best tyres for storm??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Frontslide

Re: best tyres for storm??

Post by Frontslide »

sirch345 wrote:
Kitch wrote:I'd just like to add how I'm loving the Michellin Pilot Road 2.

I've had Bridgestone BT014, BT021, Avon Storm ST on it before and the Michellins are the best out of all of them. Even the criminally short lived (1000 miles) BT014 supposedly grippy sporty race tyre.

And here's the kicker, I've done 10,000 miles on mine. I got the same mileage out of the Avons, but had a few tiny slides on them and it knocked my confidence in them.

So there you go. Cleared that up eh.

Only 50 different recommendations to choose from :)
I'm I reading this right Kitch, you've got 10,000 miles out of the Michellin Pilot Road 2 tyres and by that you mean the back tyre too :?:

Chris.
If this is right defo my next tyres :eek2
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Yep.

I put em on at 24,000 and am now on 32,000 and have way more than 2,000 miles left on them.

Mind you, riding in the wet doesn't wear your tyres very much and seeing as these last few weeks have been the only dry riding I've done on them (crappy British weather) they might'n last more than 6,000 if you did that mileage over a nice Summer.

I am a bit of a tyre pressure fetishist though and this really does help.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kitch wrote:Yep.

I put em on at 24,000 and am now on 32,000 and have way more than 2,000 miles left on them.

Mind you, riding in the wet doesn't wear your tyres very much and seeing as these last few weeks have been the only dry riding I've done on them (crappy British weather) they might'n last more than 6,000 if you did that mileage over a nice Summer.

I am a bit of a tyre pressure fetishist though and this really does help.
Still very impressive mileage Kitch :!:

Do you stick to the recommended tyre pressures (36psi front & 42psi rear) :?:
or as some find slightly less is better :?:

Chris.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

36 front, 42 rear.

A lot of people talk baldrocks about dropping pressures for more grip etc.

<rant>

There's a reason the people WHO MAKE THE FRIKKIN TYRES recommend these pressures. You think they spend all that money on figuring out how their product performs best and then your mate down the pub knows better?

To me, its equivalent to saying "oh you don't need to lube your chain ever, it actually runs better like that."

</rant> (n.b. not directed at you Chris man :) )

The only reason ever to run lower pressures is when you're caning it on the track and you're generating enough temperature.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kitch wrote:36 front, 42 rear.

A lot of people talk baldrocks about dropping pressures for more grip etc.

<rant>

There's a reason the people WHO MAKE THE FRIKKIN TYRES recommend these pressures. You think they spend all that money on figuring out how their product performs best and then your mate down the pub knows better?

To me, its equivalent to saying "oh you don't need to lube your chain ever, it actually runs better like that."

</rant> (n.b. not directed at you Chris man :) )

The only reason ever to run lower pressures is when you're caning it on the track and you're generating enough temperature.
No I didn't think it was directed at me Kitch :D Well I hoped it wasn't :lol:

I personally find the tyre pressures set at the recommended pressure work best for me too :!: I also find a small drop in pressure (probably more so with the front tyre) are quite noticeable on the Storm, I can usually detect a change in pressure immediately I start my journey.

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

But of course it's the pressure difference between the internal tyre pressure and barometric pressure that actually makes a difference.

On overcast, cloudy days, when low pressure systems are in the area, I like to drop my tyres pressures a little, and on fine, high pressures weather systems they need to be raised a bit.

Around half a PSI adjustment will do the trick.

I use the standard hall barometer for this, no need for a fancy scientific tool, but I can report that seaweed isn't accurate enough, unless your'e really on a budget.

By the way, the increased tyre diameter will also affect the gearing when the tyre swells more if you're in a lower pressure system, and vice versa, so this will potentially have an effect on the fuel consumption.

However, when analysed this is nearly always due the engine efficiency increase in low pressure systems, as the amount of moisture in the air and its lower temperature mean that more air actually gets into each cylinder intake and the engine runs better.

I make my own tyres by vulcanising unwanted rubber plants.

I know it's quite labour-intensive, but the results are quite good, considering.

But leaf-shine ruins the roadholding, especially in the rain.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
knuckledragger

Post by knuckledragger »

Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

+1 :lol: :lol: :lol: Rubberplant :lol: :lol: :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I liked the seaweed bit :lol: :lol:

Chris.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Got around 5K miles out of a pair of 021's and found them to be excellent in all conditions. On a whim this time I've decided to try the new Pirelli Angel ST - only done a couple of hundred miles so far but they seem fine, will be interesting how long they last....
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
c13tay

Post by c13tay »

may be a bit out there but I like the Conti road attack - lots of grip, reasonably cheap and a big foot print !!
donk

Post by donk »

I had conti's on my GSXR found them to be a good tyre for the money. Didn't think they would last long on the storm with the amount of torque it kicks out!
c13tay

Post by c13tay »

I used em on my 1200 bandit and on my VFR - had no problems