if it ain't one bleeding thing! HELP

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
METALDAN

if it ain't one bleeding thing! HELP

Post by METALDAN »

Just had new rectifier through, fitted it with new battery, runs lovely and charging perfectly so no more running round asda car park jumping on and off. :thumbup:

On the way home in right lane of dual carriageway, car in inside lane flicks out a piece of wood into my lane, no time to brake/swerve so just ran over it. not huge just a 12" square piece of flat plywood, anyway, now i'm getting repetitive vibrations in l/h corners, can't figure what it is, can't see anything stuck, had both calipers off, nothing there, front mudguard, hugger, it feels quite brake related any ideas, it was not a massive jolt by any stretch, i'm wondering axle or wheel bearing? :thumbdown:
Put me in an empty room with a brick and i'll either break it, lose it or hurt myself on it!!!
ImageImage
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: if it ain't one bleeding thing! HELP

Post by sirch345 »

If you can raise the front wheel off the ground you can check front wheel bearings. Check for side to side movement by holding the wheel at 10 o'clock with one hand and the other hand at 4 o'clock, (or at 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock) by trying to rock the wheel by pushing the wheel away from you with one hand and pulling it towards you at the same time with the other and vice-versa. Also spin the front wheel to check for any roaring from the bearings, if they're damaged there will be.

While you have the front suspended check the steering head bearings for any play there shouldn't be, grab hold of the fork legs standing in front of the bike try to move them back and forward. Also check by turning the bars to the left and the right, they should turn smoothly.

With the front wheel still suspended fix a piece of wire to one of the fork legs, to act as a pointer, you want it to be almost touching the wheel rim edge. Then spin the wheel and watch the wire pointer, if the wheel is buckled it will show by either moving up and down and/or left and right.

Chris.
METALDAN

Re: if it ain't one bleeding thing! HELP

Post by METALDAN »

cheers for that mate, play all over the play, new taper headstock bearings and wheel bearing en route. appreciate your help.
Put me in an empty room with a brick and i'll either break it, lose it or hurt myself on it!!!
ImageImage