Braided Brake Lines

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Alfa156V6

Braided Brake Lines

Post by Alfa156V6 »

I would like to change the front brake lines to braided, should I do a straight swap with a three line set or should I use a two line over the fender kit. I assume the latter will have a speacial banjo to join the master cylinder.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Braided Brake Lines

Post by sirch345 »

I've not heard of many fitting braided hoses in the standard set-up of three hoses. Most I would say go for two hoses, both from the master cylinder which requires a longer banjo bolt at the master cylinder. I have known a few to fit one hose from the master cylinder to the caliper, then both calipers linked with a shorter hose going up and over the front mudguard as you mentioned. To do that a longer banjo bolt would be needed for one of the brake calipers.

You'll get arguments for both of the two hose set-ups I've mentioned as to which is the best. So the choice is yours. I personally (when I do mine) will use a two hose set-up, both coming from the master cylinder.

The most important thing when buying stainless steel hoses is NOT to buy any (for road use) with alloy fittings :!:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Mine came with three braided lines on the front, and I'd recommend the two-line version.

With three, you have to undo the little junction box by the headstock whenever you want to lift the RH clip-on off the fork leg.

It's just annoying, and a two line kit wouldn't need this.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
knuckledragger

Post by knuckledragger »

Finally got round to fitting a branded 2 line. Very easy to fit but a pain to bleed.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

did you hold the last caliper up so that air bubbles could escape, or try to do it on the wheel?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.