HELP!!! Lost Key, steering lock on WTF can I do?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gilson

HELP!!! Lost Key, steering lock on WTF can I do?

Post by gilson »

Hi All,

Track bike, going to Brands on Friday. Started bike on Tuesday all good. Locked it up, job done.

Steering lock on! :twisted: :twisted: :oops:

Now Key is lost... still have time to find it, and I'm sure it's around, but how do I

1) hot wire it?
2) disengage the steering lock?

I do have a couple of other Honda bike keys to try so I'm hoping with a bit of wiggling! If I can't find it then I'd appreciate any advice to get it rideable again...

Thanks and please HELP!!!!
No bike (yet).
donk

Re: HELP!!! Lost Key, steering lock on WTF can I do?

Post by donk »

DOH!!! Have you tried ringing a honda shop they may be able to offer advice or order a new key if you give them the chassis number, you could try a locksmith or, this is my favorite, you could use a hammer!!!
kevg

Post by kevg »

you know any local bike thieves, they can overide the lock and break the stearing lock in seconds...sorry not much help i know, i'd try a dealer but they may not get your key in time for the weekend.
cheerz

kev
mwross1964

Post by mwross1964 »

Sorry to hear that Martyn, hope you get it sorted in time.
anything with wheels or tits is gonna cost ya money.
but who needs money
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Personally, I'd have a go at removing the lock undamaged but this means removing the top yolk and punch driving off of the two underside sheared bolts holding the switch in place. Despite the steering being locked (the locking pin is extended into the frame recess) I'm fairly sure the barrel can be wriggled out.

Once the end cap is released from the barrel, you'll be able to switch it on/off (but so will everyone else). At least you're on the road/track with an intact lock and just a key to source. If you are reasonably close to London, you might consider taking the detached lock to Keys Galore in Camden where they'll match the key to it. If you knew the key/barrel number, they might even post you one.

Keys Galore
96 Gloucester Avenue
London
NW1 8HX
Tel: 020 7586 9741

They've got me out of a pickle plenty of times.
Hope it helps and good luck.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Don't panic as you'll never find it :wink:

Go and have a cup of tea, then when you've chilled out a bit, think about the last time you had the key. Then try to retrace the possibilities of where you could have put it, IE dropped it on the work bench when you did something else, or one of my favourites is what were you wearing at the time, is it in one of those pockets,

Chris.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Think your spot on there Chris :thumbup:

You'll have a job on striping the front end back to get to the ignition with the steering lock on. Those shear off bolts are a right b@stard too-suppose thats what they are there for :? . Its pretty easy to break the steering lock if done right-I'm sure you'll prolly have an idea mate-but I'll not put it on the board and would'nt advise it anyway.

Good luck :thumbup: I'm sure your keys will turn up in the daftest place!
SP1's rock!
gilson

Post by gilson »

Thanks Guys!

Spent most of the morning tidying the garage - it's not in there for sure.... at least that was a job done.

I'll try getting the spare key first in conjunction with asking my local mechanic to sort it... Barrel number, OK, will do... I'll check all pockets too...

Phoned Honda, they said the barrel is difficult to get out if the steering lock is on.. I'll have to remove the forks... no big deal....

Apparently St Anthony is the Saint of lost things... Come on you old boy, help an athiest out?

Kettle on, then a self established backwards meditation to remember what I was wearing...

Cheers!
No bike (yet).
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

How about the toolbox/ Snap-on chest?

Done that before - opened up the toolkit and there was the set?

Were you outside or in the garage? What else was around?
Could it be in...
1- the documentation that was lying around? (Haynes manual etc)
2- Clothing? (my other favourite!)
3- If outside, kicked into the grass? (£9.99 metal detector from Maplin)
4- Placed somewhere SAFE by yourself or a loved one?
5- Hanging out of the rear seat release key barrel? (lost 20 mins to THAT one!)
6- If it's a track bike then on the trailer/in the van?

Hope MY lapes of memory help yours!!!

SK
donk

Post by donk »

if you cant find the key, i will be happy to take bike off your hands for £50!!!!! :biggrin
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Check the washing machine, always a good place to find lost items :lol:
Ride Safe
Phil
gilson

Post by gilson »

Tried all that apart from the loved one... 2 year old... enough said....

Still looking, clothes, washing machine etc... spoke to local mechanic, says he's going to sort it for me... I think he's going to brake the steering lock and then get the barrel out. I'll then get a new key...

I won't watch! Poor bike....
Cheers for all your help..
No bike (yet).
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

use a screw driver jammed in and a pair of stilsons for leverage and twist, youll force the lock breaking in process, as a track bike you dont need a lock!! oh yeah use a driver with a nut bit on the shank!
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Oooo that's agressive... but might have to come to that.

I'm going to drop the forks and take off the yoke... then take that to my local M and he'll get the barrel out. Hopefully that'll be all done today! Arrrgghhh.... St. Anthony, what do you want from me!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
No bike (yet).
gilson

Post by gilson »

Twinpotter wrote:Personally, I'd have a go at removing the lock undamaged but this means removing the top yolk and punch driving off of the two underside sheared bolts holding the switch in place. Despite the steering being locked (the locking pin is extended into the frame recess) I'm fairly sure the barrel can be wriggled out.

Once the end cap is released from the barrel, you'll be able to switch it on/off (but so will everyone else). At least you're on the road/track with an intact lock and just a key to source. If you are reasonably close to London, you might consider taking the detached lock to Keys Galore in Camden where they'll match the key to it. If you knew the key/barrel number, they might even post you one.
this is what I did. Unfortunately I had to hacksaw the steering lock bolt off because I couldn't get it out otherwise. So now I can start it but will order a new key or a complete lock from a breakers yard (even a pattern one is 45GBP!)

Local mechanic got out the bolts though (they are extremely difficult to get out as they don't have a head and are locktited in.... he's good... cost me a tenner!

Far less stressed now and will put it all together tomorrow... phew!
Thanks for your help guys, it did direct me down the right path....
No bike (yet).