He makes it look easy.

General Bike chat
bikerpiker

He makes it look easy.

Post by bikerpiker »

This chap makes it look so easy, have any of you guys tried turning your bike using this method ? It deffinately has it's benefits ,but i personally don't like the idea of all that weight being taken by the sidestand/bracket .

CLICKY -
Stevie
Phil-VTwin

Re: He makes it look easy.

Post by Phil-VTwin »

I see too much flex in mine when it gets leaned over so i dont think it would last that long but a good way of turning it round :)
Ride Safe
Phil
Chillitt

Post by Chillitt »

That trick would be much more use if there was some way turn end up with the bike facing the opposite direction... :think:
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

My local bike mot place used to actually balance my Triumph Daytona like that when doing mot checks ,as the centre-stand had been removed.
I hated the idea so much that i made a stand which bolted onto the bracket where the centre-stand had been removed,and i would take the stand to the mot garage with me.
Must say though ,it does seem quite a common way to move your bike in a confined space,judging by the youtube vids.

Stevie
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

I do it all the time on the Fireblade. No worse than sitting on the bike with the stand down.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

dead easy mate, got me out a few tight spots in the past :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Tbh the real reason i made the stand for the Daytona was for maintanance at home,but it did come in handy for mot's,as the Triumph was so heavy it took two mechanics to balance it on the side-stand ,or maybe they didnt have the nack.

I've just checked this 'site Mike posted a while back ---------------

CLICKY- http://motoprofi.com/motospecspictures/ ... -2002.html

every make and model of bike is listed, how accurate these figures are, i'm not sure, but it's saying .....

Firestorm dry weight- 192kg/423lbs
Bandit 1200s (2002) - 220kg/485lbs
Daytona 1000 (1991)- 268kgs/591lbs ,.......so my Daytona1000 was 12 stone 8O 8O heavier than my Firestorm ,and 7.5 stone heavier than my current Bandit 1200s 8O .

It might very well be easy enough to turn a sports bike like that, but it's possibly different on an old dinosaur like a Triumph Daytona , i dare say it's all in the knack ,and being confident ....ffs...ive only just mastered getting the bandit on it's centre-stand :oops: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by bikerpiker on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:lol: :lol: I like that Stevie, not to be tried at home I'd say. Well I won't be trying it anyway :wink:
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Blimey! That does look easy, but I know what would happen if I tried it. The stand would sink into some loose ground and I'd either a) not be able to shift it at all or I'd be laying on my back 'cos I'm pinned down by the bike!!! :crazy:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

or c, the stand would snap
Ride Safe
Phil
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Don't think the sidestand would snap, I've developed the trick of leaning over the bike from the left hand side, reaching down to the RH pillion peg, lifting the rear wheel off the ground and spinning the rear wheel when cleaning chain lube off the rear. Just the sidestand and front wheel on the ground.

Also pulling the bike to the left so that the front wheel can go round with a kick of the tyre for the same job at the front. this time, just the sidestand and rear wheel touching down.

Sidestand seems plenty strong enough, although I wouldn't try it on anything other than a good surface.

BTW, you can also lean a bike with a centrestand over so that only one leg of the centrestand is in contact with the ground and do the same thing.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Thats good to know, there seems to be a far amount of play on mine at the pivot bolt but i dont know if this is normal or not :?
Ride Safe
Phil
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

Dont try it on tarmac!!!! :biggrin

Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I wouldn't recommend it.
That's almost exactly how I bent my stand on the Storm.
I was off touring, seeing some family North of Newcastle. Admittedly I had a couple of bags loaded on the rear seat with all my kit in them. All I did was lean the bike over on the side stand and front wheel, lift the rear off the ground, and start spraying some oil on the chain. Next thing I new the wheel was back on the floor and the bike was trying to squash me :wtf:
It was fixable, with the help of a vice and a big hammer, but I wont be recommending it on my 'Safe biking practices list' :lol:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I can't say I ever had an issue-but i don't do it all that often. Only if I HAVE to wiggle the bike out of a tight spot. If they were supposed to be moved like that it'd be common practice all over I suppose :think:

Get it wrong and they go with a fair old bang :biggrin have witnessed that more than once...
SP1's rock!