firestorm timing chain springs or something??

General Biker Banter
potterballs

firestorm timing chain springs or something??

Post by potterballs »

hi guys and girls.

this is my first post so be gentle :o

ive got a 98 plate storm in red (44k on clock) its great but some one told me about getting some timing springs or tentioners or something changed as they are common things to go and aperantly your engine is wrecked if they do! :eek2

they told me to come on here as someone makes them or sells them on here.

so if thats you get me some or if you could all give me any advice not only on this but on storms in general as i know how to ride them and thats about it.

thankyou

mark (from bolton) who is goin to the TT on the 3rd yipeee
Jim67

Re: firestorm timing chain springs or something??

Post by Jim67 »

Hi mate and welcome,
The thing you are on about is called a Cam chain tensioner or cct, yep they are probs the only achilles heal apart from the tank range.
There are a few ways to safe guard your storm ranging from modded ccts to manual ccts, both are good options.
If you do a search on the forum for ccts you should find all you need to know.
Any questions mate then just ask.
Cheers,
Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
kevg

Post by kevg »

hi matey, if you search recent posts styler4077 was trying to drum up interest for a group buy of ape modified ones from america, i think they were at a reasonable price for what they are to.

styler anything to add? how is the order going, you got enough names yet?
cheerz

kev
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Mark and welcome aboard :!: :D

The only other thing that is weak on the Firestorm is the rectifier (a quick explanation of what the rectifier does:- it converts the AC (alternating current) from the alternator to DC (direct current) which is whats required to charge the battery. It also regulates the amount of DC current that goes to the battery so it doesn't over charge it). The rectifier is located in behind the tail/seat plastic's on the right hand side (rear brake pedal side) of the bike. If your's has been replaced at some point it should have cooling fins on it. I would have thought with the miles your bike has done it will have been replaced before now.

If yours doesn't have one the with cooling fins then it would be wise to get one fitted with fins. The popular one to fit is either a Yamaha R1 or R6 earlier type.

Cheers,

Chris.
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

Oh yeah I forgot about the reg/rec !!!! cheers sirch :mrgreen:

Jim.

potterballs

Post by potterballs »

thanx guys which one is the best to get and where do i get one from? are they easy to fit? also im thinking of putting samco hoses on it wot do you think??
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

CCT's? Search the workshop sticky section, there's loads of different opinions.
The latest (pink dot) CCT's are reputed to be safe, but I'd much rather be sure personally and eith fit the little slugs inside or go for manuals. You can decide for yourself once you've read the posts.

Reg/Rec- either a R6 or R1 is an easy replacement, once you see the "how to" post again in "workshop" sticky section. You can get these from almost any breaker or from E-bay.

Samco hoses? The standard hoses work fine, they don't blow as far as reports on the forum go (no more than any others, anyway) so the only reason would be for the colour options.
Go for it if bling's your thing.

Your can feel the fan kick in when the engine gets hot; if it doesn't start just give it a nudge with your (gloved) hand and away it'll go.

Although there's only a fan on one rad (RH side) it's plenty enough to keep the engine cool.

And of course get it sprayed yellow, or lose between 2-4 MPH :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

tony.mon wrote:
And of course get it sprayed yellow, or lose between 2-4 MPH :D
Now thats one thing you really dont want to do as the yellow ones attract the flies....... in the same way dog poo does !!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim.

potterballs

Post by potterballs »

thanx guys!

i will take the advice and look for the cct,s on here reg/rect i will get off ebay and i will give the samcos a miss if they arnt any better.

now if there are any magicians out there can you tell me how to get more than 62 miles befor the fuel light comes on??

and if you say dont twist the right hand as much this may be a problem haha
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

potterballs wrote:thanx guys!

i will take the advice and look for the cct,s on here reg/rect i will get off ebay and i will give the samcos a miss if they arnt any better.

now if there are any magicians out there can you tell me how to get more than 62 miles befor the fuel light comes on??

and if you say dont twist the right hand as much this may be a problem haha
I can, get it serviced and carbs balanced. Only at sustained 120mph runs (on private roads of course) have I ever got only 95 to reserve and its normally 110/115.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!