Oh crap!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Phil-VTwin

Oh crap!

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Went to start the bike this morning, engine didn't turn over at all, gave the battery a charge as it lives outside all the time and tried again.

It turned over and started but noticed a lot a blue smoke out the back and also unburnt fuel was being spat out plus there is knock from the engine :cry:

Also noticed the oil level window was showing full, took the filler cap off and yep this smelt of petrol as well.

Any ideas?

BTW is was fine when i got home last night, no noises or smoke.
Ride Safe
Phil
franz125

Re: Oh crap!

Post by franz125 »

Petcock and floatchamber needlevalve problems.Check them.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

cheers, that is what i was hoping too.
Ride Safe
Phil
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Fer gawdssake, dont run the engine. It sounds like petrol has been running into the bores from faulty carbies. The oil will be diluted to hell, and there is a good chance that the bores will have been washed of the normal oil film that coats them.

Drain the oil, sort out the carb/petcovk problem. i personally would flush the oil system with a few litres of cheap supermarket oil, then change the filter and refill with decent oil.

Hope you get it sorted fella!
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

After the initial start its not going to be started again until its been stripped, checked and oil changed.

I think the reason for non turning over this morning was due to fact the cylinder was full of petrol and putting it in gear and moving it backwards open the exhaust valves and dumped the fuel down the exhaust but the question i have next is - do you think the con-rod may have got bent when trying to start it first time round?

Once i get the bike to my workshop i will compression test and leak-test it too.
Ride Safe
Phil
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Phil-VTwin wrote:After the initial start its not going to be started again until its been stripped, checked and oil changed.

I think the reason for non turning over this morning was due to fact the cylinder was full of petrol and putting it in gear and moving it backwards open the exhaust valves and dumped the fuel down the exhaust but the question i have next is - do you think the con-rod may have got bent when trying to start it first time round?

Once i get the bike to my workshop i will compression test and leak-test it too.
Warby of this here parish is your man for questions like that.

A similar thing happened to me on a RD350...floats got stuck, filled the engine with petrol and hydraulic locked it up.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Steve’s right don’t run the engine till you’ve changed the oil
It’s very unlikely you’ve bent the rods unless it did turn over and there was a hell of a bang.

But I think you’ve got some sh*t in the tank from some were
If you think about it you have the vacuum tap that turns the petrol off when the engines not running and the float valve that stops fuel flowing when the float chamber is full. So you need something that’s going to affect them both my money’s on a bit of crap in the fuel. Check the two pipes at the top of the carbs to there meant to be the carb overflows so the fuel should have come out of them if the float’s stick
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Well i eventually got the bike to my ex-wifes and into the workshop, yep it was dirt in the front carb float valve stopping it sealing and also there was a chunk of rubber in the fuel tap holding it open, where that came from i have no idea :eek2

Anyway, fresh oil and filter and she is running again with no knocks :)
Ride Safe
Phil
warby221

Post by warby221 »

A good result then glad it’s fixed
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Figured out where the rubber came from, i had been using extender pipes to supply the fuel from the tank on the bench, it was a slightly smaller bore than the Honda ones and twisting them on to the fuel tap cut a chunk out of the inside which lodged inside the tap.
Ride Safe
Phil