New CCT's

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rob

New CCT's

Post by Rob »

I want to replace the CCT's on my 02 as a precaution - just approaching 15K miles. Had the bike since new but now use it mainly for commuting so doing 4-5K/year.

Have a mate at a local bike shop who can get me parts at cost and he checked and said that the chain guides have been through 3 revisions but the tensioners have never been changed (According to Honda parts list)

So the question is, as I've read threads on here about revised tensioners, how can you get the new tensioners (or be sure you are) if there is no new part number? Obviously I'd like my mate to get them as I'll get the discount, just need to tell him exactly what to order/look for.

I've read about coloured dots? Is it a lottery when you buy them?

Thanks for any advice, just want to continue with the hassle free riding - had 3 problems in 7 years - 2 batteries and head bearings :-)

Another mechanic mate will fit them for me and check valve clearances at the same time. It all looks pretty straight forward and he knows what he is doing but never done a Storm before - anything I need to tell him to beware of/look out for?

Thanks for any advice, will be nice to get this worry behind me and have several more years of trouble free fun.

Rob.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
goody

Re: New CCT's

Post by goody »

Check out the guide in the workshop knowledgebase print it out and give it to him. Make sure each cylinder is at TDC compression before removing the old ones. If he's ordering new CCT's from Honda I would guess that they get through so many that the ones you get would be the latest.
Anyone know why the guides were changed and at what years?
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

Good luck with the ccts!!!! why dont you go manual and forget about the worries and hassle???

Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rob,
As Goody says, follow the instructions in the workshop knowledge base, as a V twin is NOT the same as an inline 4 when it comes to changing the CCT's.

That's the first I've heard of revised cam chain guides :!: As for the different colour dots on the CCT's I've not had any hard evidence on possible upgrades with the different colours, although some say garages they've spoken too seem to think they have been updated over the years.

Chris.
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

Below is a post on the superhawk forum, these where my finding's too (The part number's not sure about thew dots)
http://superhawkforum.com/forums/showpo ... stcount=23