the different positions available. LotusSevenMan fitted a set to his Storm as he's also a tall guy like yourself:-

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/pr ... er3url=MFW

http://www.mfw-wolf.de/en/products/moto ... arke=Honda

Chris.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Those look interesting,cheers....Tbh i'm not sure what to do ,i might go for the cheap option first ,ie the sheepskin cover ,and just use it for longer runs ,cos that's the only time i get pain.

Although the seat height is lower than what my Triumph Daytona was ,it's not really my legs that hurt , just hips and butt , so maybe a comfier seat would solve the problem, worth starting there anyway !

I did get the same pain on my Daytona , i remember one day after a lot of miles ,we swapped bikes for a few miles, and i got a go my a mates zzr600 ,and it was like instant relief :D
Stevie
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bikerpiker wrote: sheepskin cover ????

not really my legs that hurt , just butt???

and i got a go my a mates zzr600 ,and it was like instant relief :D

Now I happen to have a ZZR6 and I get my instant relief no trouble at all without resorting to the sheepskin shenanigans you seem to be suggesting.

But I'll give most things a go once 8O so will report back.

This swapping just leads you deeper and deeper into the murk, doesn't it?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

bikerpiker wrote:...i might go for the cheap option first ,ie the sheepskin cover ...
Trouble is when it rains the sheepskin goes a bit manky and sheds hairs. Still comfy though. So you'll be going home with a smile on yer face, sheep hairs all over yer crotch, smelling of manky sheep, piss wet through... what are folk going to think?