Timing CCT a pain in the butt HELP !!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
wotisgoingon

Timing CCT a pain in the butt HELP !!!

Post by wotisgoingon »

Hi all im new here found this site after having trouble with my CCT
I Bought my firestorm S reg for £800 cheap as chips when i bought her she needed the CCT replacing which So i thought wasnt too big a problem
after a 100 miles or so the bike was back firing having trouble starting so i thought better change them .
Took the old ones out put new ones in simple surely but oh dear ......................
Bike didnt start and felt like starter motor was jammed .
Took heads off everythings looks ok starter motors ok so i guess timing needs doing ,
The bike started off being a cheap hack for me but has since been a big thorn in my butt
can anyone help me with regards to timing , i just hope i've not bent a valve
Thanks in advance
Beamish

Re: Timing CCT a pain in the butt HELP !!!

Post by Beamish »

I know hindsight sucks but you should have come here first. I would say you have bent a valve . At best the timing is one tooth out and that is an easy fix.
Good luck, start form the begining of the CCT fitment thread and see if it runs.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
wotisgoingon

Post by wotisgoingon »

Having found this site after i refitted the cct's was a arrgghghhhhh moment
WHAT have i done kind of thing
Ive never had to do timing before in my life so its all a bit mush in my brain especially after a few beers
I only want to get her fixed so i can flog it and get something to ride with less problems
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Where are you located? If someone is close they could possibly offer some help. The Storm's only issues are CCT's and reg rectifier thats it!
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
wotisgoingon

Post by wotisgoingon »

I live in aylesbury buckinghamshire i can strip bikes and rebuild with my eyes closed but have never done timing
A manual would be very handy lol
are there any online ?
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

Beamish wrote:I know hindsight sucks but you should have come here first. I would say you have bent a valve . At best the timing is one tooth out and that is an easy fix.
Good luck, start form the begining of the CCT fitment thread and see if it runs.
one tooth out won't bend a valve 8)
goody

Post by goody »

To check the cam timing you need to have both cam covers off and the plugs on the alternator cover removed. Turn the flywheel over until the RT mark is lined up in the smaller hole on the alternator cover.
The cam sprockets on the rear cylinder should now be in the position as detailed in part 9 of this post.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326
If not they could be 180 deg. out so turn the flywheel over one revolution until the RT mark lines up again.
you should have the RT mark lined up and the RI and RE (rear inlet, rear exhaust) marks on the cam sprockets lined up with the top of the head.
Thats the rear timed correctly.
To check the front rotate the flywheel anti clockwise one and a quarter turns unitl the FT mark lines up in the small hole, now check that the cam sprockets (think the marks are FE and FI) are lined up with the head like the rear one was.
If you need to move them I suppose unscrewing the tension from the CCT might give you enough slack to turn the cams to their proper position (not sure I didn't need to adjust mine)
All the info's in the link to the CCT removal thread.
Good Luck.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Frontslide wrote:
Beamish wrote:I know hindsight sucks but you should have come here first. I would say you have bent a valve . At best the timing is one tooth out and that is an easy fix.

I know thats why i said 'at best' but from his write up it sounds worse than just a tooth out.
goody

Post by goody »

Whilst the cam covers are off check the valve clearances, if a valve is bent then it won't seat correctly and the valve gap will be much too big.
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

Beamish wrote:
Frontslide wrote:

I know thats why i said 'at best' but from his write up it sounds worse than just a tooth out.
Sorry, skim reading again :shifty:
wotisgoingon

Post by wotisgoingon »

Thanks people will have a go 2mrw and see if i can get it sorted
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

My turn for a stoopid question.

With a bent valve, will the motor turn over and run or will it not even start?
Just researching my one cylinder problem. Booked it into the garage next week as they believe its a valve clearance and compression problem. Hoping it wasn't anything more sinister?
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

depends how bent it is!!

See, had you come over i could have done compression and leak-down tests for you. :lol:
Ride Safe
Phil
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Hey, I still can. I only booked the local service as I 'm away until 19th now.
Are you about over that weekend or the first part of that week??

Would much appreciate it and can probably get it done with you a bit cheeper than the 150 the Honda garage wants!!

PM if theres a day thats good for you!
Cheers and apologies
Simon
wotisgoingon

Post by wotisgoingon »

Dont worry found a manual online will percevere !!